REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #26
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Don't test drive their cars?

So should one just walk in, buy the car with cash and decide later the car isn't for them?
Nope. Most people should test drive cars. its like trying on a shoe or a jacket.

On specialty cars, Do the deal, numbers first, get approved (if finance or lease) then make deal subject to test drive.

at the end of the day, test drive is part of the sales process (unless if its a specialty product like a GT3RS etc.) and I usually tell a customer to take a car for drive even before we sit down and talk numbers. we never know, maybe they will hate driving the car.
Advertisement

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
imagine you were going to lend some random person your $40,000 car on your plate and say to them, come back when you are done.. you are telling me you wouldnt want a copy of their drivers licence?
It's not a personal vehicle though, and it is insured. If somebody is worried though you could either ask them for the copy when you return so you can shred it.

Or if you're really worried go to ICBC beforehand, tell them you moved and need a sticker for your license, pick a random address and when you're done peel the sticker off.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #28
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Whatevs.

I bought a Corolla S anyway.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #29
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's not a personal vehicle though, and it is insured. If somebody is worried though you could either ask them for the copy when you return so you can shred it.

Or if you're really worried go to ICBC beforehand, tell them you moved and need a sticker for your license, pick a random address and when you're done peel the sticker off.
have u dealt with icbc before? no one wants a car they own (even if a dealership) stolen or crashed. beleive it or not dealerships have premiums too, the cost of their D plates goes up significantly if they have to make claims . its time consuming and taking a loss in value due to damage is something icbc dosnt always account for.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #30
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
On specialty cars, Do the deal, numbers first, get approved (if finance or lease) then make deal subject to test drive.
So after working out the numbers and get to the test drive part, you dont like it.. wouldnt that be wasting time for both parties working out the numbers when the sales guy could have had a potential buyer.. not to mention the credit score when you do this often?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
So after working out the numbers and get to the test drive part, you dont like it.. wouldnt that be wasting time for both parties working out the numbers when the sales guy could have had a potential buyer.. not to mention the credit score when you do this often?
on premium cars they dont like people running up km/s and seat time for people who are unsure if they can afford it. you would be surprised the expectation in payments when people come into a dealership. so in some cases figuring out numbers first is better.

could u wanna buy a $100k viper and know 30 people have fcked around in it just cuz they were curious about it?

we get people in all the time that just wanna test drive cuz they are bored or just curious
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
on premium cars they dont like people running up km/s and seat time for people who are unsure if they can afford it. you would be surprised the expectation in payments when people come into a dealership. so in some cases figuring out numbers first is better.

could u wanna buy a $100k viper and know 30 people have fcked around in it just cuz they were curious about it?

we get people in all the time that just wanna test drive cuz they are bored or just curious
which dealership do you work at ?
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I always take a photocopy and grab a cell number if a client is taking a vehicle out on an unsupervised test drive. It just seems stupid to not do that. When the client doesn't return with the vehicle what are we supposed to do? Oh well, hope he comes back soon? Hope for the best? LOL! I don't want my Garage Policy increasing due to me not checking to see if that potential client is even permitted to operate a motor vehicle. Not to mention the aggressive depreciation that a vehicle takes if it is crashed. There is risk every time a client steps into a vehicle for a test drive so it would seem only prudent that a dealer would at least make an effort to protect itself.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
I don't want my Garage Policy increasing due to me not checking to see if that potential client is even permitted to operate a motor vehicle.
Why do you need a copy of the license for that? Can't you just ask to see their license?

Quote:
have u dealt with icbc before? no one wants a car they own (even if a dealership) stolen or crashed. beleive it or not dealerships have premiums too, the cost of their D plates goes up significantly if they have to make claims . its time consuming and taking a loss in value due to damage is something icbc dosnt always account for.
Fair enough, but they're a car dealership, they sell cars. In order to sell cars you'll have to let people test drive them and with that comes some risk. Unless cars being damaged on test drives is common then that seems like a fairly small risk and a part of doing business.

And realistically if somebody is going to try and steal a brand new car worth tens of thousands of dollars they'd pay a couple bucks for a fake ID anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Why do you need a copy of the license for that? Can't you just ask to see their license?

Fair enough, but they're a car dealership, they sell cars. In order to sell cars you'll have to let people test drive them and with that comes some risk. Unless cars being damaged on test drives is common then that seems like a fairly small risk and a part of doing business.

And realistically if somebody is going to try and steal a brand new car worth tens of thousands of dollars they'd pay a couple bucks for a fake ID anyways.
and if something goes wrong and the customer dosnt want to be held accountable? is the sales person supposed to memorize all the information?

you would be surprised. if dealerships didnt require a copy of ID i bet cars would go missing far more often.and exactly. they are a dealership. if you WANT to test drive, you must be willing to provide ID.. just like if you WANT to work somewhere you provide references or if you want to buy liquor you most provide ID if there is any doubt of age.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #36

Unless there is evidence that dealerships that don't photocopy licenses have higher accident/theft rates then I have a hard time believing it makes a difference. Clearly many dealerships get by just fine without copying licenses.

As far as buying liquor that's a legal requirement, for getting a job that's the opposite situation of a car purchase.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,184 Posts
Quote:
If you give ICBC a new address, they will change it on their system. The address at which your car is parked when not in use affects your premium. And if you tell ICBC your car got stolen from your real address, prepare to explain yourself why the addresses don't match up...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Unless there is evidence that dealerships that don't photocopy licenses have higher accident/theft rates then I have a hard time believing it makes a difference. Clearly many dealerships get by just fine without copying licenses.

As far as buying liquor that's a legal requirement, for getting a job that's the opposite situation of a car purchase.
what do you mean.. EVERY DEALERSHIP DOES THIS.

ive worked for 2 different auto groups combined owning over 10 dealerships.

every single sales person does this.

imagine i crashed into your car without a licence plate on mine and drove away.. you would be pretty fcked cuz when you call ICBC they wont have any way to charge me.

now imagine instead of licence plate.. thats a drivers licence. i could go test drive a car.. crash then drop it off at the dealership and walk away with no repercussion cuz they dont know who i am.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #39

I've never had mine copied, I've only had it looked at, granted it has been a while since I test drove anything. Just because the companies you've worked for do it doesn't mean everyone does.

And just how often are people smashing up dealer cars on test drives? This sounds like more of a "what if" then a real risk. Yeah you could do that, but does it actually happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If you give ICBC a new address, they will change it on their system. The address at which your car is parked when not in use affects your premium. And if you tell ICBC your car got stolen from your real address, prepare to explain yourself why the addresses don't match up...
This is true, but when I moved all they did was print me a sticker. The affect on your premium comes in when you actually go get insurance, technically I believe you're supposed to go update that with your insurance agent as well because my premiums didn't automatically change when I moved and got the sticker.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
^ when i was searching for a truck to buy, i went to several different ford lots. not once was my DL scanned/photocopied or even looked at. they just flat out handed me the keys to the truck and took a ride along with me so they could point out every feature during the drive.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #41
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I really don't see the big deal of offering up some info to test drive a car.
It's like you guys all have something to hide.

Are you worried you might have fans or the paparazzi that will stalk you at your home or something?

underscore, you seem like a good guy, which is why I think you're unable to view this from the other perspective.
YOU wouldn't do anything wrong with the cars, but you wouldn't believe how many people that aren't you,
test drive these cars and are potentially a big risk by stepping into those cars.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 04-24-2014 at 11:30 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
^ when i was searching for a truck to buy, i went to several different ford lots. not once was my DL scanned/photocopied or even looked at. they just flat out handed me the keys to the truck and took a ride along with me so they could point out every feature during the drive.
thats called a ride along. but there have been cases where someone goes on a ride along and the driver kicks the sales person out and takes off with the car.

it happens. people are shitty so steps are taken to prevent that.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #43
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I really don't see the big deal of offering up some info to test drive a car.
It's like you guys all have something to hide.

Are you worried you might have fans or the paparazzi that will stalk you at your home or something?
Why don't you post your name, address, SIN, and credit card numbers for us?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Why don't you post your name, address, SIN, and credit card numbers for us?
ugh. you realize they dont take your sin or credit card

but you know when you go rent a car or use a hotel room they take ur drivers licence, take all that info and a credit card info..

guess no one should rent cars or use hotels.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #45
RS Veteran

He's got nothing to hide, so why does it matter?

This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #46

i dont think you get it. when you do alot of things people handle your ID.. in this case i wouldnt post where i live or work because this forum is exposed to thousands of people. many of those who could be interested in my car.

but if i needed a hotel, or to buy a car i would have 0 issue with my ID getting a shitty scan so i could continue with my purchase. hell if you are that curious PM me and ill give you my address.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #47
2-Wheelin' Mod

I have zero issues with dealerships copying licenses as they are in essence putting somebody behind the wheel of their $30,000-$100,000 car. Wouldn't you do it if somebody was taking your $30,000-$100,000 car out onto public roads and you have no previous history with this individual at all? Customers can refuse and test drive a car at a different dealership.

They may be using CRM software coupled with a scanner but the data captured from the card would only enable them to create a profile ... any useful information (email, phone number) would have to be captured,input and attached to the new profile seperetely. CRM is just a way of life in the sales industry.

A bike shop that I used to use insisted on photocopying my license when I had my bike in for servicing... this always made me uncomfortable as I was basically handing over my asset (motorbike) to be serviced by them. Why would they need my personal address? After the second time I felt uncomfortable enough with their requirement that I chose NOT to ever give them my business again.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #48
RS Veteran

Quote:
i dont think you get it.
I think you're right.

I don't get it. Just like Timpo.

Now I have to question all the decisions I've made in my life.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #49

Quote:
I think you're right.

I don't get it. Just like Timpo.

Now I have to question all the decisions I've made in my life.
admitting is the first step

This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #50
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
He's got nothing to hide, so why does it matter?
You post your credit card and SIN then.

That was a pretty retarded post
Posted via RS Mobile
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: