REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Tailgating question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695214-tailgating-question.html)

stewie 05-13-2014 10:12 AM

Tailgating question

I'm sure it's been answered before, but if someone is tailgating and the car infront decides to just hammer on the brakes for no reason, who's at fault? The tailgater or the car who hammered the brakes?

meme405 05-13-2014 10:34 AM

If you rear end someone 95% of the time its 100% your fault.

BrRsn 05-13-2014 10:38 AM

unless there's witnesses or something I can't see ICBC blaming anyone but the person behind you. Nearly every section of the new drivers book suggests maintaining a speed/distance that allows you to come to a complete stop in the space between the car ahead of you and yourself

snails 05-13-2014 10:46 AM

there are a few cases when the driver infront is at fault. (merging) for example

but as the following car it is their job to leave a safe distance.

the problem is that its hard to prove the driver slammed their brakes for no reason.. they could have said they thought they saw a child or dog and that would be good enough reason to icbc.

mk1freak 05-13-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8470791)
there are a few cases when the driver infront is at fault. (merging) for example

the problem is that its hard to prove the driver slammed their brakes for no reason.. they could have said they thought they saw a child or dog and that would be good enough reason to icbc.

apparently even snails :pokerface:

Brianrietta 05-13-2014 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's probably just because it's lunchtime and I'm hungry but when I saw a post by Stewie about tailgating I was pretty disappointed to learn this isn't one forum up in the truck section.

stewie 05-13-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8470791)

thats what i told my father...but he seems to be god and hes smarter than everybody else in the world so he believes that if hes on a hill (boundary and hastings) and the car in front of him rolls back when going from a stop to moving forward, its their fault for rolling back and if they have a stick shift and roll back then its still their fault and they shouldnt be allowed to drive a car thats not been driven "safely".

aka, my dads a fucking retard who tailgates while driving and at red lights. his excuse is that "ive been driving for 40+ years and have never had an accident, i think i know what im doing. if someone hammers on their brakes, icbc goes after them for stopping when not needed."....

i wanna teach him a lesson....but im sure he'll learn it himself the hard way in no time...

GabAlmighty 05-13-2014 02:42 PM

I told ICBC I saw a squirrel/raccoon or some other form of hazard jump out into the road so I slammed on my brakes to avoid a collision with said hazard.

snails 05-13-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 8470882)
thats what i told my father...but he seems to be god and hes smarter than everybody else in the world so he believes that if hes on a hill (boundary and hastings) and the car in front of him rolls back when going from a stop to moving forward, its their fault for rolling back and if they have a stick shift and roll back then its still their fault and they shouldnt be allowed to drive a car thats not been driven "safely".

aka, my dads a fucking retard who tailgates while driving and at red lights. his excuse is that "ive been driving for 40+ years and have never had an accident, i think i know what im doing. if someone hammers on their brakes, icbc goes after them for stopping when not needed."....

i wanna teach him a lesson....but im sure he'll learn it himself the hard way in no time...

if a car is on the hill and he didnt leave a safe space it would be in icbc's hands as it would be a he said/ she said type deal. but if he dosnt leave enough room and icbc feels that way then it will be his fault.

even automatic cars roll back. not all are the same when it comes to how they roll while idling in gear

zulutango 05-13-2014 03:34 PM

If you deliberately slam on your brakes for no reason and a crash results, you could be charged with dangerous driving or criminal neg. under the CC, or you could get ticketed for due care or reasonable consideration under the MV Act. If the person behind doesn't stop in time he could be charged for following too close. His ticket I believe is $138, yours could be $197 or 368 plus 6 points...or whatever the criminal code charges bring, depending on the severity of the crash. You could also end up in civil court where they remove your opened wallet thru your tightly clenched sphincter. Good luck.

mk1freak 05-13-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8470913)
. You could also end up in civil court where they remove your opened wallet thru your tightly clenched sphincter. Good luck.

reminded me totally of those US travel insurance commercials on radio :lawl:

zulutango 05-13-2014 04:31 PM

The John Cleese one where he is a doctor?

mk1freak 05-13-2014 05:16 PM

Yes but your version is Benny Hill :lawl:

Spidey 05-13-2014 05:36 PM

If you are behind someone, paying attention, and are at a safe distance, there is no reason why you will not stop in time.

zulutango 05-13-2014 07:28 PM

IF...,.IF!!! :hotbaby:

freakshow 05-13-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8470979)
If you are behind someone, paying attention, and are at a safe distance, there is no reason why you will not stop in time.

If they're tailgating someone.. I think it's safe to say that they are not at a safe distance..

hchang 05-14-2014 12:10 AM

What if you're like this truck driver who gets cut off and then given the finger?

Assuming you have video evidence can you claim you "couldn't stop in time"? Video clearly shows you were cut off and not following too closely. But however it looks like he could stopped if he wanted to but was just tipped over the edge by the finger

Would feel pretty damn good to slam into somebody purposely trying to cause an accident or claiming injuries... A taste of their own medicine

Skip to 0:25

Spidey 05-15-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8471165)
If they're tailgating someone.. I think it's safe to say that they are not at a safe distance..

that was my point.

Spidey 05-15-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 8471227)
What if you're like this truck driver who gets cut off and then given the finger?

Assuming you have video evidence can you claim you "couldn't stop in time"? Video clearly shows you were cut off and not following too closely. But however it looks like he could stopped if he wanted to but was just tipped over the edge by the finger

Would feel pretty damn good to slam into somebody purposely trying to cause an accident or claiming injuries... A taste of their own medicine

Skip to 0:25

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSR1Pzm9MQ

they are both idiots

kross9 05-15-2014 02:10 PM

also this can happen

GabAlmighty 05-15-2014 02:35 PM

If you're driving a truck and someone cuts you off and slams on the brakes and you have a witness/dash cam then it isn't your fault. Just got hired with Progressive Waste and they mentioned that it had happened but since they caught it on camera that buddy cut off and slammed on the brakes that it was his fault.