REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
When was the last time you saw a 747 driving through the streets of Houston?

Quote:
How do you go about moving one of the world's largest planes through city streets? It takes a thousand-foot convoy of self-propelled trailers, and a legion of police and utility crews to move light poles, power lines and traffic signals along the 8-mile route over the course of two nights.

When NASA decided Houston would not receive an actual Space Shuttle, they managed to infuriate the city that had helped build and support the agency for five decades. Space Shuttle Atlantis was kept in Florida at Kennedy Space Center. Discovery went to the Steven F. Udvar Hazy National Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, Virginia. Los Angeles got Space Shuttle Endeavour. That's the one that made us mad. It made sense to have one at the Smithsonian, and KSC, but LA was chosen purely for the tourist draw. It upset me too, as I grew up near NASA's Johnson Space Center. I went to school with Astronaut's kids, and several of my friends' parents were employed by NASA or their contractors. I drove past the Space Center almost daily, seeing the massive Saturn V rocket displayed among others outside. After I moved away, Space Center Houston brought the Saturn V indoors to a protected environment.

Boeing's Aircraft On Ground (AOG) Team worked for about six weeks at Houston's Ellington Field to carefully remove the 747-SCA's wings, tail and horizontal stabilizer. This mission was a first for the AOG team, as they had never purposefully dismantled an aircraft with the intent of reassembling it at a later date.

N905NA is a Boeing 747-100 that began her life with American Airlines in 1970. NASA acquired the plane in 1974 and was initially used by NASA Dryden (now called NASA Armstrong) for studies in wake vortex effects. Boeing modified the plane in 1976 to begin carrying the prototype Space Shuttle Enterprise. The Enterprise was released from the 747 mounts and then flown as a glider in tests in 1977. It was never launched into space, so I like to say NYC's "Space Shuttle" isn't really a Shuttle. Plus, it looks way out of place on top of the USS Intrepid Aircraft Carrier, but I digress.

Houston did receive a handsome consolation prize in lieu of not getting an authentic Space Shuttle. Once the plane is reassembled at Space Center Houston, the mock-up Shuttle Independence will be mounted on its back, creating a one of a kind, 8-story tall interactive exhibit at a cost of $12 million.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
I remember walking around the Saturn V they had on display at the Johnson Space Center, it was pretty fucking awesome. Incredible technology for 1960's, but at heart it's mostly a giant fuel tank.

Too bad they didn't get a real shuttle.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
never, but I have seen a Tundra pull a space shuttle through the streets of LA.....

2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: