REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Wedding Cakes?

My fiance and I are looking for a place to get a wedding cake in Vancouver. Do you guys have any suggestions to companies? What were your experiences with them and the price range of the cakes?

We really don't want to spend too much on the cake.
Advertisement
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

How much a cake is will depend mainly on how many people you want the cake to be served to; on average it's about $3 per serving.

I got mine from &sweets; private baker but i thought it was pretty good.
Keep costs low by only serving to head table and family!!!
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
if u want to spend a bit more but still keep costs low is to get a 3 tier cake, with only the top tier being a real cake and the bottom 2 being fake. serve the top tier to family and head table and serve guests from another slab of cake.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Any suggestions for good places to consider going to? Preferably places that people have had first hand experience with.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
This:

Ganache Patisserie

Quote:
For a more in-depth consultation and cake tasting, please contact us at the shop directly or by email to make an appointment with our pastry chef, Peter Fong, who will help you design and create a wedding cake that is a personal expression of your special day. After the consultation, we advise booking your wedding cake at least 4 months in advance of your wedding date to ensure our availability. The booking is secured with a small deposit and the remaining balance is due a week prior to your wedding day. Pricing is determined by the simplicity or complexity of the design and charged on a per serving basis.
I think the consultation fee is $50, but it includes cake tasting, and the consultation fee is eligible towards the eventual cake purchase. This is the absolute best-est tasting wedding cake place I can think of, but they are definitely not cheap.

Also, bear in mind that certain venues will charge you cake cutting fees, and obviously that is on top of the costs of the cake. Some of those are upwards of $3/person. Totally ridiculous and a bloddy ripoff if you ask me, but that is what they do, especially when the place has a preferred caterer and you didn't order the cake from them.

IIRC, the cheapest route you can go is to get a flat cake, but your fiancee will probably not approve.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

I can recommend a couple of places: Anna's Cake House (Anna's Cake House) in various locations or Michelle Cake Shop in Kerrisdale.

I ordered my wedding cake a couple of years ago from Anna's Cake on Broadway & Carolina location, and it turned out great! I also bought a birthday cake from Michelle recently. Both locations were based on which one I was closest to
enrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Cake & Giraffe
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

Maxim Bakery has great wedding cakes actually, and the price is pretty good.
This was at a wedding couple of years ago, a 5 tier cake mixed fruit cake, i believe the cost was around $300-400.

not sure if the price is the same and if they do 5 tier nowadays.

Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
This:

Ganache Patisserie

Also, bear in mind that certain venues will charge you cake cutting fees, and obviously that is on top of the costs of the cake. Some of those are upwards of $3/person. Totally ridiculous and a bloddy ripoff if you ask me, but that is what they do, especially when the place has a preferred caterer and you didn't order the cake from them.
THIS! Depending on the size of your reception and your venue of choice, the cost could add up to $10/person for the the actual cake and the associated fees (and it doesn't matter if only half of the people actually end up eating it, you get charged for all the guests that at there).

At my buddy's wedding, he and his wife opted to do a "cupcake wedding cake" instead of a traditional tiered wedding cake. He had 200+ made and arranged on tiered platters and a big-ass 10inch cupcake to cut into during the ceremony.

Something like this:
Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
+1 on Ganache having delicious cake. Brother-in-law got his cake there and paid an arm and a leg once you factor everything into it (wedding was at pan pacific and he got charged for everything imaginable). But honestly, you don't go to a wedding caring about the cake . If you really want to cross every T and dot every I, then I guess that's what you go for.

Also like the idea of cup cakes. We've done kids birthday parties the last few years and this is the route we've been taking. As the number of attendees climb up, the costs go down compared to getting a large slab of cake (from asian bakeries). And perhaps it's in the psychology. It's just nice to have your own personalized cake and not a part of one.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Me and my wife did the cupcake thing and saved big money. If you aren't all that interested in a traditional wedding I recommend it. We got pizza from famoso, cupcakes from uh...cupcakes, and I ordered a ton of cured meats and cheeses from two rivers and benton brothers and me and my buddies prepared charcuterie platters the day before with it. It ended up being like 15-1600 to cater a wedding of 120 people instead of 5-6k and the food was better than anything a caterer would have done for that 5k budget. Helped us save money for the things that matter, like tuition, a down payment, and of course an open bar......
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: