REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
stewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: burnaby
Posts: 3,090
Thanked 1,888 Times in 487 Posts
Tailgating question

I'm sure it's been answered before, but if someone is tailgating and the car infront decides to just hammer on the brakes for no reason, who's at fault? The tailgater or the car who hammered the brakes?
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,625
Thanked 7,175 Times in 2,176 Posts
If you rear end someone 95% of the time its 100% your fault.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,594
Thanked 5,847 Times in 1,521 Posts
unless there's witnesses or something I can't see ICBC blaming anyone but the person behind you. Nearly every section of the new drivers book suggests maintaining a speed/distance that allows you to come to a complete stop in the space between the car ahead of you and yourself
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy
 
snails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: in a shell
Posts: 2,580
Thanked 5,905 Times in 1,119 Posts
there are a few cases when the driver infront is at fault. (merging) for example

but as the following car it is their job to leave a safe distance.

the problem is that its hard to prove the driver slammed their brakes for no reason.. they could have said they thought they saw a child or dog and that would be good enough reason to icbc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
It doesn't matter what size you are, if all you do is masturbate.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
all day, everyday
 
mk1freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 19th hole
Posts: 2,010
Thanked 1,944 Times in 523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
there are a few cases when the driver infront is at fault. (merging) for example

but as the following car it is their job to leave a safe distance.

the problem is that its hard to prove the driver slammed their brakes for no reason.. they could have said they thought they saw a child or dog and that would be good enough reason to icbc.
apparently even snails
__________________
My Feedback
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Brianrietta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 4906'N12158'W
Posts: 1,106
Thanked 1,131 Times in 308 Posts
It's probably just because it's lunchtime and I'm hungry but when I saw a post by Stewie about tailgating I was pretty disappointed to learn this isn't one forum up in the truck section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gator Pit.jpg (287.9 KB, 0 views)
__________________
nabs - Brianrietta are you trying to Mindbomber me? using big words to try to confuse me
jasonturbo - Threesomes: overrated - I didn't really think it was anything special, plus it was degrading, marching to the bathroom to fart all that semen out
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
stewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: burnaby
Posts: 3,090
Thanked 1,888 Times in 487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
there are a few cases when the driver infront is at fault. (merging) for example

but as the following car it is their job to leave a safe distance.

the problem is that its hard to prove the driver slammed their brakes for no reason.. they could have said they thought they saw a child or dog and that would be good enough reason to icbc.
thats what i told my father...but he seems to be god and hes smarter than everybody else in the world so he believes that if hes on a hill (boundary and hastings) and the car in front of him rolls back when going from a stop to moving forward, its their fault for rolling back and if they have a stick shift and roll back then its still their fault and they shouldnt be allowed to drive a car thats not been driven "safely".

aka, my dads a fucking retard who tailgates while driving and at red lights. his excuse is that "ive been driving for 40+ years and have never had an accident, i think i know what im doing. if someone hammers on their brakes, icbc goes after them for stopping when not needed."....

i wanna teach him a lesson....but im sure he'll learn it himself the hard way in no time...
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
GabAlmighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yellowknife NWT
Posts: 4,876
Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,053 Posts
I told ICBC I saw a squirrel/raccoon or some other form of hazard jump out into the road so I slammed on my brakes to avoid a collision with said hazard.
__________________
'16 Ram 1500
'85 Corolla
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy
 
snails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: in a shell
Posts: 2,580
Thanked 5,905 Times in 1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
thats what i told my father...but he seems to be god and hes smarter than everybody else in the world so he believes that if hes on a hill (boundary and hastings) and the car in front of him rolls back when going from a stop to moving forward, its their fault for rolling back and if they have a stick shift and roll back then its still their fault and they shouldnt be allowed to drive a car thats not been driven "safely".

aka, my dads a fucking retard who tailgates while driving and at red lights. his excuse is that "ive been driving for 40+ years and have never had an accident, i think i know what im doing. if someone hammers on their brakes, icbc goes after them for stopping when not needed."....

i wanna teach him a lesson....but im sure he'll learn it himself the hard way in no time...
if a car is on the hill and he didnt leave a safe space it would be in icbc's hands as it would be a he said/ she said type deal. but if he dosnt leave enough room and icbc feels that way then it will be his fault.

even automatic cars roll back. not all are the same when it comes to how they roll while idling in gear
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
It doesn't matter what size you are, if all you do is masturbate.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
If you deliberately slam on your brakes for no reason and a crash results, you could be charged with dangerous driving or criminal neg. under the CC, or you could get ticketed for due care or reasonable consideration under the MV Act. If the person behind doesn't stop in time he could be charged for following too close. His ticket I believe is $138, yours could be $197 or 368 plus 6 points...or whatever the criminal code charges bring, depending on the severity of the crash. You could also end up in civil court where they remove your opened wallet thru your tightly clenched sphincter. Good luck.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
all day, everyday
 
mk1freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 19th hole
Posts: 2,010
Thanked 1,944 Times in 523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
. You could also end up in civil court where they remove your opened wallet thru your tightly clenched sphincter. Good luck.
reminded me totally of those US travel insurance commercials on radio
__________________
My Feedback
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
The John Cleese one where he is a doctor?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
all day, everyday
 
mk1freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 19th hole
Posts: 2,010
Thanked 1,944 Times in 523 Posts
Yes but your version is Benny Hill
__________________
My Feedback
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
If you are behind someone, paying attention, and are at a safe distance, there is no reason why you will not stop in time.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
IF...,.IF!!!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
nuggets mod
 
freakshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 6,701
Thanked 3,045 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
If you are behind someone, paying attention, and are at a safe distance, there is no reason why you will not stop in time.
If they're tailgating someone.. I think it's safe to say that they are not at a safe distance..
__________________
I searched for truth, and all I found was You

'00 323i (Sold)
'01 Civic Si (Sold)
'95 240sx (Sold)
'02 LMB M5 (Sold)
'92 4Runner (Sold)
'92 Civic VX (Sold)
'03 SL500 (Sold)
'92 NSX
'99 M3 (Totalled)
'07 A4 2.0T (Sold)
'01 CB M5 (Sold)
'01 540i (Sold)
'11 535ix
freakshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 AM   #17
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,772
Thanked 2,952 Times in 682 Posts
What if you're like this truck driver who gets cut off and then given the finger?

Assuming you have video evidence can you claim you "couldn't stop in time"? Video clearly shows you were cut off and not following too closely. But however it looks like he could stopped if he wanted to but was just tipped over the edge by the finger

Would feel pretty damn good to slam into somebody purposely trying to cause an accident or claiming injuries... A taste of their own medicine

Skip to 0:25

hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
If they're tailgating someone.. I think it's safe to say that they are not at a safe distance..
that was my point.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #19
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
What if you're like this truck driver who gets cut off and then given the finger?

Assuming you have video evidence can you claim you "couldn't stop in time"? Video clearly shows you were cut off and not following too closely. But however it looks like he could stopped if he wanted to but was just tipped over the edge by the finger

Would feel pretty damn good to slam into somebody purposely trying to cause an accident or claiming injuries... A taste of their own medicine

Skip to 0:25

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSR1Pzm9MQ
they are both idiots
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
kross9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond
Posts: 627
Thanked 915 Times in 224 Posts
also this can happen

kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
GabAlmighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yellowknife NWT
Posts: 4,876
Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,053 Posts
If you're driving a truck and someone cuts you off and slams on the brakes and you have a witness/dash cam then it isn't your fault. Just got hired with Progressive Waste and they mentioned that it had happened but since they caught it on camera that buddy cut off and slammed on the brakes that it was his fault.
__________________
'16 Ram 1500
'85 Corolla
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net