REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Jack "popped" cap in underbody.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696027-jack-popped-cap-underbody.html)

sauceking88 06-14-2014 11:54 PM

Jack "popped" cap in underbody..

3 Attachment(s)
So I already know people are gonna flame me, but I'm kind of a noob with working on my own car. This weekend while I was trying to jack up the miata, I accidentally put the jack under a circular "cap". As I jacked up the car, the cap "popped in" and basically gave out. It's too hard for me to try to bend the cap back and I can feel some kind of insulation underneath.

I've attached pics of the left side (bad side) and right side with this cap thing intact. I'm quite worried, but before I take it to a shop, can anyone advise if this is serious and what exactly this cap thing in the undercarriage is???
:toot:
Thanks guys!!! :failed:

MaaaadMan 06-14-2014 11:59 PM

When I read the thread title I though someone name Jack shot at the underside of your car :lawl:

!Aznboi128 06-14-2014 11:59 PM

You know what accidents happen, that my friend is not a jackpoint.

You prob pushed a part of the floorboard through and into the car whereever the otherside of that is you should see it, push it back. If it's metal you might need to get someone to weld it back in place just to seal it back up.

Good Luck

sauceking88 06-15-2014 12:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. Well its not metal, feels like paper mache and kinda sticky. I dont see anything popping up in my floorboard.

fliptuner 06-15-2014 12:24 AM

Drain plug.

Out of curiosity, what made you think that was a good spot to jack the car up?

sauceking88 06-15-2014 12:41 AM

I thought the circle was an indicator of somewhere to put the jack...after doing some googling I realize I was an idiot - any idea how I can get the cap back flush?

fliptuner 06-15-2014 12:58 AM

I'd goop some seam sealer on the joint, set in place, then put a bunch of weight on it, til it sets.

snowball 06-15-2014 01:18 AM

I'm not really flaming you but please do more research and maybe take a basic course on auto mechanic safety before doing any more work on your car. Jack points are basic knowledge so please read up on it before you get yourself or someone else killed.

sauceking88 06-15-2014 01:50 AM

Thanks guys!

SkinnyPupp 06-15-2014 05:14 AM

Lucky you weren't under the car after choosing a really bad jack point.. it could have been much worse

dared3vil0 06-15-2014 08:33 AM

When you eventually get the car in the air correctly, make sure you do NOT go under it without properly placed jack stands! A hydraulic jack can fail, causing the car to fall on you.

underscore 06-15-2014 08:48 AM

On the inside of the car, what's above where the cap is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8487729)
When you eventually get the car in the air correctly, make sure you do NOT go under it without properly placed jack stands! A hydraulic jack can fail, causing the car to fall on you.

And chock'd wheels, and all the other basic safety stuff.

Lomac 06-15-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8487729)

I learned the hard way that you should always have a backup as well, whether it's leaving the jack still touching the car or your rims under the edge of the car. Managed to find a large rust spot on my frame that was hidden by perfect looking weather coating. And it's not just things failing, but if you're really reefing hard on something in order to get it loose, you can potentially even rock the car right off the stands.

fliptuner 06-15-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8487733)

Sound deadener, insulation, carpet, then either the seat bottom(if rearward) or nothing(if forward).

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/375/img2208w.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/...c93ff0db_z.jpg

BrRsn 06-15-2014 09:51 AM

For future reference, just google "xmodel jackpoints" and you'll get a ton of image results showing you jack points and whatnot.

On the plus side, you didn't get crushed by a miata and die

Dragon-88 06-15-2014 11:50 AM

Your owners manual is like your best friend, and the local Miata forums is like the 2nd wife. Always ask questions first, that's how learning works. Asking questions after the fact is just plain dumb.

Good luck with your future repairs! Hope to see you at the local Autox or track days.. Miata's are awesome!

slicrick 06-15-2014 02:42 PM

just saw this and thought I should post it here as it is relevant to the thread, be careful

sauceking88 06-15-2014 07:19 PM

Thanks all for showing concern, I didn't go under the body but will def be more careful in the future when jacking the car up. Sucks to be the guy in Surrey, glad I wasn't as unfortunate.

With that said - whats the worst case that could happen if I just patch that up with some masking tape. Some guy on miata.net said a bodyshop quoted him close to $1000 to fix something similar where he ran over some rocks :heckno:

I just want to make sure its weather sealed for the rain, doesn't need to be perfect fit/finish..

sauceking88 06-15-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8487733)

And chock'd wheels, and all the other basic safety stuff.

Basically just the drivers chair.

fliptuner 06-15-2014 07:50 PM

Masking tape won't do shit lol. If you don't seam seal it, water will splash up into the underpad, then soak through the carpet.

Like I said, use some seam sealer on the joint and put some weight on it overnight. Or if it's under the seat, jam a bunch of stuff between the carpet and seat so it holds the plug down. On the underside, just feather out the excess sealer with your finger.

http://3mcollision.com/media/catalog.../0/8/08370.jpg

You're going to want some anyways, if you plan on rolling your fenders.

dared3vil0 06-15-2014 07:55 PM

Masking tape...?

:fulloffuck:

boatcaptain 06-15-2014 08:18 PM

is this 06+ miata

sauceking88 06-16-2014 12:52 AM

Yes it's 06, and for what it's worth I was actually thinking of duck tape not masking (slightly better lol). :concentrate:

fliptuner 06-16-2014 01:03 AM

:rukidding: just....NO

sauceking88 06-16-2014 01:09 AM

I pressed down on the area from inside and it's slightly more flush now. I'll get a weight on there and see if it'll sink back into place and then sealant as well as some rubberized underbody spray. Will post after pics...