REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Maybe it's because I have been using a smartphone for well over a decade now, or just because I am old, but I never pay much attention to it when in social situations. Even when a lot of people around me are.. I just don't see the point. For me, all that social stuff is a supplement to normal life. Filler for down time, like when I first wake up, taking a dump, or on transit. I don't see much point in paying attention to it otherwise.

Also RS > Facebook

I don't know how bad it is in Canada, but it is REEEEEEEEALLY bad here. Entire groups of friends, each on their phone, completely ignoring each other. Couples dining out, each on their phone, ignoring each other. It just seems pointless to me

That being said, i have seen this video posted a million times now, but haven't watched it yet
The irony which I'm sure exists is that people are sharing the video via their smartphones

It's pretty bad here in Vancouver. Pretty much guaranteed to have at least one instance in any restaurant you go into. I know I've had to tell my fiancee a few times to put the phone away when she's talking to her mom/friends. Talking to her mom I give a bit of slack because that's the only way she can communicate with her outside of the house (she's hard of hearing). But when it's with a friend I give a pretty hard time.

Maybe she's going to break up with me soon because I'm not captivating enough
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #27
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

technology does not make us get smarter, it honestly makes us loose focus of what is true....technology makes people stupider, technology makes people not think on their own any longer, technology is making our youth slip away into the darkness of being a slave to the social media.

Kids these days do not play outside but play inside with pc systems and ps3/xboxs, etc....they have forgotten how to have fun with other kids exploring....

its a sad sad story but is all true, with technology increasing, our brains are fading!

That's my story
AeroK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #28
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
im all for devices in general, i mean its my job, i get home and have a 32" computer beside the couch, 50" tv infront, consoles, tablet on the other side of the couch and my phone beside me.. but thats when im by myself or in with the GF...

once out in public i think people need to learn to disconnect a little. when i go out my phone dosnt leave my pocket unless its for something important. whats the point of half socializing. and if my phone is out its to share stuff with friends im with (pics or videos)

i have an extremely low amount of patients for people who instagram their lives. check in regularly on facebook and tweet their fkcing lunch while out with their friends.

like seriously.. you post a picture of your salad on instagram. you do not need to check ever 30 fucking seconds to see who scrolled down without looking and liked it. fucking society. while walking through metro this weekend i purposely wouldnt move for people with their heads down texting. you would be surprised how many people are completely oblivious to their surroundings
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Social media has become a substitute for socializing, when it should just aid to real socializing. I like it do keep connected in my downtime, but ONLY during downtime. I work with someone who is CONSTANTLY on their phone, and their work ethic is absolute garbage because of it. One day, I'm going to throw it in a fucking stockpot.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
I STILL don't get it

This is the generation of instant gratification. Instagram, Instant Messaging, Status Updates....everything now now now.

I remember my ex girlfriend would get upset when i didn't text or call back immediately. Not only is that needy but what are you 12?

I miss the days when you'd have to be home for someone to reach you. Now there's this sense of entitlement people have with your time. They expect you to answer your phone or text them.

They integrate your position now in your facebook messages, read receipts in your texts...all of which can be switched off but it's the fact that they are just pushing this on people.

I really do miss having to make plans early with someone in order for them to happen. People valued and respected your time. And they didn't feel entitled to reach you whenever and where ever you are. There are days we don't feel like talking to the world and value our personal time...but now there are so many mediums where someone can reach you that all it takes is a buzz or ping in your pocket and you grab the electronic crack pipe.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I never thought this was that big of an issue. I guess if you're not one of those people who are glued to your phones or with people like that you don't really notice or really care about it.

I don't scan restaurants when I'm out and poke my gf and say "Hey look at those losers on their phones. Unbelievable.". When I'm out my attention is focused on the lovely lady across from me or talking to people and laughing when I drink my over priced beverage.

The only time my girlfriend or I pulled our phones out was at the very end to check if we could make it to scotiabank in time for a movie.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post

I don't scan restaurants when I'm out and poke my gf and say "Hey look at those losers on their phones. Unbelievable.".
a) I'm in a restaurant 12 hours a day 5 days a week
b) Just because someone is interested in the person across from them doesn't mean eyes don't scan the room. Maybe I'm just more observant than the average person, but its not that hard to realize whats going on around you without using more than 1 or 2 seconds per minute. There is no such thing in my life as "undivided attention." Although I agree there is no need to rag on people about it, and I wouldn't openly criticize people about it at the time, but sometimes people wear their emotions on their face, and its easy to see the disgust on mine sometimes. Its funny you mention the movie thing though. Thats usually the only time me and my wife have our phones out at the same time when we are out for dinner.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Hmm I guess what I was trying to say is I don't care if others are paying more attention to their phones. I doesn't bother me if it's not directly affecting me.

I scanned last night when I saw the table next to us got desert which I then had to get. Sometimes scanning is a good thing :P

EDIT: 12 hour days :O
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
EDIT: 12 hour days :O
Lol and no breaks. Fuck I need a new career. Anyone looking for an apprentice in anything? I don't need to take breaks.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #35
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,262 Times in 1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I got a minute in and got annoyed by this over the top, pointless video. The people who will get it don't need it and the people who need it are clueless anyways.
Agreed

It reminds me of those stupid upworthy clickbait articles

THIS GUY FILLED A THIMBLE WITH HIS SEMEN. WHAT HE DID NEXT WOULD MAKE GOD CRUMBLE!

Social media gives people control and it gives people a voice.

The reality is most people just look like embarrassments to the otherwise smartest species on the planet. Technology makes our lives easier but doesn't help us evolve.
GS8 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #36

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
In my opinion Texting/IM has had the most profound impact on social behaviour.

Once upon a time if a person needed to communicate with another and was in a public group setting they would excuse themselves, make a phone call, and when the call was over they would return and be part of the group again. Phone conversations also take MUCH less time to convey MUCH more information than a text chat.

Now it seems to be acceptable for someone to carry on a text chat with someone else while they're standing in front of you talking to you in person...

It's fucking rude, because it gives the impression that you not interested enough with the person you're actually hanging out with in person that your attention is going to some text chat with someone else.

I notice there's a huge generation gap between someone like me (I'm 32) and my sister (who's 23). I'm way more likely to just pick up the phone and call someone rather than text them.
When I get home from work my phone goes on my computer desk and stays there for the night, if someone texts me oh well they may not get a response until the next morning.
Whereas I don't ever think my sister's phone is less than a foot away from here at all times and she's ALWAYS texting someone.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #37
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
technology does not make us get smarter, it honestly makes us loose focus of what is true....technology makes people stupider, technology makes people not think on their own any longer, technology is making our youth slip away into the darkness of being a slave to the social media.
Technology makes us smarter, but making technology simple enough for the mentally worthless masses to use lets stupid people be even stupider. Making it easy for dumb people to have a voice on the internet is possibly the worst thing we've done in ages.

Quote:
Kids these days do not play outside but play inside with pc systems and ps3/xboxs, etc....they have forgotten how to have fun with other kids exploring....
Why the fuck do kids have to go outside? I've had plenty of fun exploring virtual worlds with friends who I never would have otherwise had the chance to meet as they live around the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Now it seems to be acceptable for someone to carry on a text chat with someone else while they're standing in front of you talking to you in person...

It's fucking rude, because it gives the impression that you not interested enough with the person you're actually hanging out with in person that your attention is going to some text chat with someone else.
I got a watch just for this reason, I like being able to check the time without looking like a douche by checking my phone while talking to someone.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
I got a watch just for this reason, I like being able to check the time without looking like a douche by checking my phone while talking to someone.
Is that watch by any chance a pebble so you can check your texts while your at it?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

kids DO need to go outside.
balance is key

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #40
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
This is the generation of instant gratification. Instagram, Instant Messaging, Status Updates....everything now now now.

I remember my ex girlfriend would get upset when i didn't text or call back immediately. Not only is that needy but what are you 12?

I miss the days when you'd have to be home for someone to reach you. Now there's this sense of entitlement people have with your time. They expect you to answer your phone or text them.

They integrate your position now in your facebook messages, read receipts in your texts...all of which can be switched off but it's the fact that they are just pushing this on people.

I really do miss having to make plans early with someone in order for them to happen. People valued and respected your time. And they didn't feel entitled to reach you whenever and where ever you are. There are days we don't feel like talking to the world and value our personal time...but now there are so many mediums where someone can reach you that all it takes is a buzz or ping in your pocket and you grab the electronic crack pipe.

You don't have to miss those days. Just get rid of your mobile phone. See, that's the thing about technology. It's nothing but a convenience, a commodity. No one is forcing you to adopt a modern lifestyle.

But you're not really gonna get rid of that phone, just to get those good ol' days back are you?

Anyways, back to general discussion:

Social media making people unsociable is nothing but an urban myth. Take a look at your facebook profile and look at the people with high numbers of friends, and tell me that due to the the expanse of their network, that they have become socially inept.

Honestly, this isn't a new thing. I've been hearing the same type complaints since way before smart phones & social media.

- When texting became popular, everyone complained about the concept of texting is inconvenient in comparison to just calling the person you want to contact.

- When mobile phones became popular, everyone complained that it made everyone too accessible. I've heard complaints that "if I'm not home, that means I'm busy". Well, that sentiment didn't last long.

- Before mobile phones and people were talking on landline, people were complaining about individuals who chat endlessly on the phone. I've heard sentiments, why talk on the phone when you can just meet the other party and talk in person.

- Before email, I've heard. Why email? It's doesn't convey personal when it's not handwritten. Plus let's not make handwriting a lost art. Let's do away with emails and go back to old hand written communique.

And with each and every argument, technology still progresses forward and new methods and practices get adopted. Over time, It's only brought me to one conclusion; that people bringing these types of things up, are just doing it for the sake of going-against-the-status-quo; and that's it. Because no one is forcing them to adopt new methods and conveniences, and no one is stopping them from going back and using the primitive methods. So why the fuss? Why make a stink? Why make videos or blogs like this? Because you just want people to do as you do. That's all.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #41

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
a lot of ppl ask me why i like to go to the arcade instead of playing at home online

truth is when i play fighting games i like to meet the guy im playing with, cuz chances are the persons gonna be better then me & if i see something (like a combo that i see) i can ask nicely & i might be able to learn on the spot with a demo

its much better then sitting at home playing the damn game & if i got a question i cant ask anyone & force myself to learn it

i like talking to ppl & i like to meet random ppl in person too, if gives both of us a chance to know us in real life instead of just behind a technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #42

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Why the fuck do kids have to go outside? I've had plenty of fun exploring virtual worlds with friends who I never would have otherwise had the chance to meet as they live around the planet.
Cause sitting in front of the computer all day makes you fat and lazy. Your virtual world are just pixels on a screen. Its cool to game now and then but to say you don't need to go outside and play as a child is pretty retarded.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #43
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Cause sitting in front of the computer all day makes you fat and lazy. Your virtual world are just pixels on a screen. Its cool to game now and then but to say you don't need to go outside and play as a child is pretty retarded.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #44

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Didn't watch the video and really have no desire to. We are living in an instant gratification world nowadays and having instant access to the internet and social media fuels this. Kinda sad how we are feeling so disconnected from each other. Human interaction is a lost art nowadays.

Personally, I log in when I have time(like now for example) and turn all my push notifications off on my phone. I'll get to it when I get to it. There are many people I socialize with that live thousands of miles away so for that it is nice to have a medium for communication. But posting something then waiting for someone to "like" or "thank" you so you can feel appreciated or accepted. fcuk me, that is the wrong message.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #45
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:

its a sad sad story but is all true, with technology increasing, our brains are fading!

That's my story

Because most of the things that are more interesting than playing video games are now considered disturbing the peace. You can't launch a model rocket without heading off into the forest now, assholes get uptight and call the cops. The same goes for airsoft/cap guns, skateboarding, etc.

Before computers and cellphones, there were shooting clubs in high schools across america, now the thought of a gun near a teenager is on par with saying "I love Hitler". So many things have changed in society when it comes to personal freedom, we live sheltered lives compared to 40+ years ago.

New laws are imposed, freedom is restricted, and our privacy is eroded, this is the course society has taken and will continue to take.

"They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Last edited by Yodamaster; 05-06-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #46
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Didn't watch the video and really have no desire to. We are living in an instant gratification world nowadays and having instant access to the internet and social media fuels this. Kinda sad how we are feeling so disconnected from each other. Human interaction is a lost art nowadays.

Personally, I log in when I have time(like now for example) and turn all my push notifications off on my phone. I'll get to it when I get to it. There are many people I socialize with that live thousands of miles away so for that it is nice to have a medium for communication. But posting something then waiting for someone to "like" or "thank" you so you can feel appreciated or accepted. fcuk me, that is the wrong message.

How are we disconnected to each other when in the next paragraph you concede that we're much closer than we've ever been, because of the information age, and smart technology?

- You can communicate via text, chat, or video with friends or loved ones half way across the world in real time.

- Because of social media, it's easier to find, befriend, or be casual aquaintances with distant friends (friend of a friend of a friend).

- Also because of social media, it's easier to keep up with old friends you may be unable to see for extended periods of time for whatever reasons that may be. Be it, relocation, etc.

- Events are also easier to set up; choose whichever avenue in the internet that's available for you.

- The information age has also brought global news and events not just to your door step but at your finger tips. Arab Spring anyone, just as an example.

- Various online communities also bring people with the same interest together. People who would otherwise be complete strangers to each other if not for it. RS is a great example of this; among the many.

Human interaction is not a lot art. It just levelled up.

Maybe by disconnect you mean, people that don't really matter? Because if that's what it is, then the issue is with the individual and how they rank each person's importance subjective to them.

Last edited by Noir; 05-06-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #47

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
^very valid points

I suppose I was more thinking about the people that would rather speak to you through a text message even if they are standing right in front of you.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #48
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
With anything there are going to be dickheads that misuse it. Back in the day I'm sure there were people who would rather send telegrams to distant friends than talk to people nearby, some problem.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote