REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Woman guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696164-woman-guilty-2-highway-deaths-after-stopping-ducks.html)

Bouncing Bettys 06-20-2014 12:45 PM

Woman guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks

No good deed goes unpunished.

CBC News - Emma Czornobaj guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks
Quote:

Quebec woman convicted of criminal negligence and dangerous driving causing deaths of Andre Roy, 50, daughter

The Canadian Press

Posted:Jun 20, 2014 11:35 AM ET
Last Updated:Jun 20, 2014 4:05 PM ET
http://canadajournal.net/wp-content/...se-272x125.jpg

Emma Czornobaj was convicted in the deaths of two people after she stopped her car on Highway 30, south of Montreal, to help some ducks. Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press

A woman who stopped to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road in 2010 has been found guilty of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her parked car on a Montreal-area highway.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted Friday on two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

Czornobaj, 25, was charged after Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter, Jessie, 16, were killed.

Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's car, which was stopped in the left lane of a provincial highway in Candiac, south of Montreal.

His daughter was riding on the back of the motorcycle when the collision happened on June 27, 2010.

Quebec motorist accused in two deaths said she was helping ducks
Pauline Volikakis, the wife and mother of the two victims, was in court to hear the verdict.

She was following her family on her own motorcycle when the collision occurred.

"My feelings are that it is time that we go on. This will not bring back my loved ones," she said.

The trial heard that Czornobaj, who had three years of driving experience at the time, had stopped to rescue ducklings on the side of the road.

The professed animal lover told the court that she did not see the ducklings' mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.

Czornobaj's lawyer said the defence will be pushing for no jail time because of the lack of criminal intent.

multicartual 06-20-2014 12:49 PM

Great, now I'm fucking depressed and need alcohol and drugs

underscore 06-20-2014 12:52 PM

There has to be more to this story, how does a stopped car being rear ended result in the stopped car being guilty?

kunoman1 06-20-2014 12:56 PM

When it says she stopped In the left lane, is that the left emergency lane or would that be like parking in the HOV on the highway?

Timpo 06-20-2014 12:57 PM

Hot Karl 06-20-2014 01:00 PM

i hope she's feeling an appropriate amount of guilt, but not enough to make her kill herself in the future.

i don't know how'd i'd feel if i was friends or family with the victims. talk about senseless tragedy.

Timpo 06-20-2014 01:01 PM

well this is pretty hard case.
it's not like she was texting, DUI, street racing or anything like that.

People do kill ducks because ducks do go across the street like this on the video.

if she stopped to help ducks and prevent people from crashing into it, ironically it worked out oppositely, well i dont know.
because she had no intention of making road more dangerous.

would you leave ducks there or stop your car and make sure other people don't run into it?
i know the video is not on highway, but still..

if she deserves jail time, maybe like 30 days or so. Not 5-10 years like DUI.

7seven 06-20-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8490849)
There has to be more to this story, how does a stopped car being rear ended result in the stopped car being guilty?

There is more information in this article Emma Czornobaj found guilty for causing deaths of two bikers when she stopped to save ducks on highway | National Post

Quote:

During the trial, witness Martine Tessier testified that she saw Czornobaj on the left-hand side of the highway, bent over and motioning to some ducks.

Czornobaj, a professed animal lover, told the court that she did not see the ducklings’ mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.

“I shouted to my [three] children: ‘What is she doing there? She’s going to get killed,’” Tessier said, adding that Czornobaj was standing on a portion of the highway not wide enough to be used as a shoulder.

Tessier said she noticed that the parked car did not have its hazards on and the driver’s door was open. As she looked back in her rear-view mirror, Tessier said, she could see the back end of Czornobaj’s car lift up in the air.

“I saw a body go over the car. It looked like a rag doll,” Tessier said. “I shouted to my daughter to call 911.”
Seems like she was found guilty because she stopped her car on a highway without hazard lights on, leaving the door open and in a dangerous manner I guess? I also wonder if this happened in the evening or dark/low light situation as the pictures from the article of the accident scene seems to be at night. That would be pretty stupid and dangerous to stop your car on a highway at night, blocking a lane without any hazard lights on.

CharlieH 06-20-2014 01:10 PM

bitch was probably thinking about all the likes on facebook she was going to get after saving the ducks. what a fucking moron.

Timpo 06-20-2014 01:11 PM

Guilty, but no jail time due to lack of criminal intent.

Emma Czornobaj guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks - News - MSN CA

melloman 06-20-2014 01:15 PM

Hmmm...

-3 years driving experience.
-Stopped car in fast lane.
-Without hazards on.
-With drivers door open.

For ducks. :pokerface:

She did end up the cause of death for 2 people, which should be punishable. Yet did it like any other mentally handicapped person would've. (Hmmm.. Doesn't say she's retarded though :badpokerface: )

I vote probation and she is never allowed to drive again.

Timpo 06-20-2014 01:16 PM

makes me rethink about getting this one.. I wonder if they have survived if they had this

El Bastardo 06-20-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8490861)
Guilty, but no jail time due to lack of criminal intent.

Emma Czornobaj guilty in 2 highway deaths after stopping for ducks - News - MSN CA

....her heart was in the right place. It really was...

...but goddamn that was a poor decision

StanleyR 06-20-2014 03:34 PM

accused is pretty hawt

....that's all I have to say

Lomac 06-20-2014 03:40 PM

Now here's a question... Suppose this woman didn't stop to help the ducks and kept going. The motorcyclist travelling behind her would then have come across said ducks as they were on the road. Would this have been one of those stupid Final Destination type of scenarios where the biker (and passenger) would have died anyway due to either hitting one of the ducks or from attempting to emergency turn around them? Obviously it's purely hypothetical but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-20-2014 03:56 PM

lesson learnt, she'll either not stop for ducks next time or know to pull over properly and have your signals on and all that crap.

going to prison will serve no purpose.

there are a lot of idiots in this thread.

Presto 06-20-2014 04:13 PM

I almost mowed into a family of ducks, yesterday. They are quite brazen in Langley, it seems. They were crossing over from Ricky's to the bank, and then I guess onto the liquor store. Stupid ducks. Bank was closed, and they'll give you cash back at the liquor store, too :P

mk1freak 06-20-2014 04:35 PM

Sadly if someone anywhere ran over ducks especially if there were ducklings, even if it was unsafe to stop, that person would be vilified on social media and whatnot for being heartless and cruel and more than likely be charged with animal cruelty and do time.

van_city23 06-20-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8490939)
lesson learnt, she'll either not stop for ducks next time or know to pull over properly and have your signals on and all that crap.

going to prison will serve no purpose.

there are a lot of idiots in this thread.

Lesson learnt at the expense of 2 people... yah i don't think people are idiots because of their opinion. I mean if that was my family who died due to her dumb ass actions, I think she should be punished. If we aren't fully accountable for our conscious actions, then why even have laws. But yes, i do agree that going to prison wouldn't solve a purpose or help the victims family feel better. But there has to be some consequence sever enough to recognize the fact that 2 lives were lost due to her stupidity.

LP700-4 06-20-2014 05:13 PM

Makes no sense how the motorcyclist didnt see the car at all.

If it was dark wouldnt the car's headlights be on anyways? Even car door being open would lead to interior lights turning on.

How fast was the motorcycle going for the "back end of the car to lift up in the air"

$_$ 06-20-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_city23 (Post 8490953)
Lesson learnt at the expense of 2 people... yah i don't think people are idiots because of their opinion. I mean if that was my family who died due to her dumb ass actions, I think she should be punished. If we aren't fully accountable for our conscious actions, then why even have laws. But yes, i do agree that going to prison wouldn't solve a purpose or help the victims family feel better. But there has to be some consequence sever enough to recognize the fact that 2 lives were lost due to her stupidity.

Isn't having two deaths on your conscience not consequence enough? She's going to have to live with that the rest of her life. The images of the car crash , the victims family, learning about who those people were and what they left behind burned into her memory.

That should be punishment enough for any normal, sane, non-socio/psychopathical person.

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-20-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_city23 (Post 8490953)

err yah, she was in the involvement of a scenario that caused the death of 2 people and didn't intend it. she has to live with that for the rest of her life. isn't that severe enough?

unless you assume her guilt functions differently and she feels nothing at all and you need to punish her so she can realise what she has done.

I don't think she's that stupid. I'm pretty sure she knows what she did and she doesn't intend to do it again.

that being said. she is only 50% responsible. it takes two to tango. this isn't a stray bullet case. this is a highway, where all motor vehicle operators are licenced and have met a level where the govt deems they are smart enough to be aware of their surroundings and able avoid collisions.

i don't know about you, unless this was at night and they were going really fast, and the parked car had no lights on at all. there isn't really an excuse.

she shouldn't of been parked.
but he should have seen her and avoided the collision.

flawless 06-20-2014 06:00 PM

Kinda curious how far back the motorcycle was when she had pulled over.

punkwax 06-20-2014 06:01 PM

Unfortunate situation, but human life > duck life.

/thread.

Speed2K 06-20-2014 06:05 PM

I also think there's some details missing. If the posted speed was 90 than Emma was probably going that fast but she had time to stop her car, get out and tend to the ducks all before the motorcycle crashed into her car. The witness said she saw Emma on the side of the road so surely it couldn't have been pitched black. Unfortunately the motorcyclist was probably not paying enough attention (not to mention going way too fast with his child riding along) if he plowed into her car going between 105-121kms.