REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Embezzlement Investigation at UBC

so both medical and dental school at UBC have faculty/senior employees on the hook for fraud in the neighbourhood of $0.5-5M

makes you wonder if other professional programs like Business and Law are equally sketchy

Quote:
University of B.C. auditors have uncovered possible financial irregularities involving the management of a $3-million-a-year dentistry program, and the matter has now been referred to the RCMP.

Read more: Investigation of UBC dentistry program?s financials turned over to RCMP
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
not at all surprised

all businesses / govts have a level of fraud going on, if its small enough auditors ignore it and if its well done auditors wont even find it (not that thats their role)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
yeah did some more reading...apparently pretty common

Financial crime common in Canadian universities - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
Annual surveys of 20-plus university auditors reveal that their institutions quietly endure some level of financial crime year after year – five- and six-figure sums routinely go missing, much of it unrecoverable. Yet they are more reluctant than companies in other industries to install and enforce safeguards, even in a time of budget crunches, when spending is being watched especially closely.

Last month, police charged a University of Waterloo copy centre supervisor with fraud totalling $955,000 little more than a month after similar charges were brought against two York University employees accused of taking more than $1.2-million over nearly three years. Studies show most frauds at universities total between $10,000 and $50,000, but seven-figure thefts are hardly a rarity: A quarter of all Canada’s occupational frauds are worth at least $1-million.
even if it's over a few years where's the papertrail for 7-figures

Audit finds VCH/UBC research funds at high risk for fraud - News - Vancouver Courier

it's just so disheartening to see healthcare professionals abusing people's/taxpayers charity for research/projects of alzheimer's etc going into their own personal account
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I'm sure the high up Sauder guys make plenty of coin this way
Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

There is a flaw the humans share. The accumulation of wealth, blame society that values money above everything else.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
There is a flaw the humans share. The accumulation of wealth, blame society that values money above everything else.
If I hadn't seen your username, I would have sworn this was a Ulic post.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: