REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
I don't get it

Travelling to States help

Driving down to Seattle for work, training to become a chef under my uncle's restaurant, cash paid, for couple months.

Maybe driving down to California / San Fransisco as well for vacation down the road.

How long can I legally stay in the states with a Canadian passport?

How do I keep cash money I generate safe without leaving it at home stay place?

Should I unlock my phone and possibly register for a sim in US or switch to a US plan with Fido? Need data on the go.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

-6 months

-consider applying for a work visa instead if you plan to stay long

-plans are cheaper in the states so look into one down there.

-buy a safe box, mail money home, convert to large bills and keep the money on you.

-if you are going down to the states for 6 months, prepare to be interrogated by CBP on your way down and CBSA on your way back. They do not mess around when it comes to illegal foreign workers. because i travel to the states constantly, that is not something i would ever risk. but to each their own...

-try searching next time

Last edited by jbsali; 06-06-2014 at 01:40 AM.
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
-6 months

-consider applying for a work visa instead if you plan to stay long

-plans are cheaper in the states so look into one down there.

-buy a safe box, mail money home, convert to large bills and keep the money on you.

-if you are going down to the states for 6 months, prepare to be interrogated by CBP on your way down and CBSA on your way back. They do not mess around when it comes to illegal foreign workers. because i travel to the states constantly, that is not something i would ever risk. but to each their own...

-try searching next time
6 months and how long do I need to stay in Canada until I can do the 6 months again?

Don't feel safe mailing money ( what if it gets lost? )

Safe box would be good but I would have to take the money back to Canada, whats the max to bring back or bring in ?
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
10K and over you have to declare

Thats all I know, also I believe its not how long you have to stay in Canada once you come back, its more emphasis on you leaving the US.
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
Driving down to Seattle for work, training to become a chef under my uncle's restaurant, cash paid, for couple months.

Maybe driving down to California / San Fransisco as well for vacation down the road.

How long can I legally stay in the states with a Canadian passport?

How do I keep cash money I generate safe without leaving it at home stay place?

Should I unlock my phone and possibly register for a sim in US or switch to a US plan with Fido? Need data on the go.

Thanks.

6 months and how long do I need to stay in Canada until I can do the 6 months again?

Don't feel safe mailing money ( what if it gets lost? )

Safe box would be good but I would have to take the money back to Canada, whats the max to bring back or bring in ?
-Why not go and open up a US bank account and deposit your money? Or if you have HSBC Premier open up the US account and transfer money back to your CDN account
-Unlock your phone and go down to open a Pay as you go plan with Tmobile, $3 a day with data plan.
-you can legally stay in US for 6months
Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

look up other plans. I paid $40 a month for unlimited calls and texts within usa and unlimited (but slow) data. sign up for a bank account in blaine. I recommend banner bank and they gave me a credit card too. Both no fees. if I were you I wouldn't mention anything about work and I wouldn't bring any work related items with you when crossing the border. clear emails, texts, chats about it on phone and laptop. technically you can step a day into canada and drive back into usa but like others said if you do it too often then you will be on CBP's radar.
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Don't even tell your co-workers that you're Canadian. One angry co-worker who makes a phone call is all it takes for you to be deported and your uncle severely fined for hiring an illegal and also evading taxes.

If you tell the US border guards that you are travelling for 1+months they are going to ask a lot of questions. Don't mention having a us bank account or renting a place.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Holy fuck.

You better be glad you asked because if you go to the border to tell them what you just posted, your ass will be sore for the rest of your life.

Never, EVER tell them you are going to the US for work without a proper work visa! Again, I repeat - DO NOT EVER tell them you're going there for work until you get a proper work visa! Don't even think about doing it.

You either get caught at the border, or someone down there rats you out. You and your uncle will pay dearly when they feed you their wrath. This isn't a joke, by the way.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
^+1 to what dukes said

You will not be able to work(legally) in the US without a valid work visa. This isn't something simple to get either.
Also its in your best interests to not lie to them at the border. They can and usually will bust you. I suggest doing things the proper way, then you and your uncle have nothing to worry about.

Also if you are going to be going down, I suggest you strongly consider a medical/health insurance plan that will cover you. If something were to happen, you will pay for it big time.

You can stay in the U.S. as a VISITOR for 6 months. This is what the snowbirds who go to Florida do. Then leave(come back home) and the 6 months as a VISITOR start again.

As for the phone, WIND has unlimited data/calling in the U.S. it might be cheaper for you to buy a wind phone/plan, potentially?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

FYI your uncle will never be able to sponsor you for a work visa for a chef job so illegal work is your only option. Just be aware of the (high) risk and the right things to say to border guards and others.

Food for thought, if you get caught the only bad thing for you is maybe a couple nights in jail while they deport you, and banned from the USA for a period of time after but your uncle will probably face extreme financial penalties or revoke his business license, both which could sink his business. I heard since Seattle approved a $15 minimum wage they are clamping down on businesses (restaurants, construction) which have the highest chance of employing illegals.

Oh and don't bring a ton of luggage cause that's red flag #1.

Best of luck!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post

Also if you are going to be going down, I suggest you strongly consider a medical/health insurance plan that will cover you. If something were to happen, you will pay for it big time.
Better to tell the medical/health insurance plan your going down for work, otherwise if things were to happen, and they start digging around and if you lied saying your going on vacation, you might not be covered either. (Insurance company always try to find loop holes to not pay.)