REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #201
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Umberger and Hartnell are pretty equivalent but Umberger is cheaper and has a shorter contract ... Plus CBJ gave up a pick to boot ...
I guess, but i'd still pick Hartnell over Umberger on my team any day.

I'd be ok with a Shinkaruk + 6th + roster player for the 1st.
For all we know Shinkaruk could turn out to be another Schroeder.

The draft day is turning out to be a pretty exciting day.
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #202
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts

Anyone catch the slip at 1:20?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #203
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
What slip? He said "Trevor & Jim".
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #204
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #205
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Dave Pratt
‏@DavePratt1040 Note to the Pinheads! Multiple sources saying Vancouver/Florida talking trade about 1st pick overall NHL Entry Draft...Stay tuned!!!

take it for what it's worth.. he said deal could involve Shinkaruk + 6th pick + a roster player

then again.. he also said that canucks got Mike Johnston as the new head coach lol...
Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #206
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
id make that deal in a heartbeat.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #207
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
He sounds pretty damn encouraging. Compare this to Torts interview last year...I still remember Torts saying clean slate, he knows his problems and that this team needs to get younger because the core is too stale?

Willie on the other hand defends the Sedins, they are elite players, reporter ask again, they are still elite.

Lots to back up this season.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #208
In RS I Trust

He seems like he has a great demeanor and a friendly kind of guy. I was very impressed with his answer's and sounds really excited to be here which is a bonus as well.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #209
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
He sounds pretty damn encouraging. Compare this to Torts interview last year...I still remember Torts saying clean slate, he knows his problems and that this team needs to get younger because the core is too stale?

Willie on the other hand defends the Sedins, they are elite players, reporter ask again, they are still elite.

Lots to back up this season.
they can still be ppg players.
the hope is that if the new coach does bring in a up tempo attack game, then i think it would hide some of the size/grit deficiencies of the twins

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #210
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Torts: I know nothing about this conference, the travel, or the players, I just wanted this job so I accepted it aka I didn't do my homework despite being in the league for many years

Willie: I had options and chose the right one. I also happen to have a Masters on Social Work and a teaching degree. Good to know he can work with young players

Day 1 so far so good, 4 days till the draft

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #211
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Hammer and the rest of Team Canada @ Joe Fortes

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #212
In RS I Trust

did they close the whole restaurant down for them?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #213
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 1h
Brayden Schenn's new two year deal with PHI pays him $2.25M and $2.75M for an AAV of $2.5M.

Schenn gonna move up and play with Grioux and Jakub, Couturier probably gonna be the 2C

Quote:
MATURE, RELIABLE EKBLAD NOT EASY TO PASS OVER IN NHL DRAFT

Aaron Ekblad may be the most mature 18-year-old hockey player on the planet.

"Not only does he have a 30-year-old's physique under his equipment but he also thinks and acts like a 10-year NHL vet," said Dan Stewart, scouting director for the independent scouting service Future Considerations.

Ekblad, a two-way, right-shooting defenceman, knows what he wants to be not only in this week's NHL draft but as a professional. He'd love to go No. 1 and continue to mould himself in the images of Shea Weber, Alex Pietrangelo and Duncan Keith.

More than anything, though, the Barrie Colts captain wants to be considered reliable on and off the ice.

"I don't do too many things that are going to surprise anyone," Ekblad said at last month's scouting combine. "I'm going to be the kind of player that you know what you're going to get from me."

Steady and dependable doesn't put butts in seats, but Ekblad isn't touting himself as a flashy kind of player. Instead, and more importantly, he has the potential to develop into a franchise cornerstone.

Because of that, the Belle River, Ont., native is the front-runner to be the top pick Friday night in Philadelphia, whether the Florida Panthers choose to keep it or trade it. Buffalo Sabres general manager Tim Murray said last week he expected Ekblad to go No. 1 regardless.

If that happens, Ekblad would be the first defenceman to be selected with the top pick since Erik Johnson in 2006, and the first Canadian-born blue-liner in that spot since Chris Phillips in 1996.

Ekblad knows it has been a "long time" since a defenceman was drafted first. But it would come as no shock to NHL Central Scouting director Dan Marr.

"Aaron Ekblad is a hard player to go past in the draft, I think, for any of the teams, and they know that," Marr said at the combine. "There doesn't seem to be a will to take a defenceman high because a lot of times you don't get the quick bang for your buck."

Ekblad wants to provide that, just as 2013 No. 4 pick Seth Jones did for the Nashville Predators. "A hundred per cent" he wants to be in the NHL next season, and he told that to all 16 teams that interviewed him.

"That's the way I believe in myself," Ekblad said. "I wouldn't say I'm cocky, but I'm confident and I believe that if I work hard and I do all the little things and pay attention to details, I can be in that league next year."

With that confidence in mind, Ekblad still watched games this past season and recognized the NHL is a hard league to crack and that getting drafted is just a foot in the door.

"It means nothing until you prove that you're ready to do it," he said.

Scouts believe Ekblad is prepared to prove it. In the six-foot-three, 213-pound prospect, Ross MacLean of ISS Hockey, another independent scouting service, sees someone with skills to insulate himself from making mistakes and the maturity to be able to adjust to the next level.

"He's a kid that I think probably could've played in the NHL this year, let alone next year," MacLean said. "I think we saw that with Seth Jones, as well, last year. They've just been put into positions where they've been able to acclimatize and get comfortable and confident and develop their skills at the appropriate pace, and they're ready for the next step."

Typically, there's a learning curve for even the best young defencemen before they can become NHL regulars, let alone stars. But a handful from the top 10 of the 2012 draft, including the Toronto Maple Leafs' Morgan Rielly, Anaheim Ducks' Hampus Lindholm and Columbus Blue Jackets' Ryan Murray, played the full 2013-14 season and showed it may not be as steep as it once was.

During the season, then-Predators and now Washington Capitals coach Barry Trotz theorized that it's because junior hockey has more pro systems designed to help defencemen adapt quicker.

Stewart thinks Ekblad can adjust on the fly because of his awareness. After being given the captaincy in Barrie, Ekblad "was trying to do everything," Stewart said, before recognizing his weaknesses and dialling back to what he's good at.

"He has shown time and time again that he learns from mistakes," Stewart said. "Ekblad is always thinking and while he does make some mistakes from time to time, he also shows an ability to compensate for any situational deficiencies. Because of his slower feet, while defending speedy forwards attacking the zone, he gives himself a little larger gap than say if he were going up against someone he feels he can easily wedge off the puck.

"It's his advanced thinking on the fly and understanding of his position that should benefit him quickly at the next level."

Physically, Ekblad is undoubtedly NHL-ready. After earning exceptional status to play in the OHL at the age of 15, he has gone through three junior seasons in Barrie and held his own at the world junior championship.

Stewart was impressed with how Ekblad handled pressure situations and defensive responsibilities while playing for Canada at the world juniors.

In Barrie, Colts teammate, roommate and best friend Brendan Lemieux — a projected first- or second-round pick in his own right and the son of former NHL agitator Claude Lemieux — saw Ekblad show even more.

"Ek really showed that he was willing to stand up and answer the bell, even with his gloves off. I watched him pound a few guys this year," Lemieux said at the combine. "He might not show that physical presence and how big he is and how tough he can be, but he's a tough guy, too. He's not just a super-skilled big guy, he's a super-skilled big, tough guy."

Ekblad is certainly better known for his 23 goals and 30 assists than his three fights, and it was that offence balanced with defensive acumen that earned him OHL defenceman of the year honours.

It's hard to be upset about that kind of season, but Ekblad insisted he's not satisfied with what he showed scouts.

"That's kind of the way everyone here should be thinking: I believe I can always be better," he said. "You look back on some games, some shifts and (think), 'What if you did this instead of that?' I wouldn't say I have any regrets, per se. I think I had a pretty good year. But there's always things you could've done."
Mature, reliable Ekblad not easy to pass over in NHL Draft

Ekbald pls

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 06-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #214
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I'll wait before I make any opinions.
Last summer. There were a bunch of peopel excited about Torts as well.

Torts defended the Sedins too.
Every coach is going to say positive things upon being hired.

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 06-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #215
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Forgot who said this on 1040, but he makes a good point

a coach in the jr/minor league ranks is all about the teachings of the game, the fact that willie has a degree in education can be valuable for the future.

A head coach in the NHL is more about management, where results have a much bigger impact on the position.

So maybe the canucks are in real rebuild mode? haha

Willie...hah
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #216
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
The pieces are falling in place for this team. President. GM, and now coach.

It's time for this franchise to make some noise at the draft!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #217
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
So for those looking for icepacks all the way to full season tickets

Canucks Season Ticket Membership

enjoy
Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #218

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
So for those looking for icepacks all the way to full season tickets

Canucks Season Ticket Membership

enjoy
No blue line fee required?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #219
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings list, based on polling NHL scouts

2014 Final TSN Draft Ranking: 1-15

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett
4. Draisaitl
5. Dal Colle
6. Ritchie
7. Virtanen
8. Fleury
9. Nylander
10. Ehlers
Old 06-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #220
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
i think whoever ends up with first, even if it stays with FLA, takes Ekblad.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #221

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Florida probably had their eyes on Nylander all year having scouts in europe... suddenly they win the 1st overall
Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #222
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Jesus, I didn't realize this Ekblad kid was 6'4", 217lbs. Kid is huge for an 18 year old

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #223
In RS I Trust

and the best part is he's still growing!!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #224
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Ekblad has been a beast so far and most scouts seem to think not only is he already NHL ready, but ready to make an impact. He's been the most anticipated D prospect out of juniors since Doughty, he could be that cornerstone franchise Dman a lot of teams are seeking.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #225
In RS I Trust

So basically we need Benning to work some magic since we need him as a draft pick!!
Closed Thread