REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
AUTOGUIDE: Should You Buy a Car with a CVT Transmission?

agree or disagree?

Personally, i enjoy my 6MT very much BUT with the understanding that
AT and CVT are very much taking over ... so with my next car being 2yrs away...i think my choices are going to be AT vs CVT.

Should You Buy a Car with a CVT Transmission? » AutoGuide.com News

Imagine the CVT like a bicycle’s gear system. It’s made up of a pulley system, with cones at each pulley, all connected by a chain belt. These cones move closer together or further apart to increase or decrease the diameter at which the belt operates. The ratio here is important, and is selected automatically based on factors like gas pedal position, vehicle speed and engine speed.

What all this means is that a CVT doesn’t shift at all like a traditional gearbox. The ratios are always changing in order to find the perfect combination for speed, fuel efficiency or both. Some CVTs even come with buttons to help shift between pre-set ratios which helps mimic a traditional automatic. 

The first time you drive a car with a CVT, you’ll know.

The feel of a CVT can be odd. The rpm of the engine can fluctuate a lot while driving, especially when accelerating. Or when accelerating hard, they’ll just sit unchanged at a lofty rpm level while the car pulls forward.

Compared to an automatic or manual transmission, a CVT is much smoother. Feeling like one really long gear, in reality its a nearly infinite collection of gears all meshed together.

any cars nowadays are being sold with CVTs instead of traditional automatics, mainly because of their efficiency. In fact, the new 2013 Nissan Altima (above, read our review here) uses a CVT transmission and is rated as the most fuel efficient mid-size sedan on the market with a 38 mpg highway rating. In addition, almost all hybrids use CVT transmissions, including the Prius, helping maximize fuel economy.

While drawbacks in terms of responsiveness are usually noted by driving “enthusiasts”, Continuously Variable Transmissions have one key advantage over their automatic and manual counterparts. When driving up hills, where traditional automatics can struggle, a CVT can seamlessly provide power without shifting. Even-speed hill driving can prove to be a tough endeavour for novice manual transmission drivers. We actually praised the CVT in the Scion iQ (read our review here) for delivering exactly this sort of responsiveness on the hills in San Francisco, despite a tiny 1.3-liter engine and just 94 hp.

Nissan has been selling cars with CVTs for quite some time now, and has had considerable success introducing the new transmission type into the market.

According to Steve Yaeger, from Nissan North America, “With coming CAFE and CO2 emissions regulations requiring better fuel economy and lower emissions, the CVT gives the Nissan lineup an attractive alternative to conventional automatics that is more efficient on both fronts.”

Still, CVTs are having a tough time breaking into the market. It turns out that many drivers don’t like the loud and strange noise of their car’s engine revving wildly. Many drivers liken the sound, and the feeling, to that of a slipping clutch. Additionally, CVTs are usually less likely to be paired with higher horsepower, or higher torque engines.

Lastly, not all CVTs are well equipped to deal with towing.

Additionally, the reliability of the modern CVT has yet to be tested. The Nissan Murano (seen above) was the first car Nissan offered with only a CVT, and it had some pretty serious problems. Some were so bad that the whole transmission had to be replaced.

However, since then, Nissan has extended the warranty of the transmission to 10 years/120,000 miles. That should help alleviate any fear buyers may have over the reliability of getting a car with a CVT. 

If you enjoy revving your car to its redline, and feeling the thrust as your car shifts, then maybe a CVT isn’t for you at all. For those types, you may want to try your hand at a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) if you want to have a sporty feel and keep an automatic. Otherwise, the CVT is a fine choice in the world of economical cars. Many hybrid vehicles use a form of CVT to get such high mile per gallon numbers. It’s good with fuel, and smooth. Sorry about the noise though, but you might just get used to it.

In summary, there are a few advantages to getting a vehicle with a CVT: It’s good on gas, gives a relatively smooth ride, and is versatile enough for daily driving. It also has a few drawbacks. It’s nowhere near as fun or engaging as a dual clutch automatic or manual transmission. It can also make quite a racket when accelerating hard. Keep these points in mind when looking at your next car. A CVT can help make or break the purchase, so be sure to know what you want, and how the transmission plays a part in it.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

CVT may be fuel efficient, what I know is that CVT has a very low cruising rpm. The altima or the 4 cylinder accord cruise at 1500 rpm at 100km/h and 1800rpm at 110km/h. That is very low rpm since it's comparable to the 8 speed auto found in bimmers.

CVT could also be more cost cutting. If you look at it, entry level midsize sedans are using it. But when you buy the V6 accord, they switch back to the 6 speed auto instead of the CVT.
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Had a Cube as a courtesy car a few years back and thought the CVT in that was very well done. It wasn't loud and cruised on the highway pretty nice, I felt there was enough power even with 5 people in the car. My old '03 Corolla was much harsher with the 4AT. With the Cube as long as you didn't try to rush the car and drove like a human being you wouldn't find any real issues with it IMO. My family has an early 2000's Nissan Serena van in HK and that thing really struggles up hill with it's CVT but definitely can't say the same for the current generations. Have heard good things about the new Accord and Subie ones.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

CVT is good for small cars with little power. Car with ample torque/power don't see the benefits much

If I'm in the market for an automatic, I could care less what technology it has, if it drives good then it's good. All that talk about unreliable transmission or costly repair, ANY transmission can break and cost a lot to replace. Look at Honda's traditional 5speed auto. People just naturally hate to accept change.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiety View Post
CVT may be fuel efficient, what I know is that CVT has a very low cruising rpm. The altima or the 4 cylinder accord cruise at 1500 rpm at 100km/h and 1800rpm at 110km/h. That is very low rpm since it's comparable to the 8 speed auto found in bimmers.

CVT could also be more cost cutting. If you look at it, entry level midsize sedans are using it. But when you buy the V6 accord, they switch back to the 6 speed auto instead of the CVT.
I'm pretty sure the 6 speed auto switchback is because their CVT cannot handle the torque of the V6.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Owned a Mitsu Lancer for 4 years. To be honest it isn't the worst. I hated how first gear feels non-existant but for city driving it's actually peppy. It sucked on long drives and empty highways and I would never get one again. Currently have a traditional 6 speed auto and it's way more fun.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Can you do a burnout with a CVT?
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I absolutely fucking hate them and I don't care if they cut fuel consumption in half. I drive all sorts of base model type cars due to my work and they're just weird as shit. Sentra, Caliber, Compass, Patriot, ugh. The vehicles are actually OK but the CVT just kills the driveability. I say fuck it; fuck it all to hell.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: