REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   manhunt in moncton Cops being shot (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695737-manhunt-moncton-cops-being-shot.html)

falcon 06-04-2014 10:46 PM

If that happened outside my house, and I saw cops getting shot and dropping I would grab my hunting rifle and put a few rounds through the guy. I know this is the internet and people talk tough, but I am serious... I would not hesitate.

BrRsn 06-04-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8482263)
If that happened outside my house, and I saw cops getting shot and dropping I would grab my hunting rifle and put a few rounds through the guy. I know this is the internet and people talk tough, but I am serious... I would not hesitate.

i was talking to another RS-er about this -- if I was in america and I had a clearshot and no one else was home at my house, sure. If I did the same thing in Canada, I'd probably be arrested ... then again in the heat of the moment its a split second decision and you can't weigh out your options like that

Yodamaster 06-04-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

And be on the hook for murder? You'd be lucky if you weren't shot by the police after pulling a stunt like that. It's easy to imagine being the hero that lives to fight another day, but what's right and what is legal are two seperate things, regardless of whether you stop him from killing more people or not.

The only way that would be legal is if he entered your residence and threatened you with one of his firearms, you are then allowed to use an equal amount of force to stop him, but you will still be investigated after the fact. You will probably have your firearms license taken away along with your firearms, you fail your PAL if you show that you intend to use firearms for self defense.

I wish it weren't so, but it is.

Mr.Money 06-04-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

& have a GoPro Hero on the tip of your barrel :devil: Upload it up proof your innocent you were trying to save an officer.....Just joking.

rsx 06-04-2014 11:06 PM

Officers receiving fire from two separate locations, they'll start shooting back. Unless, you're on with the dispatch and they patch you through to the cops on the ground and they tell you to "take the shot" it's extremely dangerous to just take pot shots at an armed gunman without letting the authorities know who you are.

hchang 06-04-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Unless your rifle is stored incorrectly by the time you put the pieces together the gunman would be long gone

CRS 06-04-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 8482285)
Unless your rifle is stored incorrectly by the time you put the pieces together the gunman would be long gone

People say this but I'm not that certain.

You have a(n unrestricted) rifle that is in a case (optional) and has a trigger lock. If it's a combination lock, both these steps takes less than 15 seconds to uncase and take the lock off. Then you have your ammunition that is stored separately and that takes another 15 seconds to retrieve provided it isn't locked up.

All you need to do is load and you're ready to go. Albeit you may not be in the room and so you would need to get there and get ready but realistically, I doubt that it would take that much time for you to get ready should you actually want to. It easily takes less than 5 mins from start to finish.

ruthless 06-05-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8482292)
People say this but I'm not that certain.

You have a(n unrestricted) rifle that is in a case (optional) and has a trigger lock. If it's a combination lock, both these steps takes less than 15 seconds to uncase and take the lock off. Then you have your ammunition that is stored separately and that takes another 15 seconds to retrieve provided it isn't locked up.

All you need to do is load and you're ready to go. Albeit you may not be in the room and so you would need to get there and get ready but realistically, I doubt that it would take that much time for you to get ready should you actually want to. It easily takes less than 5 mins from start to finish.

+1

You can have a restricted firearm(semi-auto pistol, AR-15, etc.) inside a safe without a trigger lock on it. You can also have loaded magazines in the same safe but they cannot be in the gun.

Therefore all you do is punch in the combo(digital keypad) on the safe, grab gun and magazines and you're ready to go.

With all that said it would be pretty dumb for you to try and take out a "perpetrator". The legal ramifications alone would be overwhelming for many.

start @ 2:28

Harvey Specter 06-05-2014 03:31 AM

What we know

7:20 PM calls made to the RCMP concerning a male with guns in the woods in the Hildegarde area.
24-year-old Justin Bourque, of Moncton (pic)
Suspect's Facebook Page
Three RCMP officers killed, two wounded
As of 11:40pm (local) It's believed the shooter is now in the Pinehurst subdivision area of Moncton. Residents are being told to stay indoors.
RCMP and police services responding from Fredericton, Saint John, Shediac, Nova Scotia, etc. Military also rumored to be responding.
Moncton Hospital under "Code Orange" Lockdown
Many parts of the city under various states of lockdown- Traffic limited or stopped in most of the north end.
CTV is reporting at least one civilian injured

[OFFICIAL] Moncton Shooting Thread : moncton

DragonChi 06-05-2014 04:24 AM

So.. this guy is on the loose still..

rsx 06-05-2014 06:39 AM

Damn, thought they'd find this lunatic by now.

PeanutButter 06-05-2014 07:19 AM

This is such terrible news. I got chills watching the video.

The police were clearly outgunned. 9mm's vs AR's at distance.

Does anyone have info on how the officers were shot? Were they ambushed or were they trying to negotiate with the gunman?

In regards to helping out the cops with your personal rifle, I wonder what the situation would be if you phoned 911 telling them you had a clear shot at the gunman. I wonder if they would patch you through to the commanding officer on the ground and if they would let you take the shot.

My heart is just broken for the families of the fallen officers.

murd0c 06-05-2014 07:50 AM

in a situation like that the police would not be allowed to say take the shot.. You take it anyways and you know you wouldn't get charged and would be considered a hero.

The main issue is being able to handle killing another human, most people wouldn't be able to handle that which is it really worth it in the long run?

PeanutButter 06-05-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8482357)
in a situation like that the police would not be allowed to say take the shot.. You take it anyways and you know you wouldn't get charged and would be considered a hero.

The main issue is being able to handle killing another human, most people wouldn't be able to handle that which is it really worth it in the long run?

Yeah, I guess you're right. They can't just let civilians start opening fire as they don't know what time of training or skill they have. The cops themselves could put themselves in danger.

I never thought about the aftermath of killing someone, good point. =

Yodamaster 06-05-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8482346)
The police were clearly outgunned. 9mm's vs AR's at distance.

No AR, he might have been lucky with the first three officers, but now he's up against an arsenal he can't possibly hope to fight.

rageguy 06-05-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8482366)
No AR, he might have been lucky with the first three officers, but now he's up against an arsenal he can't possibly hope to fight.

And so right now he should be in hiding mode, probably in some friend's house. After this dies down in a few weeks he will just leave the town. I don't think RCMP is doing house searches yet.

DragonChi 06-05-2014 09:09 AM

The guy probably didn't give them any warning at all. Just pointed and shot. They were fighting a lunatic, they probably didn't see it coming at all.

vitaminG 06-05-2014 10:04 AM

Looks like they might have found him

Police surround building in hunt for Moncton shooter: reports - The Globe and Mail

PeanutButter 06-05-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8482379)
The guy probably didn't give them any warning at all. Just pointed and shot. They were fighting a lunatic, they probably didn't see it coming at all.

If you watch the first video, you can hear the guy in the house saying something like, he's going to shoot them (cops). Which makes it seem like there was some sort of confrontation.

DragonChi 06-05-2014 11:30 AM

Seconds before they got shot....

Imagine if he had a 30 clip mag.

G 06-05-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8482391)

Nothing found in that building or home.

He is still out there.

falcon 06-05-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 8482267)
i was talking to another RS-er about this -- if I was in america and I had a clearshot and no one else was home at my house, sure. If I did the same thing in Canada, I'd probably be arrested ... then again in the heat of the moment its a split second decision and you can't weigh out your options like that

I would be OK dealing with the consequences. Given the circumstances, I doubt anything would happen. There would likely be charges and a trial but no conviction. I have too many RCMP friends and ex police officer friends to just stand there and watch something like that happen.

DragonChi 06-05-2014 11:36 AM

RS fund to send falcon to moncton to hunt this guy down.

"That’s when an unmarked police car rolled up and a plainclothes police officer stepped out. He was wearing a flak vest. Ms. Bernatchez said he kept turning around because he didn’t know the direction of the shooter. That’s when family members noticed a shadow growing larger between two houses next door.

“We knew it was the shooter right away,” she said. “We banged on the windows to let the officer know. We yelled ‘turn around.’ Then there was a shot. The officer went down. He got shot in the neck.”

Despite his mortal wound, the officer managed to squeeze off two shots from his handgun as he fell to the ground, according to Ms. Bernatchez.

“He was still trying to get that shooter, but as soon as he hit the ground, he stopped moving.”"

from Police surround building in hunt for Moncton shooter: reports - The Globe and Mail

Neighbors didn't even know who it was at first. In real life, these kinds of things are a shit show. It's not like CS where enemies are clearly identified. If you shoot. what's stopping the police from thinking your the gunman and getting yourself shot.

falcon 06-05-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 8482285)

I can take my bolt out of the safe, put it in my gun and load the magazine in less than 30 seconds.

Also, I would only consider this if all the cops were shot and lying there bleeding out. If they were there still active, taking shots or trying to talk the gunman down I wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. I'm strictly talking if they were shot, bleeding out... and no other cops in the vicinity and the gunman was advancing to say "finish the job" or whatever.

Yodamaster 06-05-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8482414)
a 30 clip mag.

Say wot m8?

http://i.imgur.com/p7pXMXX.jpg?1