REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,127 Times in 134 Posts
Cyclist Struck and Killed Near Brentwood Mall

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Cycl...669/story.html

Quote:
A cyclist died after being struck by a car near Brentwood Town Centre in Burnaby on Tuesday afternoon.

Mounties say the cyclist was trying to cross Lougheed Highway at Beta Avenue when the collision occurred just before 1:30 p.m.

Police were called to the crash site by paramedics, who had earlier arrived to find the cyclist in full cardiac arrest. The cyclist died at the scene.

The driver of the car remained at the scene and is co-operating with police.

The intersection remained closed while police gathered evidence and interviewed witnesses. The B.C. Coroners Service has been notified of the incident.

The victim’s name, gender and age are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

© Copyright (c) The Province

This is very sad news. RIP to the cyclist.

I was heading home from work on lougheed and you could see the body lying on beta ave beside brentwood mall. Blood was actually seeping down the hill onto the highway.
Advertisement
bicboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Was just about to post this.

I saw the cyclist under a tarp and knew they died at the scene. Based on where they were I just can't see how the story at The Province and Global jives. They claim the cyclist was crossing Lougheed, but they ended up halfway up Beta on the steep hill. I just don't see how the cyclist could have gone that far, especially since their bike was right beside them. Unless they were dragged, which still seems odd to anyone who drives there. Beta is pretty steep and people just don't drive that fast when crossing Lougheed going uphill.

Then around 6:00pm I'm driving by the Brentwood Skytrain station and there's a bunch of ambulances and cops there along with camera crews, and the station is locked down with a train being held inside on the west bound track. Don't know if someone was struck by the train or something happened on the train itself.

WTF is going on at Brentwood today?
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
^ Heard somebody jumped in front of it, not sure if purposefully or not
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Major delays on Skytrain's Millennium Line | (CKNW AM) AM980
there was a medical issue with a passenger on the train

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Major delays on Skytrain's Millennium Line | (CKNW AM) AM980
there was a medical issue with a passenger on the train
Is that code for jumper?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Is that code for jumper?
I think so. If someone had a heart attack (for example) on a train, why would they prevent people from entering on the other side? You could still allow people to board on the other track. I'm thinking it's because they don't want people to see what happened.

That's why there are no passengers on the trains passing through the station and they board/re-board at stations on either side and take a temporary shuttle bus instead.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

good point. Seems like a lot of suicide's/attempts have been happening already.

The bridges, and the skytrains
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
from the ScanBC twitter re: the medical emergency:

ScanBC ‏@ScanBC 6h
#Burnaby crews are on scene at Brentwood Skytrain Station after someone was hit by a train. Trains stopped in both directions.

It's possible someone could have fallen, it happened last year at Broadway when someone was bumped into the track area
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote