REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #26
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
ne1 see anything? haven't spotted jack :/ not even my camera
Advertisement
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #27
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
In laying in bed not sure if it's worth it to go outside and check it out right now
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #28
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
left cypress viewpoint ~11:30

clouds are bumrushing the sky
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #29
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Think I saw one quick flash toward north shore mountains. Anyone know anticipated general direction of where the most action should be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 05-23-2014 at 11:45 PM.
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Nothing yet
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,148 Times in 262 Posts
Omg I'm seeing tons of shooting stars up in the south sky go outside and look now!!!
2 n r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I fucked my girlfriend and had a beer with the downstairs neighbor

How is it???
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #33
degenerate extraordinaire

nothing... been sitting outside on my balcony looking up into the sky
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #34

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Not sure if trolling... I was watching from 12:45-1:15 and saw nothing lol people on Twitter also report that it was a bust.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #35
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
we gave up and started drawing penis's in light with my bros camera on long exposure.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #36

Thanked 2,148 Times in 262 Posts
2 n r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #37
I am Hook'd on RS

-___- .....there is nothing..i stood outside my house with my robe on looking like an idiot probably...its too cloudy in van
PinkMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

So much pretty shit in the city I don't have time for that nature bitch to do her thing
Old 05-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkMuffin View Post
-___- .....there is nothing..i stood outside my house with my robe on looking like an idiot probably...its too cloudy in van

Hahaha I pictured so many people stoned in bathrobes on their back porches:

"Did you see any?"
"Nope"
-15 mins later-
"Doritos time?"
"Yes"
Old 05-24-2014, 01:45 AM   #40
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
SPRINGVILLE, Alabama—Did you see the much-anticipated meteor shower this morning?

Probably not. Apparently the meteors did not rain down on the atmosphere.

A new meteor shower, the Camelopardalids, was supposed to peak between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. with 100 to 400 meteors visible an hour. But astronomers warned that the shower might not materialize.

The Earth was expected to pass through the debris field left by a comet about 200 years ago. Experts were not sure if the debris would form into meteors that would burn up in the Earth's atmosphere.

Commenters on a NASA blog from the around the country reported that no meteor shower was seen.

In rural St. Clair County, five meteors were seen between midnight and 1:30 a.m. It is not unusual to see meteors most nights in this area where the sky is not obscured by city lights.

Three cameras were aimed in different directions and set to make continuous 20-second exposures. Only one bright meteor and two faint ones appeared in the pictures. A passing airliner or two was seen in the pictures. Thin cirrus clouds passed over the area.

The next major meteor shower is the Perseids that peak August 12. This event typically is the best meteor shower of the year.
What happened to the meteor shower? | AL.com

Quote:
Meteor Shower a No-Show, Leaves North Americans Disappointed
May 24, 2014 04:55 AM EDT | Ying Zhin

It was touted as the epic sky event to watch out for, but Saturday's anticipated meteor shower left thousands of North Americans dismayed for not showing up on its scheduled late primetime appearance.

Instead, skywatchers turned to the online universe to "watch" one another's tweets about the meteor shower. By 3:15 a.m. eastern, halfway into the supposed peak hours of the shower, Twitter was raining complaints and sarcastic jabs at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, or NASA.

"NASA is just like the cable company. Give us a 2-hour window and then leave us hanging," tweeted Michael Collins @GaSportsCraze.

"Can NASA just admit they miscalculated the #meteorshower so we can go to bed and see a neck masseuse?," tweeted Enrique Arana @SpinninDJE.

Others found humor in their own disappointment, and tweeter Sebastian A. offered some tips on how to spot the meteor shower:

"Spin around really fast for 1 minute; fall to the ground face up; see the #meteorshower," he tweeted.

NASA Marshall News had set up a live feed of the sky event on UStream, embedded it on Twitter, and let it remain live until sunrise but decided to wrap up its tweet session as early as 3:00 a.m.

Some, however, reported seeing one to six shooting stars, but not in the hundreds as scientists had projected.

NASA astronomers had announced that around 200 meteors per hour could appear in the pre-dawn sky over North America beginning at 10:30 p.m. Friday until 7:00 a.m Saturday, peaking from 2:00-4:00 a.m.

They said the meteor showers, called Camelopardalids, are dust trails from comet 209P-LINEAR which have accumulated for hundreds of years at a point in space where the Earth was passing through at this time. The comet only orbits the Earth every five years.

Scientists said tonight could be the first and last opportunity to see the "spectacular stream" because the comet that sheds off the dust trails could have its orbit altered by the gravitational pull of the largest planet, Jupiter.

NASA's own excitement about the May 2014 meteor shower rubbed off on thousands of North Americans who had looked forward to kicking off their Memorial Day weekend celebrations by going stargazing.

©2014 Chinatopix All rights reserved.
Meteor Shower a No-Show, Leaves North Americans Disappointed : Society : ChinaTopix.com
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

knowing that it was cloudy tonight, i didnt even bother to look up into the sky. they claim that its 100-400 meteors per hour but i believe thats BS. Perseid meteor shower in august is the only one worth the neck pain imo. Last year they claimed 80 meteors per hour but it was more like 20 per h, nevertheless the view was still spectacular because for 3 nights straight, it lasted until sunrise and also the fact that its reliable.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:04 AM   #42
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
My mother is a pretty serious hobby astronomer so around meteor shower seasons I never miss an opportunity to spend some family time out in the dark. We just got back from about 10 minutes out of Hope where I set us up in the darkest place I could think of with a full northern view. From 11:45 to 2:15 we only counted 18 meteors and 9 visible satellites overhead and unrelated to the shower on the way back saw a pretty decent sized deer on the side of the highway. The majority of the meteors were faint enough that I wouldn't be surprised if closer around the GVRD only 5 of those would have been visible with the higher light pollution. Out of the 18, really, only 2 were in any way impressive (and I mean that in relation to the other shitty 16, they were really nothing special - one very long streak and one short but brilliant quick-moving one). At the beginning of the night almost all the meteors we spotted were right in between Ursa Major and Cassiopeia as expected although as the night went on they seemed to radiate less from one spot and be more random mostly up above Draco. Overall a pretty disappointing night, obviously much more than baseline one or two meteors or so an hour that we'd normally get in a place that dark but paled in comparison both numerically and aesthetically to the Perseids or the Leonids.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #43
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ That's 18 more than I saw
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #44
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss6o4 View Post
^ That's 18 more than I saw
The trick to meteor showers as I see it is threefold:

A- Get the fuck out of the city. Like, as far as possible. With the mountains around Vancouver getting elevation is good, but distance helps dramatically as well. I've taken trips upcountry before for the Perseids and once spent a frigid couple of days in November in northern Ontario for the Leonids.

B- Set aside enough time to be able to devote an hour or more to watching the meteor shower, which brings me to C:

C- Wait. Wait more. During the supposed peak of the Perseids I've sat outside for 15 minutes and seen nothing before, only to all of a sudden see a dozen in the next 5. During the Lyrids I've spent what was probably 90 minutes out before seeing my first of the night, but holy shit was it a fireball worth waiting for.

Pretty much just set the time aside, get as far out into the dark as you can, avoiding foggy places or near the sea where you get more moisture in the air, and then just wait. Very few people I know are willing to put in the time (and with sometimes crazy expectations that don't pan out like tonight, I can't really blame them).
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #45
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Went outside at 12, noticed it was kinda cloudy so went back inside lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #46
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Went to Abbotsford's McDonald park at about 1:30 am and saw one meteor.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #47
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Went to Abbotsford's McDonald park at about 1:30 am and saw one meteor.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #48
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Saw two meteors in a 15 minute span, from East Van around midnight. Too tired to stick around and wait for more.
Pegacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #49
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Didn't see a meteor between 1-3 am at Queen Elizabeth park. Way too cloudy in vancouver
Alkrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #50
VLS Head Mod

It was super clear from trout lake at 1230 but saw nothing so gave up
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote