REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   First nations band declares naval blockade on large area of Van Island Waters (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695075-first-nations-band-declares-naval-blockade-large-area-van-island-waters.html)

Great68 05-07-2014 01:14 PM

First nations band declares naval blockade on large area of Van Island Waters

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/...nusbandban.jpg

Quote:

The Stz’uminus (Chemainus) First Nation has pledged to prohibit boat traffic in a large chunk of coastal Cowichan waters.

The area affected includes everything north of Maple Bay, from Sansum Narrows right up to Dodds Narrows south of Nanaimo.

“Until further notice, Stz’uminus First Nation will prohibit access to its core territory in the Salish Sea by all vessels, including but not limited to, commercial fishing vessels, Fisheries and Oceans Canada vessels, and any non-Native civilians and government officials,” John Elliott, chief of the Ladysmith-area band said in a statement released Friday.

It is not clear at this time what steps the band may take in an attempt to enforce its declaration.

But it is clear the move stems from deep dissatisfaction about the way the federal government has dealt with fishing rights within the territory in question.

“The ongoing actions of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans have failed to follow federal Aboriginal consultation and accommodation laws, failed to appropriately manage or allow for co-management of fisheries within our territory and, ultimately, have failed to recognize Aboriginal Rights and Title,” Elliott writes.

“The DFO continues to favour existing commercial monopolies and continues to inadequately consult with Aboriginal groups when enacting policy,” he wrote. “Due to its gross mismanagement and failure to follow government mandates, we can no longer allow the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to manage fisheries within our territory. We cannot stand by while fish stocks within our territory continue to be depleted and our rights ignored.”

Elliott also sent a letter to B.C. fisheries sectoral groups, such as the Underwater Harvesters Association and the BC Shellfish Farmers.

“We understand that this [action] will create challenges for all parties, and we would like to firmly state that our fight is not with the commercial harvesters. Our fight is with the DFO alone, and our hope is to compel them to follow Canadian law when enacting new policy and change their existing policies surrounding aboriginal access accordingly.”

Ray Gauthier, CEO of Stz’uminus First Nation’s Coast Salish Development Corporation, says they have been trying to work with DFO for five years, particularly around geoduck harvesting.

“We’ve tried to work with them,” he said. “We don’t like sending out the kind of messages we sent out on Friday, but at the end of the day, we’re tired of being ignored.”

Like Elliott, Gauthier emphasizes that they aren’t taking this position because they want to hurt commercial fisheries — they’re doing this because they feel their community must take action.

“We’re concerned about safety,” said Gauthier. “It’s not like we like to do this. We don’t know what else to do. We’re frustrated … We know this is a David and Goliath thing, but if we don’t do anything, nothing’s going to happen.”

Fisheries and Ocean Minister Gail Shea issued a written statement in response to Elliott’s letter.

“Fisheries and Oceans Canada manages fisheries resources to allow for sustainable fishing opportunities,” it reads.

“Officials are engaged in ongoing discussions with the Stz’uminus to understand their concerns and interest. When needed, DFO and the RCMP work with fishermen and members of the First Nations to ensure the safety of everyone on the water.”
I was actually planning to go boating this Saturday, launching from Cow Bay and going up Sansum narrows. I'll be sure to use me best "come at me bro" pose.

sdubfid 05-07-2014 01:50 PM

Do they even canoe?

Hot Karl 05-07-2014 01:57 PM

i want to say something racist. but there are too many ways to go about my racist statement so i'll just leave it at that.

nma 05-07-2014 02:02 PM

Beware of bows and arrows!

CharlesInCharge 05-07-2014 03:00 PM

This area is huge!
http://i.imgur.com/pegYp5D.jpg
I would love for sections of Canada to be independent and outside of its laws... parts of our economy would really flourish without the burden of regulations (permits & licenses), and tax to do business.

Manic! 05-07-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8468101)
without the burden of regulations (permits & licenses), and tax to do business.

You want to buy some tainted meat I can give you a good price.

CharlesInCharge 05-07-2014 03:03 PM

Whats tainted is living in a Crown colony and a subject of the Queen.

Manic! 05-07-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8468107)
Whats tainted is living in a Crown colony and a subject of the Queen.

What's wrong with selling tainted meat. Screw the government is should be able to sell what ever I want. Who cares if people get sick right?

Renthal 05-07-2014 03:14 PM

looks like bc ferries goes right thru the blockade...

meme405 05-07-2014 03:14 PM

Naval Blockade :fuckthatshit:

I guess there is going to be a shortage of:

http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/...lenger-200.jpg

On the island this summer, as the natives ramp up their blockade efforts.

CharlesInCharge 05-07-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8468110)
What's wrong with selling tainted meat. Screw the government is should be able to sell what ever I want. Who cares if people get sick right?

Do you think the Irish and their neighbours had tainted meat concerns when they were fighting for their freedom from the British?

Manic! 05-07-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8468121)
Do you think the Irish and their neighbours had tainted meat concerns when they were fighting for their freedom from the British?

They also didn't care if they murdered women and children.

nma 05-07-2014 03:43 PM

I'm really interested to see what this "blockade" consists of...

“The DFO continues to favour existing commercial monopolies and continues to inadequately consult with Aboriginal groups when enacting policy,” he wrote. “Due to its gross mismanagement and failure to follow government mandates, we can no longer allow the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to manage fisheries within our territory. We cannot stand by while fish stocks within our territory continue to be depleted and our rights ignored.”

