REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Looking to get an impact driver

I am looking into getting an impact driver so I can conquer those bolts that make my life miserable.

1/4" 3/8" 1/2" which one should I got for? What is the disadvantage of getting the smallest impact like 1/4"?

I am currently looking at the DeWalt 20v, but not sure which socket size to get.
Advertisement
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I use a Makita 20V at work daily. They are awesome, just get the standard (3/8 i think it is) then you can get kits that have all the pieces you want.

Downside to buying non standard is that it's hard to find kits for it.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Hows the torque on the tool? I'd mainly using it for the really tight bolts like sway bar bushing jobs and removing rusty bolts in obscure places.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
An impact driver and an impact wrench are not the same tool.

An impact driver is designed to drive screws, whereas an impact wrench is designed to drive sockets. As such, an impact driver is set up with a hex drive (female) and an impact wrench is set up with a square drive (male). The tools can be fitted with drive adapters, but the rmp, ipm, and torque ratings are very different. Therefore, buy the tool designed for your primary application. In your case, that's the impact wrench.

The downside to buying the smallest size impact wrench is that its the lightest duty, ie. lowest torque. A 1/4 drive impact wrench is suited to light-duty assembly. A 3/8 or 1/2 drive impact wrench is suited to medium-duty automotive work, which is what you'd be doing. The 3/8 drive will have lower torque than the 1/2 drive but will be smaller and lighter, and would be a better tool all around for your work.

Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, Snap-On, etc. all make electric impact wrenches. The debate between over what one is better is largely personal preference. I like Milwaukee, but they're all pretty good.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-04-2014 at 04:23 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Impact driver:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/69493...24250-obo.html

Impact gun (electric/cordless/air):
http://www.wrenches.com/wp-content/u...act-wrench.jpg
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p..._2000x2000.jpg
http://www.tooltopia.com/_img/CPT/CPT734H.jpg

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

if you have air, i recommend getting the ingersoll-rand 3/8 composite gun.. it's so light and strong
Ingersoll Rand | 2115TiMAX Series

i love mine..
Old 05-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
1/4 offers better clearance to tight spots, but it the shaft might be too small and get warped easily under the torque from an impact wrench.

For tools like this identify the use of it is important, as some places are too small for tools like this. Personally I think 3/8 is about right.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

its all the same shit. get whatever is most appealing.
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
I used to think this...

until I used a Makita 18/20V and a DeWalt 20V compared to a Ryobi or Mikwaukee. Theres a HUGE difference. I can compare the difference to using a Toy. You also have to think about the application, If its light duty use, you can go with the cheaper ones, but if you use them daily and for hours on the day, its best to go with a high quality one with great battery life.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It might be but shaft size dictates how much clearance you get.. nothing worse than assuming the magical tool you are going to buy will fit in all circumstances but it turns out it wont, especially when you are on the clock or worse when you have everything taken apart.. it affects your workflow and your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
3/8 is your best best, you can adapt up and down. I've used a 1/4" impact wrench with an adapter to 1/2" the jump is too big and you'll end up snapping the adapter when using bigger bolts.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: