REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Equipment (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694652-equipment.html)

alwayslive 04-22-2014 02:17 PM

Equipment

Planning on getting my first bike soon. Where in vancouver can i get good equipment? And around how much should I spend on it? I'm only going to be riding a 125-250cc so I don't know if that affects anything.
Posted via RS Mobile

604STIG 04-22-2014 02:29 PM

Here's a list of local shops. Just remember if you don't know for certain what size you take speak with someone and try stuff on, worst thing you can do is buy gear that doesn't fit you properly.
Vancouver:
-Vancouver BMW/Ducati
-Bayside Performance
-Carter Honda

Burnaby:
-Burnaby Kawasaki
-Imperial Motorcycles
Richmond:
-Pacific BMW

Raid3n 04-22-2014 04:51 PM

fixed that for you lol
tbh, if you're buying a lot of gear at once, go to modern
you can get REALLY good deals if you buy a bunch of stuff at once

320icar 04-22-2014 05:10 PM

I'm actually in the same boat. Don't forget to check prices online as well. Lots of places still may have 2013 designs in stock for a big discount. Never buy without test fitting though. Hit up your local dealer and make sure to get the size of something you might want to order online.

Also, don't forget to strattle a bike when test fitting riding gear. A jacket might fit and feel great standing, but once hunched over on a sport bike you may find it binds in the shoulder etc. same goes for helmet blind spots or even what kind of boots you get vs the shifter geometry on your bike
Posted via RS Mobile

Gwilo 04-22-2014 05:15 PM

You forgot

Modern on Commercial

Honda Centre on 1st in Burnaby

racerman88 04-22-2014 05:42 PM

I have dealt with Burnaby Kawasaki since I first started riding and they are really good.
All the staff here have treated me really well.

Aaron at Modern is good as well. Get a quote from him on a package deal and you ask him if he can do better if you pay cash. He can do that b/c it is a family business.

Rob at Daytona in Surrey is really good as well. You get a bit of a discount if you did the course through PRS.

quasi 04-22-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 8459830)
Aaron at Modern is good as well. Get a quote from him on a package deal and you ask him if he can do better if you pay cash. He can do that b/c he is committing tax fraud on the sale and passing some of the saving on to you.

FYP and before anyone gets there panties in a knot it happens all over the place all the time I'm just stating the fact.

320icar 04-22-2014 07:06 PM

Clearly it's you who has their panties in a bunch
Posted via RS Mobile

quasi 04-23-2014 06:52 AM

I only wear panties on Sunday's but it's not that serious friend, family business and great deals got it chief. :)

604STIG 04-23-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 8459796)
fixed that for you lol
tbh, if you're buying a lot of gear at once, go to modern
you can get REALLY good deals if you buy a bunch of stuff at once

It wasn't by mistake that I missed Modern on my list. I just didn't want to add any place that I don't shop at myself for whatever reasons.

Raid3n 04-23-2014 10:52 AM

fair enough, but why leave it out of a list for someone else, if you don't shop there for personal reasons? let someone else make that decision for themselves. i've had my own problems there, but i just avoid certain people at the store like the plague.

meme405 04-23-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 8460196)
fair enough, but why leave it out of a list for someone else, if you don't shop there for personal reasons? let someone else make that decision for themselves. i've had my own problems there, but i just avoid certain people at the store like the plague.

Huh?

If someone asks for recommendations on places to shop you would give them a list including places where you have had previous issues with?

I know that if I have a bad experience with a retailer, I am not going to be including them in any lists to anyone. Well unless I hate that person.

Unless I missed something that 604Stig said and you edited out...

Think of this in terms of cars. You got to a shop to have some maintenance work done and you find out the shop overcharged you and didn't perform all of the work they said. Then just out of coincidence you come on the internet and someone is asking where to get the fluid change done on their car, would you then recommend that shop where you just had your car serviced? I certainly wouldn't.

Recon604 04-23-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 8459830)
I have dealt with Burnaby Kawasaki since I first started riding and they are really good.
All the staff here have treated me really well.

Aaron at Modern is good as well. Get a quote from him on a package deal and you ask him if he can do better if you pay cash. He can do that b/c it is a family business.

Rob at Daytona in Surrey is really good as well. You get a bit of a discount if you did the course through PRS.

Aaron wouldnt do that for me...

Raid3n 04-23-2014 04:15 PM

fair enough, i won't go to modern for mechanical work or parts on vintage bikes because of murray, but i'll gladly go there for gear because of aaron and nate.

i probably worded it poorly, and all i edited was removing my addition of modern to his post.

alwayslive 04-26-2014 11:44 PM

thanks for the replies everyone :)
Around how much did you guys spend on your first set of gear?
Posted via RS Mobile

320icar 04-27-2014 01:22 AM

About a grand I'd say for pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, jeans. If u get deals
Posted via RS Mobile

Gwilo 04-27-2014 03:32 AM

I do not know about $ 10 or $ 20.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/...49300412_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...42780147_o.jpg

Raid3n 04-27-2014 09:32 AM

lol, are we going to revive the gear whore thread? lol

Gwilo 04-27-2014 10:22 AM

I have added to that list

Noir 04-27-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8460238)
Huh?

If someone asks for recommendations on places to shop you would give them a list including places where you have had previous issues with?

I know that if I have a bad experience with a retailer, I am not going to be including them in any lists to anyone. Well unless I hate that person.

Unless I missed something that 604Stig said and you edited out...

Think of this in terms of cars. You got to a shop to have some maintenance work done and you find out the shop overcharged you and didn't perform all of the work they said. Then just out of coincidence you come on the internet and someone is asking where to get the fluid change done on their car, would you then recommend that shop where you just had your car serviced? I certainly wouldn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayslive (Post 8462218)
thanks for the replies everyone :)
Around how much did you guys spend on your first set of gear?
Posted via RS Mobile

Just above $150 IIRC.

I bought a helmet (full face) and leather glove combo from Modern, just to get myself started.

Over a few months though, I slowly added gear little by little (bought riding shoes & jacket) and upgraded my lid over time.

Gh0stRider 04-27-2014 10:43 AM

for my first set of gear, i think around $400-$500.

Gwilo 04-27-2014 11:32 AM

Helmet should cost you $ 200 minimum closer to $ 400 the better.

If you are low on cash look at Scorpion helmets
Posted via RS Mobile

PiuYi 04-27-2014 12:11 PM

Jesus Gwilo is that all yours?!? your wallet must hate you haha

I spent around $1000... but like others said, don't be afraid to ask for discounts if you're buying multiple things from one store, I got a deal for boots/gloves/pants at Honda Centre in bby

also take in to consideration what you're using the gear for (track/cruises/short commutes) last thing you want is to buy all textile then realize you want to do nothing but track or vice versa

320icar 04-27-2014 03:48 PM

What do you guys use for riding pants? Regular jeans, "riding" denim, or full on leather assless chaps :p

Curious because I'm not totally sure what to look for in riding pants. I guess knee pads and hip padding is the most important?
Posted via RS Mobile

Recon604 04-27-2014 07:45 PM

^ +1 curious about this too. Ill prob invest into some kelvar jeans down the road