REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Ran a red light but kinda different (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696792-ran-red-light-but-kinda-different.html)

kickhopper 07-17-2014 01:02 PM

Ran a red light but kinda different

Hello, so I was driving along knight street and 33rd and I was driving North going towards kingsways. I saw that the light turned yellow and I couldn't slow down in time to stop and ended up crossing the red light maybe 2 seconds after it changed from yellow to red. The reason why I couldn't stop is because my rear brake pad are completely warn out and didn't want to slam on the brakes and damage them more. I was already planning on changing them on friday (tmr) but I didn't have time before that cause we ordered the parts and it would take a week. Is there a way to prove this? as I am changing the pads and rotor tmr will pictures help if I dispute? Also I was reading up older post and they said that if you get a red light ticket they don't give you points but I just called in and they said you do [129(1)]. I recall that before they didn't give you points because they don't if the owner or someone that is authorize, is driving. I am asking this because I am not the person that insured the car (parents )but I was driving it

MikeHB 07-17-2014 01:09 PM

Preventive maintenance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preventive_maintenance

mb_ 07-17-2014 01:12 PM

As the driver, it's your responsiblity to make sure the vehicle is road worthy so if that was your argument for dispute, it wouldn't stick.

nsx042003 07-17-2014 01:35 PM

try telling the judge you'd rather run the risk of t-boning someone/killing a pedestrian than to use your rear brake that you were going to be replacing anyway.

jesus..

underscore 07-17-2014 01:59 PM

I see a lot of "I didn't" in your post. YOU messed up, YOU made the mistake, YOU should pay the fine. And next time, fix your brakes before they're fried or stop driving it when they get too bad.

On second thought, go ahead and tell the judge what you told us, I want to see you get a VI on top of your red light ticket.

Gumby 07-17-2014 02:04 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...sonPopcorn.gif

BrRsn 07-17-2014 02:21 PM

Did you get a letter in the mail, or did you just see the flash? I have had this happen to me a few times where I was actually in the wrong -- I ran a red light, I saw the flashes, but got no ticket. Wait it out before you try and use the fact that you didn't maintain a safety device as a defense lol

But uhhh ... if you ordered pads and rotors, what exactly were you going to damage that you weren't going to replace anyways?

Spidey 07-17-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickhopper (Post 8503910)
Hello, so I was driving along knight street and 33rd and I was driving North going towards kingsways. I saw that the light turned yellow and I couldn't slow down in time to stop and ended up crossing the red light maybe 2 seconds after it changed from yellow to red. The reason why I couldn't stop is because my rear brake pad are completely warn out and didn't want to slam on the brakes and damage them more. I was already planning on changing them on friday (tmr) but I didn't have time before that cause we ordered the parts and it would take a week. Is there a way to prove this? as I am changing the pads and rotor tmr will pictures help if I dispute? Also I was reading up older post and they said that if you get a red light ticket they don't give you points but I just called in and they said you do [129(1)]. I recall that before they didn't give you points because they don't if the owner or someone that is authorize, is driving. I am asking this because I am not the person that insured the car (parents )but I was driving it

so you ran a red light? The way I read that is that you crossed the intersection seconds after it had already turned red.... regardless of whether you ran the red or not, you do realize there is an offence under the MVA for failing to stop at a yellow, although the red light cameras don't activate for yellow runners.

Red light camera tickets go to the registered owner. There are no points associated. Your parents will find out since it will be mailed to them. If your brakes are in such poor condition that you cannot even safely brake in an emergency situation, get that car off the frikken road!:stupid:

meme405 07-17-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickhopper (Post 8503910)
I was already planning on changing them on friday (tmr) but I didn't have time before that cause we ordered the parts and it would take a week.

Then you shouldn't have driven the car.

People like you are the exact reason I will welcome, with open arms, vehicle inspections. No brakes, burnt out bulbs, bald tires, leaking oil, bumpers half hanging on, broken mirrors...The list goes on and on.

Why would you even wait until the last week before getting new pads? It's not like brakes are good on one day then worn out the next, if you even look around your vehicle or pay attention to the maintenance needs once a month you would know 3 months in advance that you would need new brakes...

320icar 07-17-2014 03:21 PM

OP is a tard.

Fafine 07-17-2014 03:29 PM

HAHAHA

sho_bc 07-17-2014 04:22 PM

If you had the time to see the light turn yellow and entered the intersection a second or two after it turned red, you had time to gentally apply the brakes and come to a safe stop, using next to no rear brake at all to stop (majority of your braking is handled by the front brakes). Unless you were speeding, in which case i would ask why you would knowingly speed with such little confidence in your ability to stop?

As said above, if you were planning on changing your pads and rotors tomorrow anyways, there was no need to worry about damaging either of them. Had you hit someone knowing your brakes were in such disrepair, you could be charge with a much more serious offence than a red light ticket.

kickhopper 07-17-2014 04:56 PM

I'll take full responsibility my decisions were bad and I'll make preventive checks from now on. You're all right I am a fool and should have not even driven the car. Thanks the comments good or bad. I'll close this thread, mod can delete it I am lucky to have not hurt anybody

zulutango 07-17-2014 06:51 PM

For a moment there I thought we had a new nomination for King Troll in the Police Forum. :)