I mean I don't really see how this blockade will save the eco-system of their specific land. The eco-system that is damaged is widely dispersed. I get that they might be doing this to raise awareness, but even if they are able to regulate mandates / laws on THEIR territories, the mis-management will occur elsewhere and directly affect their eco-system. There is a MUCH bigger picture here, and I hope it ALL gets captured in this and doesn't just center around their territory and its sustainability.

Ball.J.Inder 05-07-2014 06:25 PM

We should be done with this Native bull crap. What happened to them happened 200(?) years ago. The government should honor the agreement for natives who prove they understand their culture and history, and live on the reserve; although, they should not support natives who choose to move out of the reserve and cash in on social services. This whole native thing is on par with the African-American slavery stuff that dumb kids always cry about today in the states.

We obviously wouldn't tolerate slavery or displacement of people today but the point is, what happened in the past can't be changed but it was a different time and a different kind of thinking. I don't see how someone is entitled to take taxpayers' money to support their whole family, because their great great great grandparents were mistreated.

P.S.
Not to be offensive, but from what i've seen living in the lower mainland is:

Natives who want to integrate still use their native status to cash in

Natives i've known personally actually try to take advantage of the system by applying to multiple bands/tribes or w.e the fuck they're called. Then they brag about all the stuff they can buy while their cousins on the reserve have leaky roofs.

Many natives move out of the reserve and use their status to buy drugs and alchohol. (not a stereotype, you can see for yourself and you'd be lying to say I'm wrong.)

CharlesInCharge 05-07-2014 07:26 PM

Do you think the largest diamond in the world, which was stolen from India, should be returned by the Queen? Or was that too long ago to make a difference?

SkinnyPupp 05-07-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8468110)

Right, because unless it comes from a commercial operation that paid off the government, it's going to be tainted.

Manic! 05-07-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8468211)
Right, because unless it comes from a commercial operation that paid off the government, it's going to be tainted.

When did I say that? I said I had some tainted meat and I would give hi a good deal if he wanted it. If there were no rule and regulation I'm sure some commercial companies would be willing to sell sub standard meat.

mikemhg 05-08-2014 03:10 PM

"African-American slavery stuff"? Are you fucking retarded? There are people still ALIVE to this day that lived in a time during the Jim Crow era laws. Do you have any knowledge of this subject whatsoever? Did you conduct any sort of research before you made that stupid post? Do you actually believe true societal balance can be achieved for a group of people that underwent that level of segregation less than half a century ago? Jesus Christ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder (Post 8468192)
We should be done with this Native bull crap. What happened to them happened 200(?) years ago. The government should honor the agreement for natives who prove they understand their culture and history, and live on the reserve; although, they should not support natives who choose to move out of the reserve and cash in on social services. This whole native thing is on par with the African-American slavery stuff that dumb kids always cry about today in the states.

We obviously wouldn't tolerate slavery or displacement of people today but the point is, what happened in the past can't be changed but it was a different time and a different kind of thinking. I don't see how someone is entitled to take taxpayers' money to support their whole family, because their great great great grandparents were mistreated.

P.S.

Natives i've known personally actually try to take advantage of the system by applying to multiple bands/tribes or w.e the fuck they're called. Then they brag about all the stuff they can buy while their cousins on the reserve have leaky roofs.

Many natives move out of the reserve and use their status to buy drugs and alchohol. (not a stereotype, you can see for yourself and you'd be lying to say I'm wrong.)

GabAlmighty 05-08-2014 03:17 PM

Who gives a flying fuck, nothing's going to happen or be done about jack shit concerning this.

MindBomber 05-08-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder (Post 8468192)

P.S.

The past cannot be changed, however, the future has not been written. The Government can recognize the fault of their predecessors, and contribute to breaking the cycle of behaviour that came through it. The fault did not end generations ago, but rather only begun to end in our parents generation (mid-1960s).

You can argue that's your experience of First Nations people in the Lower Mainland, but as a Métis person with many Aboriginal friends and acquaintances my experience is entirely dissimilar. On the other hand, I have met white people that abuse the welfare system. I wouldn't suggest white people abuse their status, though.

Ball.J.Inder 05-08-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 8468663)
"African-American slavery stuff"? Are you fucking retarded? There are people still ALIVE to this day that lived in a time during the Jim Crow era laws. Do you have any knowledge of this subject whatsoever? Did you conduct any sort of research before you made that stupid post? Do you actually believe true societal balance can be achieved for a group of people that underwent that level of segregation less than half a century ago? Jesus Christ...

There was racial segregation,still pretty bad, but that's not the same as slavery so iunno what you got ur panties in a twist for. My point was we should stop living in the past. What's is your point? People who were victims to that sort of treatment should be entitled to more things than the rest of us and that we should all kiss their ass because of what someone else did to them?

CharlesInCharge 05-08-2014 08:57 PM

I tried to make the case of an ethical one because people often dont put themselves in others shoes... but even people of today have no connection/understanding of their past roots.

We have to look at what makes people like Ball.J.Inder come to these conclusions... to live in the moment, disregard history, and think our rulers today are the fresh faced politicians that revolve in and out of government every few years.

I blame most of it in our school education and the other on the carefully tried and tuned propaganda machine of the media.

Redlines_Daily 05-09-2014 11:21 AM

SkinnyPupp 05-09-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily (Post 8469120)
As a foster parent to a child with developmental disabilities I find it quite difficult to take your post seriously when you start your argument for equality with "Are you fucking retarded?".

Would it have been OK if he said "are you an idiot"?

Yodamaster 05-09-2014 07:01 PM

I'm not seeing the method in which they will use to enforce this blockade...

I could announce my intention to block off a road because I felt like it, but nobody would give a crap unless I made it impassable.