REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: work
Posts: 1,408
Thanked 929 Times in 329 Posts
Need some help here about getting a VI for lowered car

Hi i got pulled over and the cop decided to give me a vehicle inspection because i was lowered. In the ticket he checked off the "wheels" "tires" and "suspension" on the bottom.. I have a TL lowered w/ Ground control coil's and Koni Yellow shocks. W/ 18x9.5 wheels 225-40-18. Is any of this illegal?? thanks. Btw i'm not even slammed either, i told him that also, But still went on deaf ears. He also told me that i have 30 days to do so, and if i'm caught driving the car after that its impounded w/ a $600 fee! What i'm scared about is if my susp is deemed illegal for some reason, will i have to put back my stock ? I don't even have it anymore i think. I also should state that i have no camber kit either. So i have no stupid camber or anything like some.
Advertisement

Last edited by E-SPEC; 04-27-2014 at 02:08 PM.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
GabAlmighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yellowknife NWT
Posts: 4,877
Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,054 Posts
Raise your car up to 4x4 height, get it inspected and keep on truckin
__________________
'16 Ram 1500
'85 Corolla
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: work
Posts: 1,408
Thanked 929 Times in 329 Posts
Thats what i'm thinking. What does it cost for VI? Anyone know? I can't find outy anything today being Sunday. Thanks
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
GabAlmighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yellowknife NWT
Posts: 4,877
Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,054 Posts
Couple hundo probably, it's just an inspection.
__________________
'16 Ram 1500
'85 Corolla
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Fafine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,245
Thanked 1,254 Times in 394 Posts
got pics on how low you are? just curious
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB
 
mb_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 6,861
Thanked 5,993 Times in 1,590 Posts
Pics of your car and other modifications? Along with raising your car, won't hurt to throw your stock wheels back on (unless the tires are bald lol). Not too familiar with TLs but how your wheels/tires poke/rub/stretch/etc, you may fail.
__________________
FEEDBACK (9-0-0)
SPOTTED
:: FLICKR :: JOURNAL :: INSTAGRAM

2015 Scion FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,990
Thanked 7,936 Times in 2,061 Posts
I've had so many dealings with police officers. Some guys "get it" while others throw the book at you. If you want to speak technically, nearly every single non-oem part on your car is illegal. Almost all parts we by are not DOT inspected and clearly mark on the box "for off road use only" or equivalent. That being said we all know that's just bureaucracy at work. If you feel you were treated unfairly and your car does not deserve a VI, go to your local detatchment and speak to the officers supervisor. If not, just take it in to a shop, have a vehicle inspection done for like $250 and pass with flying colours
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I've had so many dealings with police officers. Some guys "get it" while others throw the book at you. If you want to speak technically, nearly every single non-oem part on your car is illegal. Almost all parts we by are not DOT inspected and clearly mark on the box "for off road use only" or equivalent. That being said we all know that's just bureaucracy at work. If you feel you were treated unfairly and your car does not deserve a VI, go to your local detatchment and speak to the officers supervisor. If not, just take it in to a shop, have a vehicle inspection done for like $250 and pass with flying colours
Posted via RS Mobile
When you install after market parts, you are taking a chance at it not complying with regulations. It is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle to know what complies and what does not. Let's be honest, most owners know their car isn't "legal", and just take the risk.

OP, if you are 100% sure your suspension complies with regulations, you should talk to the officer's supervisor showing this, and maybe have the VI cancelled so you save yourself the inspection fee. But if you aren't sure, and the only way to find out is by getting it inspected, you're hooped. There was already a thread on this, and for a VI to be issued, all the officer needs is grounds to believe the car may not comply with regulations.

Regarding the 30 days. Some people, and some officers have a misconception that the owner is untouchable within the 30 days. Technically you can still be fined if you are caught within the 30 days. The VI gives you 30 days to fix the issue and if it isn't done, you can be issued a Fail to comply with Order which is $596. It doesn't stop another officer from issuing you another ticket within that time frame. For example, if you get a VT for no front licence plate, and later that day get another one, it is fair game.

Pics of your car would be nice. Cars that are subtly lowered, will not catch the eye of officers. What is ridiculous are stretched tires.... but that's for another time and day.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB
 
mb_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 6,861
Thanked 5,993 Times in 1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
When you install after market parts, you are taking a chance at it not complying with regulations. It is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle to know what complies and what does not. Let's be honest, most owners know their car isn't "legal", and just take the risk.

OP, if you are 100% sure your suspension complies with regulations, you should talk to the officer's supervisor showing this, and maybe have the VI cancelled so you save yourself the inspection fee. But if you aren't sure, and the only way to find out is by getting it inspected, you're hooped. There was already a thread on this, and for a VI to be issued, all the officer needs is grounds to believe the car may not comply with regulations.

Regarding the 30 days. Some people, and some officers have a misconception that the owner is untouchable within the 30 days. Technically you can still be fined if you are caught within the 30 days. The VI gives you 30 days to fix the issue and if it isn't done, you can be issued a Fail to comply with Order which is $596. It doesn't stop another officer from issuing you another ticket within that time frame. For example, if you get a VT for no front licence plate, and later that day get another one, it is fair game.

Pics of your car would be nice. Cars that are subtly lowered, will not catch the eye of officers. What is ridiculous are stretched tires.... but that's for another time and day.
This. Happened to me earlier this year and had my VI successfully canceled after a month of back and forth emails.
__________________
FEEDBACK (9-0-0)
SPOTTED
:: FLICKR :: JOURNAL :: INSTAGRAM

2015 Scion FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: work
Posts: 1,408
Thanked 929 Times in 329 Posts
Here it is. the front tint i took off already. i tried to tell him the front bumper is within legal distance from the ground. He said "that might be what you think".

Last edited by E-SPEC; 05-03-2014 at 09:59 AM.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,177 Posts
The only thing I have to add here is that the colour on your car is fucking dope.

Good luck with the VI...
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #12
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
your car would have been a dime a dozen in Richmond . I wouldn't have blinked an eye.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,975
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,172 Posts
Wow, I was expecting something a lot more extreme looking. Looks like you're good to go as far as body clearance (lowest part of bodywork cannot be below the lowest part of the wheel) and you're wheels/tires look like the aren't poking out past the body so assuming your headlights are high enough off the ground I'd say your car looks fine. 225's on a 9.5 might be a bit stretched tho.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #14
Media Officer / MOD
 
!Aznboi128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 26,492
Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,173 Posts
well if you cant get it done, and you want to sell your car LET ME KNOW!

*I'm serious*

but like said above shouldn't be a problem doesn't look too bad
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Fafine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,245
Thanked 1,254 Times in 394 Posts
That's clean
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 02:47 AM   #16
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
rriggi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Santos, USA
Posts: 372
Thanked 505 Times in 135 Posts
TBH, I don't see whats wrong about this setup, hard to tell through a photo. A good way of judging ride height is this, if the car has no tires on it and is sitting on rims, would anything touch the ground? Yes its a fail, no its a pass etc etc..

Go speak to the supervisor and ask for a review, if they refuse you have no choice. Get an inspection, pass, and keep both VI and inspection form in the car for the next time.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,990
Thanked 7,936 Times in 2,061 Posts
^^ keep the paper but remove the window sticker that says its been in a provincial inspection!!! My old miata was brought up from the states years ago bone stock. I bought it from that owner and did all the mods. Every cop assumed its already been locally VI'd because if the window decal and immedietly started going over the car with a fine tooth comb.

Even though my old miata was like rolling probable cause, i never got a ticket. Though i was pulled over an average if once a fortnight.
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net