REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   DIY Air Conditioners (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696715-diy-air-conditioners.html)

Noreason 07-15-2014 05:29 PM

Yeah I admit I'm a wuss. It kills a good night of sleep when it's too hot for me and we are no where as hot as the rest of Canada.

My condo has floor to ceiling windows facing northwest and it definitely feels like a sauna even with shades and windows open and unfortunately central air is controlled by the strata and not individual units.

$500 is definitely worth the investment for couple years of good climate control in your house. I think people can blow more than that on a weekend out partying or just daily lunches or coffee adding up through a year.

multicartual 07-15-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noreason (Post 8502891)
$500 is definitely worth the investment

I think people can blow more than that on a weekend out partying

Cheap weekend haha

tiger_handheld 07-15-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by entrax (Post 8502849)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Window_Fan.jpg

I use one of these. My window always has a shadow (between two houses) and my room is always 5c colder in the day time and 10c colder at night than the rest of the house. It's quite amazing. I got my room down to 18c last night. Cheap $35 investment.

where to get?

TOPEC 07-15-2014 08:38 PM

^ yes where to get? oh n for ppl looking into getting a window fan, dont get the one from canadian tire because in order to "reverse" the air flow ull need to physically reverse mount the fan to change directions, all others ive seen has switches to reverse the air flow.

spoon.ek9 07-15-2014 09:13 PM

I've seen those types of fans at Walmart actually. I'm sure other places have similar ones too (home depot, canadian tire, etc).

It may be ghetto to do this but man, I love it lol :haha:

Ch28 07-15-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noreason (Post 8502891)
Yeah I admit I'm a wuss. It kills a good night of sleep when it's too hot for me and we are no where as hot as the rest of Canada.

My condo has floor to ceiling windows facing northwest and it definitely feels like a sauna even with shades and windows open and unfortunately central air is controlled by the strata and not individual units.

$500 is definitely worth the investment for couple years of good climate control in your house. I think people can blow more than that on a weekend out partying or just daily lunches or coffee adding up through a year.

+1

We picked up our portable AC for $300 on sale. Everywhere else ended up being sold out the following day

$500 is most definitely a worthwhile investing in controlling the temperate in your house, especially when all your friends start whining about how they're melting at home :lol

rsx 07-15-2014 09:28 PM

My condo before can get up to 34 degrees so the ac was a must.

m3thods 07-15-2014 09:56 PM

For those of you with condos:

Which portable AC units are you using? Most require a window that doesn't open like most modern condo windows open (in/out, rather than up/down). Do you just DIY some ducting to make it work, or are there units specifically for the in/out type of windows?

Ch28 07-15-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8503043)

Which portable AC units are you using? Most require a window that doesn't open like most modern condo windows open (in/out, rather than up/down). Do you just DIY some ducting to make it work, or are there units specifically for the in/out type of windows?

We have ours hooked up to the patio door. All portable AC units should have brackets that extend the height of a sliding patio door.

entrax 07-15-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8502899)
where to get?

Quote:

Originally Posted by topec
^ yes where to get? oh n for ppl looking into getting a window fan, dont get the one from canadian tire because in order to "reverse" the air flow ull need to physically reverse mount the fan to change directions, all others ive seen has switches to reverse the air flow.

Mine is actually from CT. It's the one that doesn't reverse. However, I honestly have not needed to reverse it at all. I just keep it on 24/7 and it keeps the room comfortable enough.

Changing the wiring to have reverse wouldn't be too hard either since there are three switches. OFF, LOW, HIGH. The low setting can easily be wired to go in reverse.

fliptuner 07-15-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8503043)

Worst case, buy a piece of plexi, cut the same size as the window opening, then using the window mount that comes with the AC as a template, cut a hole the same size.

nsmb 07-15-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8503053)
Worst case, buy a piece of plexi, cut the same size as the window opening, then using the window mount that comes with the AC as a template, cut a hole the same size.

thick cardboard bro

fliptuner 07-15-2014 10:32 PM

Some stratas have restrictions on what you can see from outside (ie. blinds and window decorations).

Tim Budong 07-15-2014 10:41 PM

You gotta use the plexiglass for casement windows that swing open

Our condo is the same.

fliptuner 07-16-2014 06:53 PM

Those window fans are $30 at XSCargo right now.

Senna4ever 07-16-2014 07:24 PM

Last night was the first time this year I didn't use the heater in the basement. It's perfect. Upstairs feels like a sauna.

bobola 07-16-2014 10:18 PM

For those with window fan.

I know you pull air in at night.
But during the day, should you pull air in or push air out?

hotjoint 07-16-2014 10:30 PM

this is what I have :thumbsup:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...-S._SY355_.jpg

TOPEC 07-16-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobola (Post 8503637)
For those with window fan.

I know you pull air in at night.
But during the day, should you pull air in or push air out?

if the window fan is facing the sun, push out, but make sure u also open a window that is shaded so cool air can replace the hot air that is pushed out. if the window fan is shaded then pull in

spoon.ek9 07-17-2014 11:59 AM

I'm liking this sharing of different methods haha. Maybe I'll look at these window fans as a next project.

dogeatcookie 07-17-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8502630)
Holy shit @ $500 on something you only use like 2 weeks out of the year :fuckthatshit:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/95/95424...f25d0c2fcd.jpg

FerrariEnzo 07-18-2014 04:37 AM

Not sure if a window fan will work for my weird ass room..

No wind comes thru.. literally, with the window wide open (it slides right - left).. I could hold a piece of paper right against the mesh screen and it does not move... even at night its the same thing..
you can feel the temp is so hot as soon as you walk into my room from the hallway.. its super noticeable...

underscore 07-18-2014 08:05 AM

^ dude that's the point of a fan, to increase air flow.

Presto 07-18-2014 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep. The key is airflow. An apartment can be easily set up for that. Below is a rough idea of how my system looks. It's a corner unit. The blue represents open windows. The red are the window fans.

The fans are always set to exhaust. This lowers the air pressure in the apartment, causing air to come in through the bedrooms. Depending on the time of day, I'll shut the door to the room that's getting blasted with sunlight. In addition to constant airflow, resulting in cooler temps, you also get a nice, quiet breeze when you sleep. Not having noisy fans in the room while you sleep is nice!

fliptuner 07-31-2014 10:51 AM

Free Styro Boxes

:troll: