REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 05-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Follow us on Twitter!

Topic: Things you probably don't know at my workplace

as per topic.. if you're comfortable, share some of your current, or past, workplace secrets that most people generally don't know

job: Bank

1. At the bank I worked at, the ATM machines had a back room to reload the cash from the back of the ATMs. There was a camera pointed straight at the customers who use the machine. Next time you withdraw money ..Say Cheese!

2. If you bring in a counterfeit bill at the teller and we catch it, police requires that we take it out of circulation and forward it to them for investigation. So in other words, we seize your fake bill. A lot of customers get mad at this one because some didn't even realize they had a fake
Advertisement
REVscene.net is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
This is a broad generalization for higher end mountain bikes circa 2007:
Cost of mountain bike to consumer $5000
Dealer cost $2500
Manufacturer cost $1250

The raw material cost for a turbo exhaust housing is approx. $7
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVscene.net View Post
job: Bank

1. At the bank I worked at, the ATM machines had a back room to reload the cash from the back of the ATMs. There was a camera pointed straight at the customers who use the machine. Next time you withdraw money ..Say Cheese!
If you only posted this one, I would have failed you already. How's that a 'secret'??

And seriously....Comic Sans???
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
If you only posted this one, I would have failed you already. How's that a 'secret'??

And seriously....Comic Sans???
Quit bitchin' and post your own job secret then?

Unless you're unemployed
Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
At my workplace. Comic Sans is BANNED. Seriously, but not really.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
There's flies in the ice at my workplace

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I am an accountant. We help wealthy people pay less than than you.
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
Founder, RS Veteran

If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this thread, then GTFO

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Job: Hospital

Almost everyone who is responsible for the operation of the hospitals I've worked at is ex-military (mostly navy).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

edit-too much info
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
ok

Last edited by knight604; 05-25-2014 at 10:03 PM.
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #12
Follow us on Twitter!

Topic can be converted to... SHARE YOUR INFO ABOUT COMMON WORKPLACES (from Reddit)

Anything McCafé at McDonald's

"I work for Mcdonald's and make sure everyone that matters to me never orders anything that comes out of the 'McCafe' machine as these are routinely neglected, in practically all the McDonalds. Not only are staff not properly trained in its cleaning and maintenance, at almost every McDonalds I've had experience with, the managers in charge of training them don't know fuck all either...All McCafe beverages run through a horrifically dirty machine - we're talking 5+ inches of uncleaned, liquid bullshit making up its inside parts"- Enviromet

Always ask for "fresh" chicken nuggets at McDonald's
"I used to work at McDonalds. If you order, especially chicken nuggets, just ask for them fresh. Otherwise they've been just sitting in their container in the heat. They have a timer, but 9/10 times when that timer goes off, people just reset the timer instead of making new ones. This could go on until all the nuggets are sold."- Ritch88
______

On steak and beans at Taco Bell

"I worked at taco bell a little bit ago and I warn everyone to stay away from both the beans, and the steak. The beans start out looking like cat food, and the directions are, 'Add water and stir until you can't see white anymore.' The steak was just the worst on dish duty. If it would sit too long it would become like hair gel. It was the worst."- Beefcake21

______

Wendy's chili

"I used to work at Wendy's. The meat used in the chili, yeah that comes from the meat on the grill top that expires and dries up that's put in to a warming drawer until you have enough for a batch of chili, which we first freeze and then thaw the next day. Also if the chili sitting in the warmer doesn't sell fast enough we just added hot water to it to mix it up."

______

For the love of God, don't order anything off the Starbucks "Secret Menu"

"Former starbucks worker here. Please don't order anything off the 'Secret Menu'. It doesn't exist. If you want a snickerdoodle, nuttella, or captain crunch frappuchino (or whatever other overly sugery thing someone has since come out with), know the base drink and the modifications, and order that. If you just say the name, it's up to the barista to come up with what's in the drink, and it may not be what the last barista you ordered from put in there."- Stac52

______

On movie theatre popcorn

"I worked at a theater, don't get popcorn for the first showing- that's all just last night's popcorn put into giant garbage bags and then reheated in the warmers in the morning.

Oh yeah and remember that sticky floor in the aisle of the theater? Well what do you think would happen if you had that at your house. YES THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS... and cockroaches, and everything else. Plus it's in the dark most of the time. It's like a bug buffet once the lights go out and the movie starts."- YouAteYourParents
______

BBQ Sandwiches at KFC

"Worked at KFC for ~4 years. The BBQ sandwich is actually made from chicken too old and stale to give to the homeless shelters, so they soak it in BBQ sauce until it can be pulled and then they keep it on the heater for a month.

I still order it through"
______

On gas station Slurpees
"Gas station slurpee's. The amount of mold in those machines would crush your childhood to a pulp."- MarTank666

Last edited by REVscene.net; 06-05-2014 at 11:55 PM.
REVscene.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
There's flies in the ice at my workplace
I had mold back in mcd few years ago LOL
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
city worker

we actually do more work than you think!

if theres ever a time where a tax payer confronts a city worker about ANYTHING, we must try to sympathize with them and agree with whatever they say(happens on a daily basis).

when people complain were lazy: "theres 5 guys just leaning on shovels doing nothing"...its usually because a) we cannot do anything until an excavator has dug out the hole. b) everyone has a job to do. if the lead-hand hasn't found the gas line or street lighting wires, we stay out of the hole until he's located it. c) the foreman sits in the truck all day because hes doing all the paper work for a job site, which isn't quite as easy as you think it is. being on the phone with telus, shaw, chevron, kinder morgan, jet fuel lines, hydro, all day etc. d) we're working to slow. we're actually usually working as fast as we can because we really dont want to have to do overtime if we dont need to.

attitudes change for the better when a fire hydrant gets hit by a car, water main breaks etc at 3am and their house is flooding, and a crew of workers wakes up in the middle of the night and rushes to that persons house to start repairing and fixing the street which can be a lengthy process. ive done 18 hour days a few times with 4-6 other guys just so 1 block could have water.

dont tip your garbage man with beer. your not the only one who tips them at christmas, trust me! they'll maybe keep a 24 pack. everything else other than that they'll either sell or return for the money. doing several hundred houses a day, with about 50 people tipping in 12-14 packs or wine........you've just made one guy rich today!
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote