REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 07-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Auto Transmission spitting out error code P0797

On a 2005 Nissan Altima V6 Auto Transmission (5sp)

Was driving home yesterday and heard the transmission shift funny and then now it seems to be in limp mode as it feels as though it is stuck on 2nd gear.

Had an OBD2 dongle handy and the error code was:

P0797 - Powertrain - Transmission - ISO/SAE Controlled
Pressure Control Solenoid "C" Stuck On

Wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue before and what was the damage (on the car and on the wallet). I believe the fluids in it was due for a change (funny enough I had an appointment to bring it in for that very thing next week) current mileage is about 106K, I believe I had the fluids done last time at around 50-60K. I've had rough shifting from 1st to 2nd the last few weeks as well
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
I know nothing about Nissans, but just judging from your code, it just sounds like a bad solenoid.

Don't drive it anymore, and get it replaced.

I know on my Accord the solenoid(s) are accessible just by removing a wheel so you may be able to DIY.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Common on your generation of Altima (same with Pathfinders etc.)

Should get it repaired/replaced before it does greater long-term damage to your transmission.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanks for the info guys ... I haven't drove it since it locked up and I'm getting it done in the next couple of days ...

Should I just get it towed to the place or can i still drive it over, unfortunately I live in Richmond and the place is in Burnaby
Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I would get it towed just on the safe side but you never know what state the transmission is in. If you have BCAA it isn't that bad. Going from Richmond and Burnaby you will have to go up and down some hills, that would be my concern if you are driving.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote