REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

How safe for paint are the motorized car washes?

A family member bought one of Morrey Nissan's lifetime oil change and car wash packages. The oil change part was good because the car will stay in the family for many years. I'm curious how safe Morrey's motorized car wash is for the paint.

In the past, I wouldn't touch those car washes with a 10ft pole. However, I noticed that Richmond Lexus now uses one of those for their free car wash after a service appointment. I'm wondering if things have improved such that someone will take a new Lexus, even an LFA, through one of those.
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
motorized car wash?

does it have the spinning brushes or is it touch less?
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
The motorized brush ones will scratch your paint 100% because there's almost always tiny ass rocks in the brushes. Touchless washes are also really hit and miss. If the water pressure is too high, it can strip your wax coating.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
The motorized brush ones will scratch your paint 100% because there's almost always tiny ass rocks in the brushes. Touchless washes are also really hit and miss. If the water pressure is too high, it can strip your wax coating.
I would much rather go to a touchless wash than one with the brushes for reason mentioned above, I personally like the Chevron Car washes because of the rainbow soap and Rain-X they use =D
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Both the Morrey Nissan and Richmond Lexus ones have spinning contraptions. I don't they are brushes like in the bad old days but they look like strips of cloth.

I'd like to be able to think "good enough for Lexus, good enough for me", but these days, many a company will gladly NOT pay a young guy even a minimum wage to properly wash a car in favour of anything that saves them a buck.

I wonder how the guy who bought the LFA that was in their showroom would feel if he took it in for an oil change and returned to find that the courtesy car wash was done by driving it through an automated car wash.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee View Post
I wonder how the guy who bought the LFA that was in their showroom would feel if he took it in for an oil change and returned to find that the courtesy car wash was done by driving it through an automated car wash.
Richmond Toyota will ask you if you want your car washed, when you drop it off. You can always decline.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee View Post
A family member bought one of Morrey Nissan's lifetime oil change and car wash packages. The oil change part was good because the car will stay in the family for many years. I'm curious how safe Morrey's motorized car wash is for the paint.

In the past, I wouldn't touch those car washes with a 10ft pole. However, I noticed that Richmond Lexus now uses one of those for their free car wash after a service appointment. I'm wondering if things have improved such that someone will take a new Lexus, even an LFA, through one of those.
That all depends how picky you are about your paint finish? Any car wash will clean your car to a certain point. If you want to maintain the new car look IMHO I would use a brush less car wash. It may not totally clean your painted surface as it may leave a fine film of dirt,but you won't be putting any swirls/scratches into your paint.This would be the least aggressive method washing you car. I would also consider a paint sealant if possible.
Gsxrghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
My sister got a new car and I washed it, clay-bar, polished out some small swirls by hand and put on some sealant/wax -- she's been taking it to the automatic car wash on Marine Drive just west of Cambie st (Husky Gas station, last gas station before you hit the arthur lang) for almost 10 months now -- IMO that's one of the better automated car washes. No new swirls yet, completely touchless, and washes the bottom of your car too

I haven't had success with any of the conventional car washes I've used -- even the one on terminal/main will scratch your car up if its dirty enough. BTW, those rotary car washes are dangerous -- a new car wash guy at work left a car sitting infront of the brushes for too long and it literally tore off all the clear coat in the area after about a minute
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote