REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Rust in rock chip.

So i just noticed a rock chip on my roof, right at the edge to where it meets the windshield. It's clearly been there for a while, i guess i just never noticed it... With the rust forming, i need to get it repaired asap. Is this a job for a (professional) detailer, or a body shop?

Advertisement

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
That's the sort of thing I repair myself, but then I don't mind if it's a bit visible. That sort of repair is the type of thing a Bodyshop will (usually) rape you over. Most are too busy with collision work to waste space and time for a repair like that. A good detail-shop is your best bet, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

That's most likely just surface rust, nothing serious.

Canadian Tire carries these touch up pens Scratch Fix All-In-1 Paint | Canadian Tire with a sanding tip brush, used to remove surface rust in chips before applying touch up paint and clear. I'd suggest using a toothpick to fill the chip instead of the included brush when applying paint though.

Not going to look perfect but would take care of the rust and wouldn't be very noticeable if done right.
Acethriller is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Ended up repairing it myself.

Started with some 600 grit sand paper wrapped over a plastic scraper blade, wet sanded until rust gone from chip.

Applied 3 coats of OEM touch up paint from Ford.

Will have to wet sand and polish area to remove high spot/minimize color differences. Biggest thing is it won't rust anymore.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote