REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Good Guy Cop

Its nice to see something like this with recent stomps of police enforcement around the world via social media.

Police officer goes above and beyond for Sumter teen - WSMV Channel 4

Quote:
SUMTER, SC (WIS) -
A Sumter police officer went above and beyond for a 13-year-old boy.

A few weeks ago, 13-year-old Cameron Simmons called Sumter police because he was upset after fighting with his mom. The teenager told police he didn't want to live in the house with his family anymore.

Officer Gaetano Acerra responded to the call.

"I said, ‘You have it good, you have a roof over your head,'" said Acerra. "I told him I would try to help him out, and here we are now."

The officer brought Simmons home, and realized the boy didn't have a real bed. In fact, Simmons didn't have nearly anything he needed for a bedroom.

"My heart went out for him," said Acerra. "I thought the little things that he needed I could give him, to make him a happier kid."

A few weeks after the call, Acerra showed up at Simmon's house with a truck full of gifts.

"Bed, TV, desk, chair, a Wii game system that somebody donated to me because of the story I told them," said Acerra.

Simmons told Acerra that because of the new bed, his back won't hurt anymore.

Simmons was sleeping on an inflatable mattress. The teenager said the mattress would slowly deflate throughout the night.

"I didn't do this for publicity or to get people to notice me," Acerra said. "I did it because I could. It was the right thing to do and I think people should do things like this."

Officer Acerra said he has gained more than just a few pats on the back; he's gained friend.

Acerra gave Simmons his cell phone number, and told him to call anytime.

Acerra plans to bring Simmons more bedroom furniture, including a dresser and mirror.
Advertisement
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
If more police officers did things like this in the ghettos the perception of police in those areas would be so much better. Hopefully this will cause a ripple effect and we will see more stories like this in the future
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Lets hope all that stuff he was given doesnt get taken by his mom and sold or whatever.

But good guy human for sure.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Wonder if the kid got a Simmons mattress
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
If more police officers did things like this in the ghettos the perception of police in those areas would be so much better. Hopefully this will cause a ripple effect and we will see more stories like this in the future
The stuff was all donated. Why don't you go to the ghetto and donate stuff?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
The stuff was all donated. Why don't you go to the ghetto and donate stuff?
Majority was bought by the cop, the Wii was donated to him by a friend
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Stories like this, of police officers actually doing good things for others and making simple sacrifices to help people, are not rare. The reason you see so much news/media reports of police corruption, brutality, abuse of power, etc., is because the media has realized that it is those types of reports that sell, plain and simple. We live in a world where people want to see "heroes" get taken down and vilified, not praised for their efforts... kudos to the cop though, real good guy for sure.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
Stories like this, of police officers actually doing good things for others and making simple sacrifices to help people, are not rare. The reason you see so much news/media reports of police corruption, brutality, abuse of power, etc., is because the media has realized that it is those types of reports that sell, plain and simple. We live in a world where people want to see "heroes" get taken down and vilified, not praised for their efforts... kudos to the cop though, real good guy for sure.
Exactly thats why it was nice too see something like this around instead of some story saying a cop was abusing his powers (which most of the time lack the context of the actual even)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
police do stuff like this all the time. The VPD takes underprivileged kids to Canucks games. Here is some of the stuff they did in 2013. 2013 Funded Projects | Vancouver Police Foundation
Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
One of the bajillion reasons why having a kid should be a licensed program.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: