REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Need some help here about getting a VI for lowered car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694769-need-some-help-here-about-getting-vi-lowered-car.html)

E-SPEC 04-27-2014 12:59 PM

Need some help here about getting a VI for lowered car

Hi i got pulled over and the cop decided to give me a vehicle inspection because i was lowered. In the ticket he checked off the "wheels" "tires" and "suspension" on the bottom.. I have a TL lowered w/ Ground control coil's and Koni Yellow shocks. W/ 18x9.5 wheels 225-40-18. Is any of this illegal?? thanks. Btw i'm not even slammed either, i told him that also, But still went on deaf ears. He also told me that i have 30 days to do so, and if i'm caught driving the car after that its impounded w/ a $600 fee! What i'm scared about is if my susp is deemed illegal for some reason, will i have to put back my stock ? I don't even have it anymore i think. I also should state that i have no camber kit either. So i have no stupid camber or anything like some.

GabAlmighty 04-27-2014 01:45 PM

Raise your car up to 4x4 height, get it inspected and keep on truckin

E-SPEC 04-27-2014 03:55 PM

Thats what i'm thinking. What does it cost for VI? Anyone know? I can't find outy anything today being Sunday. Thanks

GabAlmighty 04-27-2014 04:02 PM

Couple hundo probably, it's just an inspection.

Fafine 04-27-2014 05:04 PM

got pics on how low you are? just curious

mb_ 04-27-2014 05:11 PM

Pics of your car and other modifications? Along with raising your car, won't hurt to throw your stock wheels back on (unless the tires are bald lol). Not too familiar with TLs but how your wheels/tires poke/rub/stretch/etc, you may fail.

320icar 04-27-2014 05:37 PM

I've had so many dealings with police officers. Some guys "get it" while others throw the book at you. If you want to speak technically, nearly every single non-oem part on your car is illegal. Almost all parts we by are not DOT inspected and clearly mark on the box "for off road use only" or equivalent. That being said we all know that's just bureaucracy at work. If you feel you were treated unfairly and your car does not deserve a VI, go to your local detatchment and speak to the officers supervisor. If not, just take it in to a shop, have a vehicle inspection done for like $250 and pass with flying colours
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 04-27-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8462491)
I've had so many dealings with police officers. Some guys "get it" while others throw the book at you. If you want to speak technically, nearly every single non-oem part on your car is illegal. Almost all parts we by are not DOT inspected and clearly mark on the box "for off road use only" or equivalent. That being said we all know that's just bureaucracy at work. If you feel you were treated unfairly and your car does not deserve a VI, go to your local detatchment and speak to the officers supervisor. If not, just take it in to a shop, have a vehicle inspection done for like $250 and pass with flying colours
Posted via RS Mobile

When you install after market parts, you are taking a chance at it not complying with regulations. It is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle to know what complies and what does not. Let's be honest, most owners know their car isn't "legal", and just take the risk.

OP, if you are 100% sure your suspension complies with regulations, you should talk to the officer's supervisor showing this, and maybe have the VI cancelled so you save yourself the inspection fee. But if you aren't sure, and the only way to find out is by getting it inspected, you're hooped. There was already a thread on this, and for a VI to be issued, all the officer needs is grounds to believe the car may not comply with regulations.

Regarding the 30 days. Some people, and some officers have a misconception that the owner is untouchable within the 30 days. Technically you can still be fined if you are caught within the 30 days. The VI gives you 30 days to fix the issue and if it isn't done, you can be issued a Fail to comply with Order which is $596. It doesn't stop another officer from issuing you another ticket within that time frame. For example, if you get a VT for no front licence plate, and later that day get another one, it is fair game.

Pics of your car would be nice. Cars that are subtly lowered, will not catch the eye of officers. What is ridiculous are stretched tires.... but that's for another time and day.

mb_ 04-27-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8462547)
When you install after market parts, you are taking a chance at it not complying with regulations. It is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle to know what complies and what does not. Let's be honest, most owners know their car isn't "legal", and just take the risk.

OP, if you are 100% sure your suspension complies with regulations, you should talk to the officer's supervisor showing this, and maybe have the VI cancelled so you save yourself the inspection fee. But if you aren't sure, and the only way to find out is by getting it inspected, you're hooped. There was already a thread on this, and for a VI to be issued, all the officer needs is grounds to believe the car may not comply with regulations.

Regarding the 30 days. Some people, and some officers have a misconception that the owner is untouchable within the 30 days. Technically you can still be fined if you are caught within the 30 days. The VI gives you 30 days to fix the issue and if it isn't done, you can be issued a Fail to comply with Order which is $596. It doesn't stop another officer from issuing you another ticket within that time frame. For example, if you get a VT for no front licence plate, and later that day get another one, it is fair game.

Pics of your car would be nice. Cars that are subtly lowered, will not catch the eye of officers. What is ridiculous are stretched tires.... but that's for another time and day.

This. Happened to me earlier this year and had my VI successfully canceled after a month of back and forth emails.

E-SPEC 04-27-2014 09:42 PM

Here it is. the front tint i took off already. i tried to tell him the front bumper is within legal distance from the ground. He said "that might be what you think".

meme405 04-27-2014 09:48 PM

The only thing I have to add here is that the colour on your car is fucking dope.

Good luck with the VI...

Spidey 04-27-2014 09:53 PM

your car would have been a dime a dozen in Richmond :). I wouldn't have blinked an eye.

underscore 04-27-2014 11:11 PM

Wow, I was expecting something a lot more extreme looking. Looks like you're good to go as far as body clearance (lowest part of bodywork cannot be below the lowest part of the wheel) and you're wheels/tires look like the aren't poking out past the body so assuming your headlights are high enough off the ground I'd say your car looks fine. 225's on a 9.5 might be a bit stretched tho.

!Aznboi128 04-27-2014 11:24 PM

well if you cant get it done, and you want to sell your car LET ME KNOW!

*I'm serious*

but like said above shouldn't be a problem doesn't look too bad

Fafine 04-27-2014 11:58 PM

That's clean
Posted via RS Mobile

rriggi 04-28-2014 01:47 AM

TBH, I don't see whats wrong about this setup, hard to tell through a photo. A good way of judging ride height is this, if the car has no tires on it and is sitting on rims, would anything touch the ground? Yes its a fail, no its a pass etc etc..

Go speak to the supervisor and ask for a review, if they refuse you have no choice. Get an inspection, pass, and keep both VI and inspection form in the car for the next time.

320icar 04-28-2014 02:46 AM

^^ keep the paper but remove the window sticker that says its been in a provincial inspection!!! My old miata was brought up from the states years ago bone stock. I bought it from that owner and did all the mods. Every cop assumed its already been locally VI'd because if the window decal and immedietly started going over the car with a fine tooth comb.

Even though my old miata was like rolling probable cause, i never got a ticket. Though i was pulled over an average if once a fortnight.
Posted via RS Mobile