REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Who is at fault?

I always wondered who would be at fault in these cases? Anyone have any idea?

1. Hitting an illegally parked car, like cars that are parked right beside sidewalk where yellow line is, "no parking" spots, etc. I see people parking on illegal parking spot just to pick someone up or drop something off for very short time.

2. Hitting a jaywalker, I'm talking about people who suddenly cross the road without using crosswalk.

3. Get hit by a car on crosswalk while texting...who has the right of way? cross walker or car? and is texting illegal or does it make any difference on who was at fault?

4. Rear ending merging vehicle. Say you want to turn left, but a lot of people won't wait til merging lane if there's a traffic jam. So they would just driving on the green area of the road. And suddenly, the car in front of you change the lane to merge.

Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
1. Driver of the car in motion. Though parked car can get a ticket, if the scene is attended by the police.
2. It depends on the visibility, but onus is on the driver to pay attention. Hastings near Main is notorious for this.
3. Driver, pedestrians have the right at way on the crosswalk when it is their turn. It is up to the driver to make sure they don't hit people.
4. Driver obviously (you probably get a ticket from the cops who attend the scene).

In general, just because other people do illegal things doesn't absolve the driver from blame.

Oh get a dashcam, you don't have to volunteer information but in a lot of cases it helps.

Last edited by godwin; 06-27-2014 at 03:24 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I’ve always wondered about #2.
I saw a guy almost get hit once because he crossed the street in between stopped cars instead of at the crosswalk. Theres no way the driver could’ve seen him. Really stupid pedestrians seeing as how it was dark out too.
Medina is offline   Reply With Quote