REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Sprained Ankle

Hi,

I sprained my ankle in early June. It was pretty bad I couldn't put any weight on it for a few days.
I made the horrible decision of playing beach volleyball 3 weeks later and it swelled up a lot.
I went to see a Chinese (physio?) doctor in Richmond that was recommended by my mom. He pressed and massaged the area. It hurt like fuck.

It has been 2 weeks since.
It seems to have gotten a little better but it still hurts when I press the area under the ball and can't bend it a full 360.

Especially after work each day (I walk stand and walk all day), when I get home the ankle is very sore. I've twisted my ankle before but it's never took this long to heal.
Am I just getting older or is this a different or more serious injury?

What should I do?
It's been almost 7 weeks since the initial injury, should I still apply ice to it every night?
Should I see a western doctor or is that a waste of time?
How long is it supposed to take for this to fully heal?

My co-worker said that this will haunt me forever, that when I get older, humidity will make it hurt. If that's the case I'm really worried and would like to prevent this if possible.

Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Sprains are sometimes worse than breaks. One of my wrists I still feel from time to time, doubt it'll ever be the same.

I all honesty it's probably going to take a while considering you're on your feet all day essentially using it for 8 hours a day.

tldr; suck it up and tough it out, nothing you can do besides wait for it to heal. It'll take time.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Buy an ankle brace. Go get an xray.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
My ankle got fucked up too. Twisted right around when I fell on it playing soccer. Bought an ankle brace to walk around on. Tried playing hockey a few times and I kept re-aggravating it. Eventually healed up fine after about 3 months. When you're all fixed up, make sure to stretch out your ankle before sports. My friend has rolled his ankle multiple times and it will never be the same. He wears a special brace when playing sports now.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Go to emergency room and ask to them to do an x-ray.
Possible minor fracture/inflammation (from possible torn ligament/muscle)that hasn't healed yet.
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
RS Lurker, I don't post!

From what you described, you need an x-ray if you haven't already got one. Rule of thumb is that if you can't weight bear for a few steps after an injury, you need some imaging.

See your doctor to get assessed. If not treated properly, you're more likely to end up with chronic instability and/or arthritis down the road.

Here's some info:
Sprained Ankle-OrthoInfo - AAOS (Ankle Sprains)
Ankle Fractures (Broken Ankle)-OrthoInfo - AAOS (Ankle Fractures)
Section 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Thanks I went to get an X-Ray a couple days ago, still waiting for results.
When I went to the doctor and showed him my ankle, he said "So you twisted it 2 weeks ago?"
... I was like "uh no... it's been about 2 months now"

His reaction was "Wow that's still pretty swollen, we'll need to get an X-ray on that" ...

Hmm ... not the most encouraging sign.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Yeah man sprained ankles don't really keep being swollen past 4-5 days...

Even severe sprains reside within 2-3 weeks

Best of luck
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote