REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

University Prestige, does it matter(for accounting)

This thread is a sort of debate. I want to know if a university's prestige and reputation matter to employers. Does prestige help you get a better job in accounting? This is for everyone to have an open discussion about this topic. I will be attending a "lesser" university for next year for accounting which is another reason I created the thread. Also, feel free to post about professions other than accounting, but I would like to get some info about the value of prestige in accounting.
Advertisement
mr.wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I don't think university prestige will get you a better job in accounting, since everyone coming out will be doing the same grunt work regardless. Where it is going to make a difference is your exposure to potential employers. Typically bigger firms will focus their recruiting resources on bigger universities like Sfu and ubc, with minimal events for other places like langara, cap or kwantlen. If you're inspired to work for the big 4 tho, then I say your chances are remote at best at being hired since over 90% of their hirings every year will likely to be from ubc Sfu and the odd ones from bcit
Posted via RS Mobile
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
It'll matter when you try to get into your first public practice accounting job so you can get your CPA with audit hours.

After you get your CPA , no one gives. At that point it becomes, how much experience do you have and how well does your public practice experience transfer to industry.

If you stay in public practice after designation, it's about how much you know (ie do you have Indepth, do you have SOX experience, are you an IFRS guru). At that point no one will care you got your BBA from a "lesser" school, in fact it'll put you a step ahead. Guy went to "lesser" school but is now partner or CFO material.

Side note: If you think Big 4 is the be all and end all, speak to someone that is off the record. Also remember the folk at those recruiting events are there to kiss ass to their managers and couldn't give a shit about you.

source: experience

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #4

^I agree. As your progress on in your career, it's more about who you know as well. But during initial hiring and starting out, a degree from a better university will make job hunting easier.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Here in Canada: Not so much.

In the US - you better bet it's important.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 12:27 AM   #6
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
PwC only hires good looking people, so if you're ugly too bad.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
Looks are definitely a factor at PwC. Not sure how much for guys but for girls they are up there. It makes sense, Big 4 firm gotta send out the hottest looking representatives to clients.. shallow.. but it is what it is.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Someone say Prestige?

Spoiler!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wonderful View Post
This thread is a sort of debate. I want to know if a university's prestige and reputation matter to employers. Does prestige help you get a better job in accounting? This is for everyone to have an open discussion about this topic. I will be attending a "lesser" university for next year for accounting which is another reason I created the thread. Also, feel free to post about professions other than accounting, but I would like to get some info about the value of prestige in accounting.
I would say it depends on whether you are going to get an accounting designation or not. If not, then absolutely it is relevant, but if you are going to get a designation, then the designation is more important and since it is standardized, there is no difference.

IE I started the CMA program after my undergrad in business from Sauder, but at the end of the day, I could have had an undergrad in arts from UNBC and I would be equally eligible to take the CMA, and after completing the CMA, the value is definitely on having the CMA, not on what you did before it.

Mark
Old 04-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

Not sure I agree about the USA bit... though I suppose it depends on your intended specialty and where you want to end up.

My dad attended a community college in Queens, NY for accounting, yet he still managed to snag a fairly prestigious position after getting his degree. Mind you, that was... what, 40 years ago? I'm sure things have changed since then, but I'm sure it hasn't change that much since.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #11

Well from my experience at recruiting events where they send a lot of staff accountants out, a majority of them are either from UBC or SFU, and a bit from BCIT. I've only ran into maybe 3 in total that graduated from Langara/Kwantlen/Cap etc.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I did not get my degree from UBC/SFU. I personally don't feel it matters; however, there's way too many variables that seem to affect the decision of getting hired. A lot of people believe they should finish school before focusing on work or even finding work. Well, no experience means no job these days mostly.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
I worked at PwC.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

Why do you think it's important in the US? Source?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Sorry to thread jack but instead of accounting, what about for investment banking or even corporate banking for that matter? Love to hear ULIC's thought on this one, he seems knowledgeable in banking.

Does it give you an advantage coming out of a prestige school(UBC/SFU) than say Cap or BCIT for investment banking or even corporate banking?

To answer the OP's question, I'd say no it doesn't matter as much for Accounting.
AboveAndBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post
Why do you think it's important in the US? Source?
There are many articles and research done on the topic, along with academically researched papers on the subject. A simple Google search will yield results.

Another source: Personal experience.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i would say it would give you too much of an advantage since they are dime a dozen, but it will definitly help with your resume!
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
in certain health care streams i feel it can help in the hiring process because it may reflect the quality of your training
but to most patients they usually only care about 3 things; how long is it gonna take? how much is it gonna cost? is it gonna hurt?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
in certain health care streams i feel it can help in the hiring process because it may reflect the quality of your training
but to most patients they usually only care about 3 things; how long is it gonna take? how much is it gonna cost? is it gonna hurt?
dafaq? what does that have to do with OP's accounting question
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #20
RS Veteran

The same can apply to accounting.

I'm going to make this example up (for the sake of discussion.)

You are at a Big 4 recruiting event. PWC and KPMG have recruiters and managers from UBC. EY and Deloitte from SFU.

You have students from UBC, SFU, BCIT, Capilano, Kwantlen, and let's throw in VCC. Management from PWC and KPMG already know what kids from UBC have done, and are potentially capable of while EY and Deloitte know their talent pool from SFU.

These students are already at an advantage. Not only is there some form of favourtism or cronyism already happening, there could be internal and personal recommendations from professors and associates who attended the same schools.

This leaves the students from the other colleges at a disadvantage. Will these students be considered? Maybe. But they better have something more to offer than the candidate pool.

Accounting, engineering, heath care - it doesn't matter. In the end, it's about who you know and what you know.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #21
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveAndBeyond View Post
Sorry to thread jack but instead of accounting, what about for investment banking or even corporate banking for that matter? Love to hear ULIC's thought on this one, he seems knowledgeable in banking.
Traders and bankers are totally different things. I'm a trader.

You'll prob wanna ask someone experienced with a CFA about banking.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #22
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

For Ibanking it's mostly connection based along with a degree from a highly reputable uni. In HK, even UBC is barely mentioned. SFU is like a low tier community college and anything bellow that, your resume won't even get a second glance.

Also if you come from a rich family, it helps a lot.

It's not fair, it's sad, but it's the truth whether you like it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 AM   #23
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Traders and bankers are totally different things. I'm a trader.

You'll prob wanna ask someone experienced with a CFA about banking.
It's actually interesting, I am finishing my CMA and writing CFA level 1 a week apart and the material is so different. The CFA exam is a bunch of studying but frankly if you are of average intelligence and put in a lot of studying, I don't see how you can't pass this. No one concept is hard, you just have a lot to remember. I was talking with a member of the CFA institute and asked why the pass rates are so much lower than they used to be and he said it was simply because they are getting more and more marginal candidates trying out for it. Remember, that field is ULTRA competitive to get a job - passing the CFA is absolutely not enough to set you apart and if you don't have the juice (networking, a well rounded resume, and great interview skills) you are wasting your time as even if you pass the exams, you won't get a job in the field.

This is not true in the accounting world where there are enough people competing for jobs without a designation that having the designation gives you a significant leg up.

Mark
Posted via RS Mobile
lowside67 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #24
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
It's actually interesting, I am finishing my CMA and writing CFA level 1 a week apart and the material is so different. The CFA exam is a bunch of studying but frankly if you are of average intelligence and put in a lot of studying, I don't see how you can't pass this. No one concept is hard, you just have a lot to remember. I was talking with a member of the CFA institute and asked why the pass rates are so much lower than they used to be and he said it was simply because they are getting more and more marginal candidates trying out for it. Remember, that field is ULTRA competitive to get a job - passing the CFA is absolutely not enough to set you apart and if you don't have the juice (networking, a well rounded resume, and great interview skills) you are wasting your time as even if you pass the exams, you won't get a job in the field.

This is not true in the accounting world where there are enough people competing for jobs without a designation that having the designation gives you a significant leg up.

Mark
Posted via RS Mobile
I highlighted some things you said I thought was rather interesting.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #25
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
dafaq? what does that have to do with OP's accounting question
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wonderful View Post
Also, feel free to post about professions other than accounting
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote