REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Has the Whale Exploded, Yet?

Has the whale exploded yet? - Untitled

Quote:
Residents of two communities in western Newfoundland should know more sometime today about how and when the carcasses of two blue whales will be removed from their respective beaches, and sent to a museum.

On Wednesday, federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea said the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) was working on an agreement with a Canadian museum to take ownership of the remains of the beached whales from Rocky Harbour and Trout River. A sperm whale carcass also washed ashore in the Cape St. George area. .

The name of the museum wasn't released.

Blue whales are the largest animals in the world, and the affected towns have been begging for help to remove them before the bodies explode.

Residents are also concerned with the smell from the rotting carcasses. The giant mammals perished after getting caught in severe ice off the island's coast this winter.

The dead blue whale in Trout River has been expanding since it washed ashore several weeks ago.

The carcass is longer than two school buses.

Initially, town residents feared gases building inside the carcass would cause the whale to explode.

Jenny Parsons, who operates the Seaside Restaurant in Trout River, said now the town might not be so happy to see the whale leave.

"I think now people are beginning to realize that how often does a blue whale wash up on your beach? It's pretty awesome to have it there," said Parsons.

"Well, I'm very pleased they're stepping up and doing something about it. And I'm not surprised at all that museums would want this whale."

She said wherever the remains end up, it is unlikely it will be in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Parsons said she would like to see a blue whale pavilion in western Newfoundland.

The other blue whale carcass has been grounded in Rocky Harbour, located in Gros Morne National Park.

people watching Trout River blue whale carcass
People have been visiting Trout River to catch a sight of the blue whale carcass that washed ashore last month. (CBC)

Mayor Walter Nicolle said that for the first week or so, the whale was a real tourist attraction.

"But right now the whale is starting to smell a bit, so the local people are getting concerned about it," he told CBC News.

At first, Nicolle was told the 20-metre whale was the town's problem. So town officials proceeded to secure a permit to remove the carcass, though Nicolle admitted they are not sure just how to do that.

"I'm a little bit surprised they're going to take it away already."

​DFO expects to release more information on Thursday about what will be a major operation.

The loss of nine blue whales has attracted international and national scientific interest. Sample tissue of one whale has been taken to gather scientific data.

In 2010, the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa unveiled a blue whale skeleton.

The museum acquired the remains of the female whale in 1975 after it beached itself in Newfoundland.
Whale carcasses to be removed for Canadian museum to be named - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

'Popping' a whale carcass (tasty entrails alert)
Spoiler!

EDIT: Forgot to include the obligatory news clip when talking about exploding whales:
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

that would be a real intestin-ering job!

Always sad too see such beasts getting beached
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
RS controls my life!

Government is very slow to action. They should look at removing the blue whales and relocating them a place where polar bears live.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
Government is very slow to action. They should look at removing the blue whales and relocating them a place where polar bears live.
lolwut
Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

warning: kinda gross

Spoiler!

yum
Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I really wanna throw a harpoon at it from a distance and see what happens.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I really wanna throw a harpoon at it from a distance and see what happens.
you miss
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just call in Miley Cyrus!
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Sadly, the whale seems to be deflating. No whalesplotion
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote