REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

40% drivetrain loss is one hell of an loss !
Advertisement
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #27
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
It's just a number that's generally accepted. Mind you, AWD drive train technology has improved significantly over the years. It could be 20% to 30% these days.

What do I know? I drive a Corolla.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Dinan is the best....lol im just being a jackass
AeroK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Dinan typically measures HP at the flywheel, not at the wheels.

In the example I posted above, the OP ended up with 416hp. He's also got an xDrive drive train.

Take 416hp and let's just use 40% drivetrain loss. 416hp x 1.40 = 582.4 AWHP. THat's a lot more than the advertised numbers.
Umm, what? The drivetrain doesn't add HP, it takes it away, and 40% loss is a stupidly high number. On top of that, your math is completely wrong. With 416AWHP and 40% loss he would have 693 crank HP.

Crank * (1 - loss) = wheel
Crank * (1 - 0.4) = 416
Crank = 416 / 0.6
Crank = 693 according to you.

Now knowing that Dinan may be a bit shifty I would say anyone considering their stuff should get a dyno pull done both before and after to be sure there was actually any change. Looking at the drag numbers alone I would say the Dinan "tune" didn't do shit. They were supposed to add a lot of power and that should provide a noticeable difference.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 04-24-2014 at 10:19 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #30
RS Veteran

you didn't read my previous post.

But whatever, I'm not an SAE engineer.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #31
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Is Your Dyno Lying? - Feature - Car and Driver
Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Guys, I just bought a 2011 Dinan S3-R (E93 cab). I 100% agree with you all that Dinan is extermely expensive and probably provides less bang for your buck when you compare with other tuners. I have owned E36, E46, E39, E60 M cars. While I could improve the performance, it was hard to improve driveablity and ride comfort. However when the complete Dinan package is installed, the cars feels like OEM but just more aggressive. I wouldn't pay $50K+ for the Dinan package, but I am very happy how the car performs. Sure you could build an M3 (SC & Coilovers) for allot less money and perform better lap times than the Dinan package, but as a complete package (performance, driveabliity, comfort), I think you would be hard pressed to beat Dinan. Plus having your 4 year/80K kms factory warranty intact is a huge benefit.
On M3post, allot of people bash Dinan's stroker motor, saying that a SC is a way better deal, but in the longrun, the SC will turf your motor and you lose the power curve of a NA motor. My two cents.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
I've never been a big fan of dinan, but it has nothing to do with the quality of product. It has to do with the performance/dollar ratio. If the parts were more of a reasonable price, I'd be very happy to have their products on my car. If I had a 65k car that was under warranty and I was planning on modding my car, I think the price of the warranty approval on the parts however may be worth that premium.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #34
#deephouse

The thing about dinan is the quality is there because of in house but not a lot of people will fork money for that price.

I dont mind paying money for their exhaust because its priced well compared to eisenmann.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #35
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I've never been a big fan of dinan, but it has nothing to do with the quality of product. It has to do with the performance/dollar ratio. If the parts were more of a reasonable price, I'd be very happy to have their products on my car. If I had a 65k car that was under warranty and I was planning on modding my car, I think the price of the warranty approval on the parts however may be worth that premium.
It depends on how much you want to mod it, I'm not overly familiar with the BMW lineup but couldn't the guy who dumped $20k into Dinan stuff just have bought a better BMW for $20k more?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #36

Well think of it this way. If I hypothetically had 120k in my bank account towards a car purchase, was a guy looking for a sports coupe I could drive every day and was a bmw fan, I'd head in tomorrow, buy an m3 and leave with my wallet 90k lighter. I want my car faster and more fun, without blowing that warranty I'd head to dinan. Bmw couldn't have offered me more car, because for what I wanted, that was already at the top. I do agree though blowing 20k on dinan upgrades for a non-M car to put the cost into M car territory makes no sense. Although people do it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #37
RS Veteran

More money than brains, I guess!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #38

Quote:
More money than brains, I guess!
How is buying Dinan parts make you not inteligent? buying expensive well engineered and tested components not make sense? Buying your cosmetic upgrades on Ebay is dumb. How many BMW tuning companies do you know have the R&D expertise of Dinan? How many tuning companies actually have Daytona prototype racers going to them to build an engine for 24hr racing?
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Well think of it this way. If I hypothetically had 120k in my bank account towards a car purchase, was a guy looking for a sports coupe I could drive every day and was a bmw fan, I'd head in tomorrow, buy an m3 and leave with my wallet 90k lighter. I want my car faster and more fun, without blowing that warranty I'd head to dinan. Bmw couldn't have offered me more car, because for what I wanted, that was already at the top. I do agree though blowing 20k on dinan upgrades for a non-M car to put the cost into M car territory makes no sense. Although people do it.
The fact is the M3 is just "normal car" in Vancouver. I love the fact I can drive a 500hp+ hardtop vert everyday and not worry too much about it!

Eventhough an M5 or M6 is faster in a straight line, I will never go back to either cars because they are just super fast land yachts.

I hope BMW make an M2.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #40
RS Veteran

I think you misunderstood the context of my post (if you even read my previous posts.)

I was basically responding to westopher's post where if you have a new BMW, and you buy Dinan, great. It works to your advantage and is worth the expense.

But buying say a 318ti and throwing $20K at it to make it a Dinan car, well....some people do it. Does it make sense? Uhh...not really? To each their own I guess?

This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #41
#deephouse

m power only
Old 04-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
How is buying Dinan parts make you not inteligent? buying expensive well engineered and tested components not make sense? Buying your cosmetic upgrades on Ebay is dumb. How many BMW tuning companies do you know have the R&D expertise of Dinan? How many tuning companies actually have Daytona prototype racers going to them to build an engine for 24hr racing?
No you missed the point of his response.

Buying a 335 and dumping 20k into it brings it to the price of an M3. So why the fuck didn't you just buy an M3 to begin with?

I think Jeremy Clarkson said it best once: "Why buy a brogue that has been converted into a training shoe, when for much less you can buy something designed from the ground up as a training shoe".

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #43
#deephouse

^ cause people be racking up the CC bills to pay for dinan instead of buying a M car.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
No you missed the point of his response.

Buying a 335 and dumping 20k into it brings it to the price of an M3. So why the fuck didn't you just buy an M3 to begin with?

I think Jeremy Clarkson said it best once: "Why buy a brogue that has been converted into a training shoe, when for much less you can buy something designed from the ground up as a training shoe".
He just took dukes post out of context, thats all. I did too when I first read it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #45

Quote:
I think you misunderstood the context of my post (if you even read my previous posts.)

I was basically responding to westopher's post where if you have a new BMW, and you buy Dinan, great. It works to your advantage and is worth the expense.

But buying say a 318ti and throwing $20K at it to make it a Dinan car, well....some people do it. Does it make sense? Uhh...not really? To each their own I guess?
My bad, I misunderstood your comment. I agree 100% with you. The factory always does tuning the best. However m cars are still pretty soft nowadays
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R