REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 05-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Stacked washer dryer maintenance/purchase

Question for the more experienced home owners: My condo is about 7 years old and I found this in the strata minutes:

Quote:
Washing Machine – Flood

Again, recently there was a flood from a washing machine failure, which resulted in extensive damage to a number of suites. This was a result of the float switch not shutting off when the water reached the maximum level in the washing machine.

Just a reminder to all Owners: If you currently have a washing machine that was one of the originals installed in your suite when the building was built, it is highly recommended that you purchase a new washing machine or have yours checked by a plumber to ensure it is working properly to avoid a failure and flooding, as essential parts to these machines are failing. It is also recommended not to leave your suite, when the washing machine is running.
I know nobody can predict the future. But is it even worth calling in a repairman? Is it easy/cheap to just replace the float switch plus maybe the hoses in the back? If it's not obvious by now, I know absolutely nothing about how washing machines work.

While I haven't yet phoned around, I am wondering how much would a repairman going to cost me, with no guarantee of preventing a flood, versus just biting the bullet and getting a replacement washer? Right now the machine works great, but that's the problem. I don't want to spend unnecessary money, but I don't want to cheap out either and end up with a flood. With that said, any suggestions for appliance repairmen and/or appliance stores are welcome.
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Call Tammy @ Budget Appliances in Surrey, she's your girl for all that is appliances and she can point you in the right direction, whether to fix or replace.
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote