REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
List your experiences with el cheapo coilovers

What is the generally acceptable price point for where cheap coilovers become halfway decent quality for a weekend car?

$500?
Advertisement
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Depends on the end user's definition of "halfway decent quality".

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Should cost more than the total of the drugs, alcohol and hookers the OP claims to spend per day.

$500/corner is about right.

Cheap coilovers mean you need to replace the set more often, so you pay more in labour and rebuild costs.. and have more chances "embarrassing" episodes while showing off, but I am sure OP is used to that.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
ive had raceland coilovers on my miata. cheap as fuck and performed fantastic. rode smooth and not too stiff. didn't really bottom out. for the price? 9/10

for your e36, theres a few guys on bcbimmers who run the raceland ultimo coilovers on their drift cars on the island. they kept saying "dont knock them until you try them". ive had other raceland products like the header for my miata and build quality far exceeded what i expected for a $150 header.

BMW E36 Coilovers By Raceland

you dont track your car, i assume you just wanna go low. so these are all you need.

**disclaimer** im not saying this is a great product to go auto crossing or to mission raceway with. im just stating that if all someone wants to do is slam the car and go low, these are the perfect set to do it with. why spend $1500 on some tien monoflex if youre just gonna spin them all the way down**
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
oh god don't get race lands....

your better off cutting your stock springs.

semisrs
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 03:41 AM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I'd say 700-800 for decent entry level ones. Bought a set of neuspeed coilovers at around 700 brand new from garage five as my first set of coilovers and they're pretty good. It's sold as neuspeed but I think the coilovers are made by bilstein and springs by neuspeed. No dampening but there isn't much bounce. Only thing I can think of as a downside to this set is that it can only lower a little bit over 2 inches.
ButterFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
For those who are bashing raceland coils, I've talked to a few and their experiences has been good. I know online there's people saying they suck and break and what not. Here's the thing there's people online saying the same thing about other coilovers as well. Before I got my setup (Tein ss) I read online that people have rust issues, 4 years later even thru salty winters the coils were fine.

TL;DR: don't trust everything you see on the interwebs.

tho that being said I still won't go for raceland on my car ;P, Looking at BC Racing
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
Depends on who you talked to then. Cause the worse miata I have driven was one with racelands. But I gotta agree with is that if you just want to go slammed, can't beat the price.
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I'm going on 5 years with my KW coilovers. Stainless, with high quality hardware makes for all weather reliability. Cost is close to $500/ corner, but they perform admirably on the road or track. In fact, I'll probably get another 5 trouble free years out of them. Cheap coil overs will rust, seize, and end up pissing you off in the long run.

Go for quality when it comes to your suspension. Don't mod with cheap pasts, la.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
If you want to simply go low, you don't necessarily need coilovers. My old Koni Yellow/Eibach Sportline setup dropped the car lower than any available coilover kit at the time. They were also semi-adjustable, so when you wanted to raise the car, you just had to pop the set off and adjust the perch to a different level. The kit was definitely more expensive than cheap coilovers, but I thought it was a great compromise between price, adjustability and quality.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGang View Post
oh god don't get race lands....

your better off cutting your stock springs.

semisrs
why?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #12

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Honestly, if your just looking at getting a spring, with an adjustable spring perch(Ala Ground Control), get anything you want. Grease the shit out of it and call it a day. Your not racing, your money is spent on good struts. If it breaks, buy a new one. I doubt it will. This is coming from a guy with a Bilstein PSS system. Within a year i've also blown out both rear struts. So even the good brands have bad stories to go with the good ones.

If your talking about a full adjustable coil over system I might be tempted to spend a little more money. They have a little more going on, then a spring and some threaded sleeves.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 06-08-2014 at 10:55 AM.
hud 91gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
why?
I just had the worst experience with them, they sag, make clunking noises, make squeaky noises, seize....The ones that were made for the RSX (my car) were welded improperly so in order for them to be installed properly you needed to get extended tie rod ends and then cut them which is fine w.e tie rod ends are like 50 bucks but i really wish they would tell you before you bought them. The funny thing is you only needed to do it on one side. The other side was fine.

They claim to have warranty for 3 years but don't worry the coil overs life span is like 6 months.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Raceland is not as bad as people think! They're soft so don't expect to run aggressive wheel fitment on it. But at the right height, they feel great! I autocrossed on my Miata and kept up with the others.

Oh and keep them lubricated, they'll hold up just fine haha
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
i wud jus cut the oem spring
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #16

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
shhh boatcaptain, you're not allowed to talk with us raceland running miata guys :P

and swft, i ran some really aggressive wheels on my miata (not counting flares) i had 15x10.5 -19 in the rear and 15x9.5 -6 if i rememer correctly out front
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
shhh boatcaptain, you're not allowed to talk with us raceland running miata guys :P

and swft, i ran some really aggressive wheels on my miata (not counting flares) i had 15x10.5 -19 in the rear and 15x9.5 -6 if i rememer correctly out front
I remember that! I had some 195/50 on my 15x8+0 and it rubbed so hard. I guess I got greedy trying to tuck tire. But I reckon it'll handle great when raised to optimal height. Stance sucksssss
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #18
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
I was running the same wheel/tire specs as above, and had no issues with rubbing. Wasn't as low as you guys were though, but still managed to polish the frame rails over every speed bump...

On the topic of Racelands however, sure, they're better than blown shocks and saggy springs but they ride far too soft however and I found that I'd constantly hit the bump stomps on my old car. If all you want is low and don't care about ride quality, then by all means, Raceland/Rokkor is the way to go. The previous owner of my old car bought them for something like $150 used so definitely can't go wrong for the price. The key to a good car IMO is balance, and you sure can't get that with shitty suspension...
Old 06-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
I was running the same wheel/tire specs as above, and had no issues with rubbing. Wasn't as low as you guys were though, but still managed to polish the frame rails over every speed bump...

On the topic of Racelands however, sure, they're better than blown shocks and saggy springs but they ride far too soft however and I found that I'd constantly hit the bump stomps on my old car. If all you want is low and don't care about ride quality, then by all means, Raceland/Rokkor is the way to go. The previous owner of my old car bought them for something like $150 used so definitely can't go wrong for the price. The key to a good car IMO is balance, and you sure can't get that with shitty suspension...

I need to identify the springs on my car currently then find some decent shocks to pair them with and get'em installed. The car needs to get the suspension + brakes 100% sorted out before I add any power for sure!

Right now it is so out of balance with the 5.0 power and blown shocks on lowering springs, drives like a noodle shot out of a cannon
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGang View Post
I just had the worst experience with them, they sag, make clunking noises, make squeaky noises, seize....The ones that were made for the RSX (my car) were welded improperly so in order for them to be installed properly you needed to get extended tie rod ends and then cut them which is fine w.e tie rod ends are like 50 bucks but i really wish they would tell you before you bought them. The funny thing is you only needed to do it on one side. The other side was fine.

They claim to have warranty for 3 years but don't worry the coil overs life span is like 6 months.
hmm...ok maybe this is why it didn't fit your RSX

Raceland Coilovers - Club RSX Message Board
"First of all these are made for an ep3 and if you dont know, you need to do some extra steps to fit them on the car. "
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #21
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Kodamu View Post
Depends on who you talked to then. Cause the worse miata I have driven was one with racelands. But I gotta agree with is that if you just want to go slammed, can't beat the price.
I guess you have to consider correlation/causation, so many variables on how an old car can feel from worn bushings to bad tie rod ends to simply having a shitty alignment or crappy tires. Would not be surprised that someone with $350 coils would overlook some essential part of maintenance/not bother spending the money
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
I don't get it

i used to have bc coilovers on my past car. out of all the "cheap brands" out there (d2, ksport, megans), i asked richard from garage five which was the best around the $800-1000 and he said bc coilovers. but he strongly recommended teins after they fixed the past rust issues and did not recommend megans.

bc coilovers have great adjustability like camber, dampers, and fully rebuildable.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #23
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

+1 on BC racing. I've been running them on my RSX for almost a year now and so far, its been good to me
Posted via RS Mobile
E.D.C.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,174 Times in 184 Posts
my suspension will be for sale in a bit if you can wait I'll PM you
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Besides what has already been mentioned I find that the "cheaper" coilovers can suffer from improper damper valving relative to the spring rate. They can be bouncy as the damper isn't doing it's job properly and the spring takes on the brunt of the work. Just my $0.02.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote