REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Toyota TE-Spyder 800

Toyota MR2, Prius Combined In TE-Spyder Hybrid Concept
BY Antony Ingram

It's fair to say the Toyota Prius isn't the most exciting of vehicles. In fact, it's pretty much the antithesis of everything gearheads like about cars. It is a method of transport, and little more. Toyota's old MR2 roadster is pretty much the opposite. It's peppy, has its engine and driven wheels in the right place, the roof comes down, and it's a riot to drive. Aside from a 1.8-liter capacity and a Toyota badge, the two share very little.

In the Toyota Engineering Society TE-Spyder 800 revealed at the recent 2014 Tokyo Auto Salon, the two cars come together in quite an enticing package--one that could appeal to gearheads and hypermiling eco-drivers alike.

Based on the third generation of Toyota's 'Midship Runabout' series, the TE-Spyder ditches the MR2's typical 1.8-liter 1ZZ four-cylinder and replaces it for a 116-horsepower 1.5-liter 1NZ-FE unit. This isn't actually the engine you'll find in a Prius (nor is it the 1.5-liter unit from the Prius C subcompact) but it does use the 102-horsepower electric motor from the current Prius. The two are matched up to Toyota's electronic-Continuously Variable Transmission, which is actually a planetary gearbox capable of mixing and matching drive from the engine and electric motor.

An e-CVT doesn't immediately scream "sports car", but in a car weighing under 2,200 lbs the combination is still enough to deliver reasonable performance--at 5.8 seconds to 62 mph, it's actually quicker than the MR2 on which it's based. It certainly doesn't look anything like the MR2--in reality, it's probably closer to the recent Honda S660 concept--but it does look a whole lot more modern with its targa-style profile and slim-line headlights. Inside, the Prius similarities are more clear, with the sweeping center console of the current Prius. The wheel and seats are aftermarket items, and data is relayed to the driver via a TFT screen in front of the steering wheel.

There's no word on fuel economy, nor range, but the TE-Spyder does have another ace up its sleeve--the ability to plug it in for an extra dose of all-electric range. Given the low weight of the car, we're guessing there aren't too many batteries hidden away in that compact body, but it has to be one of the greener sports cars around.

Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
if you don't tell me it is a Toyota, I thought it is one of those Chinese concept cars, haven't seen giant e-brake for many years.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Now time to make a production model. Damn son Toyota going hard!
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
I'm not sure what to think of this, since it has Recaro seats, a Momo wheel (this sounds dumb but no airbag in a brand new car?), a rectangular LCD for guages, no heater vents, and it doesn't seem to say Toyota anywhere are we sure this is a legit Toyota concept? I mean the seats look like they come higher than the roofline.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

That interior looks like it was put together with spit, toilet paper and parts from Hyundai's early '90s recycling bin.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Supposedly this was made by Toyota engineers when they were bored. A lot of the interior parts look cannibalized from the MR-S and spares from cars in the late 90's/early 2000's, so I'm not surprised that the interior is super dated.
Posted via RS Mobile
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

No
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
The front looks like a fatter version of the new nsx
Posted via RS Mobile
kkthind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts

more like a ugly baby r8
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

yuk
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
Do not want
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Supposedly this was made by Toyota engineers when they were bored. A lot of the interior parts look cannibalized from the MR-S and spares from cars in the late 90's/early 2000's, so I'm not surprised that the interior is super dated.
Posted via RS Mobile
Close.

The Toyota Engineering Society is basically open to any Toyota employee who has a desire to learn about technology. Among other things that get built, cars are often used as learning tools. So, yes, while the car was technically "made by Toyota," it's not an official concept. And that's why it's basically a spare parts car.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote