REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 07-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Need to buy Indian Wedding Clothes

Probably the most random thread I'll ever make on RevScene.

My step-sister is getting married and lives abroad. They are having both a traditional Catholic wedding and an Hindu wedding and I need to get clothes that are appropriate for the latter ceremony before returning home.

I've googled and found places online but I'm looking for any recommendations on places in the greater Vancouver area I can go, get fitted and buy everything. I don't want to look out of palce at the ceremony.

I don't know the first thing when it comes to clothes of this culture so any help is appreciated!
Advertisement
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Wait are they expecting you to wear traditional clothes?

I was just going to suggest a black suit (PLAIN BLACK), white shirt, and red tie.

Also I am assuming you are in the wedding party?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
I STILL don't get it

Unfortunatly that's not an option. I'm supposed to dress for the occasion as everyone else will be dressed that way (white and indian people will all be dressed the same). So

Hindu wedding => Hindu Clothes (Sherwani I think it's called?)
but for the Catholic wedding => Black Suite+Tie

Yes I am in the wedding party.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Looking on google these places seem to stick out:

Sunny's Bridal (looks profession based on what I can see from the website but could but rubbish for all I know in reality)

Crossover Bollywood (online reviews claim they have the best quality and designer selection but are expensive)

Raj Collection (boutique place, good prices you can barter but may not have a wide selection)

Anyone been or heard anything about these places?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Bombay Collections at the Paypal Centre in Surrey. They hand pick their stuff yearly from India.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
Looking on google these places seem to stick out:

Sunny's Bridal (looks profession based on what I can see from the website but could but rubbish for all I know in reality)

Crossover Bollywood (online reviews claim they have the best quality and designer selection but are expensive)

Raj Collection (boutique place, good prices you can barter but may not have a wide selection)

Anyone been or heard anything about these places?
All those are on Main Street. Crossover Bollywood is really but expensive. I got my wedding clothes from there. I highly suggest you head to Surrey where deals can be made. Always bargain!!!!
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
^+1

main street is dying, all the brown shops are in surrey now. Definitely haggle, almost to the point where you feel embarrassed! All the places you listed are pretty $$$ from what my female family members/gf tell me -- it's usually cheaper to find a style you like, then go to a tailor to have it custom made for yourself. Crossover carries designer stuff (indian designers) and is usually marked up a fair bit

Spoiler!

If you're average/thin build a plain black fitted sherwani actually looks pretty boss
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Are you the only wedding attendee who lives in the GVRD? Maybe they can put you in contact with someone local who is going and is more familiar with the attire?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post

If you're average/thin build a plain black fitted sherwani actually looks pretty boss
More like 6'3" 210 lbs 48" chest!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
^waist matters more -- I had to wear a similar thing for my sisters wedding. As long as you have a slim waist, the way they fit a sherwani makes your shoulders/chest look extra joocy

But yeah, as others have mentioned -- best bet is to ask someone in the family who is handling their clothes/alterations and get them to take your measurements and copy a style you like for you

ask your friends, most indian families have/know someone who makes clothes
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Are you the only wedding attendee who lives in the GVRD? Maybe they can put you in contact with someone local who is going and is more familiar with the attire?
I am. My family is from Trinidad and all of them live there. I'm the only one in Vancouver. They were going to just buy it there for me but had a difficult time finding something my size. I'm just above average I'd say by North American standards but Trinidadians are much smaller people generally speaking. I know there's a pretty large Sikh and Indian community in parts of Vancouver so I told them I'd sort it out up here before coming down. They have enough drama trying to plan two weddings.

Last edited by R. Mutt; 07-10-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
I STILL don't get it

Thanks a lot guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
All those are on Main Street. Crossover Bollywood is really but expensive. I got my wedding clothes from there. I highly suggest you head to Surrey where deals can be made. Always bargain!!!!
About what can I expect to pay on average? Negotiations aside, what's the average price for these clothes at places with reasonable pricing?

Also is the Sherwani just the jacket or does that include the pants and whatever is worn underneath?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
2 Wheelin' Mod

You can just wear a beater underneath or w.e u feel like

They will sell you the jacket, pants and scarf

no idea what the price is have never bought one from here
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
Thanks a lot guys!

About what can I expect to pay on average? Negotiations aside, what's the average price for these clothes at places with reasonable pricing?

Also is the Sherwani just the jacket or does that include the pants and whatever is worn underneath?
Your looking at around $100-$2000. A groom one is obviously something your not looking for which starts around $800 easy. I would suggest for a good one pay no more than $200 tops.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
I have DJ'd a Hindu/christian wedding and some other Hindu parties and most of the guys just were suits. I searched Trinidad Hindu wedding on Youtube and people were wearing both traditional and western suits. So you would be good either way.