REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Question about car lease if your business is "you"

Just a quick question out of curiosity. I know a portion of car lease payments can be written off as a business expense if you are self employed and using such vehicle for work purposes.

My question is what if you have/are a professional corporation and your business is essentially "you".

i.e. The car is not being used to drive clients around, or to deliver or pick up things, etc. The car is just used to get you to work, even though you may work in the same place everyday. But since you are the business, is transporting you to work considered a business expense then?

Do these write offs still work given these circumstances?

Thanks for any insight!
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,841 Times in 3,881 Posts
So. You're asking if you can write a vehicle off as a tax credit as a work vehicle, even though it does nothing more work related for you than anyone else's car on this forum?

Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #3

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I imagine explaining this to the CRA would be similar to when Jerry and George had to pitch a "show about nothing" to NBC.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,974 Times in 769 Posts
With the current trend, seems like there needs to be a tax evasion subforum in the financial forum
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Well technically if you own your own business, the business is its own entity, and if you work for your own business, you are an employee of that said business.
If your business leases you a car as a "work perk", I believe you can write off the lease payments from the business, and you personally will have to declare the use of the car as a taxable benefit.
I am by no means an expert at this, but this is what I've been told in the past by my accountant when asked him.
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Getting yourself just to work ie commuting doesn't count.

You also need to log your mileage and destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What_the? View Post
i.e. The car is not being used to drive clients around, or to deliver or pick up things, etc. The car is just used to get you to work, even though you may work in the same place everyday. But since you are the business, is transporting you to work considered a business expense then?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
what godwin said travel to - from work is considered personal/non-business
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,848 Times in 1,841 Posts
What_the?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

No.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Congratulations, you just gave a paper trail should you ever decide to write the car off as an expense and the CRA decides to audit.

Obviously forum members around here to say that is wrong and unethical, but whether people actually do it or not is a different story. Nobody here is going to say "Oh hey! I do this all the time! It's fine" on a website that keeps a record of what you post.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #11

Asking whether something is allowable or not to the CRA is not an criminal offense. The forum the question was asked is a bit strange (usually even a bookkeeper will know it is not kosher).

There are not big obvious writeoffs for cars. You want to write off a car? you have to put some leg work into it, be a real estate agent, get some clients, adorn the said cars as a rolling billboard, then you can write off a car. There is no free lunches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
Congratulations, you just gave a paper trail should you ever decide to write the car off as an expense and the CRA decides to audit.

Obviously forum members around here to say that is wrong and unethical, but whether people actually do it or not is a different story. Nobody here is going to say "Oh hey! I do this all the time! It's fine" on a website that keeps a record of what you post.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
So basically you use your car to commute to work, just like everyone else?

Writing it off would be tax evasion.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
OP - you can write off whatever you like. It's only an issue if you get audited by CRA and defending your position.

As an example, I plan to write off the Johsonville hot dogs I bought today for dinner as meals & entertainment in my "All Other Support Services" business in which I claim all my birthday money, gift money, CNY money (i'm not asian, sometimes I get CNY money from close family friends) as income. I claim 54cents per KM for driving myself to work and friends etc. Also the best part is, I get until June 15th to file my return. WIN WIN WIN

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #14

Thanked 5,411 Times in 861 Posts
Just write and sign yourself a T2200.

I take it you're a dentist/doctor/lawyer?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,539 Posts
Strong user ID

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Just write and sign yourself a T2200.

I take it you're a dentist/doctor/lawyer?
Any lawyer who took Tax in law school would know that what OP is describing is not allowed.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #17

Thanked 5,411 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Any lawyer who took Tax in law school would know that what OP is describing is not allowed.
I figured it was ridiculous enough that one would sense the strong sarcasm in my post.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #18

Yup, not a lawyer. Tis the folly of a background in healthcare, we never learn these things. Was just curious and coincidentally on Revscene so thought I would ask.

So a follow up question then, can a contractor write off vehicle expenses for work? Is this only for a vehicle that is actually physically doing something like delivering pizzas or chauffering clients, or is their usual truck they use to go to job sites or clients houses to do plumbing work etc considered an eligible expense?

Would this differ from a locum physician who is also like a contractor (not considered an employee of any company).

Is the main difference between a realtor writing off a car vs another contractor who cannot write off their vehicle that they are using it to physically drive people around?

Thanks in advance for any helpful insight since my background doesn't lie in accounting or tax. Responses from actual accountants would be even better, since the "OMG TAX EVASSSIONNNN" comments above don't really help clarify anything.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #19

Contractors, yes as long as they are going between job sites. There are limits on how much and you have to log mileage.

Locums no, since going to the hospital which is their workplace don't count.

Realtors, it depends, some post "advertisement" on the side of their cars so to get promotional write offs.

Different jobs have different scenarios, it is best to work with your accountant/ financial adviser.. if you are really paranoid, hire a tax lawyer, so they can indemnify you if you really want (and they let you) go overboard. I would say small business owners usually get audited once every 12-15 years, remember it is a huge pain in the ass.

If car lease write off is your main focus of benefits at work, you are in the wrong vocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What_the? View Post
Yup, not a lawyer. Tis the folly of a background in healthcare, we never learn these things. Was just curious and coincidentally on Revscene so thought I would ask.

So a follow up question then, can a contractor write off vehicle expenses for work? Is this only for a vehicle that is actually physically doing something like delivering pizzas or chauffering clients, or is their usual truck they use to go to job sites or clients houses to do plumbing work etc considered an eligible expense?

Would this differ from a locum physician who is also like a contractor (not considered an employee of any company).

Is the main difference between a realtor writing off a car vs another contractor who cannot write off their vehicle that they are using it to physically drive people around?

Thanks in advance for any helpful insight since my background doesn't lie in accounting or tax. Responses from actual accountants would be even better, since the "OMG TAX EVASSSIONNNN" comments above don't really help clarify anything.

Last edited by godwin; 05-07-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #20
RS controls my life!

you can not claim your commute to and from work as an expense no matter what company. you can only claim when the vehicle is being use for "work" like transporting goods, or people, or getting to a job site from your office.

example: i run a restaurant. i need some stuff from costco. i can't claim my drive fro home to costco but i can claim my trip from costco to work. and then i won't be able to claim the drive home.

depending on your job ie a building contractor. trucks fall into a grey area.

example: my dad is in the construction industry. he is able to expense 100% of the value of his truck over the course of it's life. 30% first year, 15% each year after. if he had purchased a car he would not be able to expense it the same way. also in order to expense a vehicle as stated the truck needs to be purchased and owned by the company not the operator.

in example a you are expensing the cost to operate the vehicle. like gas. you need to keep logs of distance traveled for work. in example b the asset itself is being expense through depreciation.

Last edited by jackal; 05-07-2014 at 06:07 AM.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #21
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

1)Is your car lease registered to your business?
2) Does your business earn sufficient business income to offset the payments to the lease?
3) You also have to keep a log of personal / business related travel.

All in all, it's a huge hassle to save a few $.