REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Traffic Officers: if there was a piece of advice you have for drivers, it would be.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695785-traffic-officers-if-there-piece-advice-you-have-drivers-would.html)

REVscene.net 06-06-2014 12:04 AM

Traffic Officers: if there was a piece of advice you have for drivers, it would be..

Ok here's the chance for police officers, former police officers or people who work closely with police officers to speak first!

http://images.glaciermedia.ca/polopo...446123-jpg.jpg

Of all your years of experience and dealing with the public

If there was a single most important piece of advice that you would have for drivers, it would be...

zulutango 06-06-2014 03:23 AM

Traffic Court is never held on the shoulder of the road and, surprising to some, yelling & cursing at me is no way to get me to tear up the ticket.

v_tec 06-06-2014 05:14 AM

One word: Bus.

Spidey 06-06-2014 08:52 PM

ignorance is not an excuse. even though the majority of "ignorance" is really just a lie. If I just told you why I pulled you over, it is because I saw you do it, not because I thought you did it.

SpeedStars 06-06-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8482778)
Traffic Court is never held on the shoulder of the road and, surprising to some, yelling & cursing at me is no way to get me to tear up the ticket.

Does an officer ever actually tear up a ticket?:concentrate:

320icar 06-06-2014 10:01 PM

be polite, respectful, and truthful. 90% of the time it can get you out of a V.I

if you have a "fuck the pigs" mentality, then they will give you reason to HAVE that mentality. simple as that. wanna be thugs; grow up.

zulutango 06-07-2014 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8483151)

In rare circumstances I have...and I have also changed a VT to a written warning instead. I have also added extra charges to the original one...and no, I'm not going to discuss private particulars on this forum.. There are 3 spaces on each VT you know.

Tone Loc 06-07-2014 09:37 PM

There's a very distinct difference between "following the existing flow of traffic" and outright "speeding". IMO, if one can learn to distinguish between the two, and exercise good judgment when necessary, there's no reason for you to ever receive a speeding ticket.

^ Just my opinion, shared by most of my family and friends. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Spidey 06-07-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 (Post 8483587)
There's a very distinct difference between "following the existing flow of traffic" and outright "speeding". IMO, if one can learn to distinguish between the two, and exercise good judgment when necessary, there's no reason for you to ever receive a speeding ticket.

^ Just my opinion, shared by most of my family and friends. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I am sure a lot of people can say they received a ticket for going with the flow (which was well above the limit). It's easy to pick out the one swerving in and out of lanes and ahead of the flow, but if there is a traffic op with lasers set up, be prepared to be pulled over along with the pack.

hchang 06-07-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8483268)
In rare circumstances I have...and I have also changed a VT to a written warning instead. I have also added extra charges to the original one...and no, I'm not going to discuss private particulars on this forum.. There are 3 spaces on each VT you know.

I got pulled over for obstruction of plate once, but the lady cop told me that since she radio'd it in already she has to give me a ticket (no N sign, no points).

Is that the truth? Or was she just saying that

ancient_510 06-07-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REVscene.net (Post 8482716)

Sorry to flip this thread back to asking our resident police officers questions, but any idea why that member isn't in compliance with Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 12.13 (a) ?

ruthless 06-07-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ancient_510 (Post 8483650)
Sorry to flip this thread back to asking our resident police officers questions, but any idea why that member isn't in compliance with Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 12.13 (a) ?

For those wondering:
Quote:

12.3 All protection equipment provided by the employer shall

(a) be maintained, inspected and tested by a qualified person; and

(b) where necessary to prevent a health hazard, be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition by a qualified person.
Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations

Is he supposed to wear a safety vest...?

zulutango 06-08-2014 04:28 AM

I'm thinkin that...if the drivers behind can't see the marked Police Car with flashing red & blue lights & flashback white strobes blocking their way, then a safety vest worn while standing in front of the Police car is not going to make much difference?

Spidey 06-08-2014 10:13 AM

So much for this thread being for advice...... if you guys have questions... make a new topic.

Spidey 06-08-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 8483661)
For those wondering:

Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations

Is he supposed to wear a safety vest...?

that has nothing to do with wearing a vest... all that section states is that all equipment that is issued must be in safe and properly functioning. I don't see anything wrong with that picture. Looks like another CiC in the making.

ancient_510 06-08-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8483749)
that has nothing to do with wearing a vest... all that section states is that all equipment that is issued must be in safe and properly functioning. I don't see anything wrong with that picture. Looks like another CiC in the making.

Ruthless linked to 12.3. I said 12.13.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8483748)
So much for this thread being for advice...... if you guys have questions... make a new topic.

okay :okay:

Spidey 06-08-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ancient_510 (Post 8483754)
Ruthless linked to 12.3. I said 12.13.

okay :okay:

12.13 Where an employee is regularly exposed to contact with moving vehicles during his work, he shall
(a) wear a high-visibility vest or other similar clothing, or
(b) be protected by a barricade

that is readily visible under all conditions of use.

Do you see how his PC is positioned? Looks like how they teach you in the Academy, to the tee.

ancient_510 06-08-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8483762)
12.13 Where an employee is regularly exposed to contact with moving vehicles during his work, he shall
(a) wear a high-visibility vest or other similar clothing, or
(b) be protected by a barricade

that is readily visible under all conditions of use.

Do you see how his PC is positioned? Looks like how they teach you in the Academy, to the tee.

PS. I made a thread.

Spidey 06-08-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ancient_510 (Post 8483767)
PS. I made a thread.

PS. You don't need it anymore.

ancient_510 06-08-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8483771)
PS. You don't need it anymore.

PPS. The BC version of the law doesn't let a person substitute a barricade for clothing; only the federal one does.
Question stands for VPD, NWPD, W.Van PD, Delta PD....

Can we move this chat to the other thread?

finbar 06-08-2014 05:12 PM

Advice?
The customer is always wrong.

Jmac 06-08-2014 05:50 PM

Appreciate the advice guys, keep it coming please.

Unit91 06-09-2014 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REVscene.net (Post 8482716)

If there was a single most important piece of advice that you would have for drivers, it would be...

Stay off the phone. Single most lethal activity you can engage in while driving, now outstripping impaired driving as the cause of death on roadways.

Relating to public interaction with police

Know where your documents and license are; there is no "24 hours to produce" law. As a driver, you have the obligation to produce it upon request. I am not the one required to prove you are licensed, registered and insured. It may be done out of courtesy if you have shown the same respect back, but there are many reasons why this isn't always available, so don't expect it. ProTip: complaining about the time it took me to check on the documents you didn't have, isn't a good tactic to avoid a "Fail to Produce" violation.

zulutango 06-09-2014 10:55 AM

And if you are an out of Province driver (eg Albertan DL) and you fail to produce, you are in line to get a "no DL" ticket, not just a "fail to produce".

(1.2) A person claiming an exemption under subsection (1.1) ( not having a BC DL) must carry a valid and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit on his or her person while operating a motor vehicle referred to in subsection (1) and must produce that driver's or operator's licence or permit to a peace officer on demand.

wing_woo 06-09-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8483151)

He did for me. He wrote me a ticket for not having my insurance papers and a warning for speeding. I was polite to him and did everything asked of me.

While he was writing up the tickets, I found my insurance papers (I hide them in case I get broken into, but hid them so well, I couldn't find them).

When officer came back, I showed him the papers. He asked where I found them and I explained to him. He then took my papers and went back to his cruiser. When he came back, he told me that he wrote me a failure to produce insurance ticket but he'll tear that up since I found the papers and then handed me the written warning for speeding.

Really nice guy. Another officer I dealt with was very nice as well. He was very apologetic to me when he realized he was wrong.