REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
I don't get it

Tenant late on rent. Should I fix oven

I have a tenants July 1st cheque bounce. I did not know until I got a letter from the bank about it last week. I am now tryng to get a re issued cheque or e transfer from tenant but the she is delaying.

Excuses include roommate is out of town and I will have to wait with no specified date. Last week, she also said she will pay her half this weekend which she has not done. Its already 40 days over due. Communicating with her has been hit and miss. At this point I've lost trust in her.

After confrontng her about the cheque, the same day she tells me the oven is not working. The stove top works though. My question is, Im I obligated to repair the oven even though she owes me rent? What is the next best plan of action?

Thanks
Advertisement

Last edited by dvst8; 08-10-2014 at 07:30 PM.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Your best option would be to contact the Rental Tenancy Board tomorrow and speak to someone there, but if I'm not mistaken you are legally obligated to fix the stove/oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
you need to read up on the RTA rules. Residential Tenancy Branch : Government of British Columbia

the oven repair is a separate issue from the rent. you can't combine that together.

Rent Increases and Non-payment of Rent : RTB : Government of British Columbia <- rent issue.

i cant find the rules regarding general repair as i'm in a rush right now.

but it is always better to resolve the issues between tenants and landlords privately before going through the RTA method.

you tend to have a happy landlord/tenant if you can keep the relationship happy.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
From the act regarding repairs:

Quote:
9. Repairs
9.1 Repairing and Maintaining the Property

A landlord and tenant are both responsible for repairing, maintaining, and
servicing the rental unit.

A tenant must:
» Repair any damage that they, their guests or pets cause, even if it is
an accident
» Keep the rental unit in a condition that meets health and
cleanliness standards
» Contact the landlord as soon as possible if a serious repair is needed
to a service or facility provided by the landlord

A landlord must:
» Maintain the building and property to health, safety and
housing standards
» Keep the building and property in a condition that makes the
building reasonably comfortable to live in
» Oversee repairs for serious problems
» Ensure emergency contact information is posted in a visible place in
the building, or provide tenants with that information in writing

Ongoing repairs that continually disrupt a tenant may make a tenancy less
valuable and the tenant could be entitled to reduced rent while the work
is underway. The landlord and tenant can agree in writing to a temporary
rent reduction, or the tenant can submit an application for dispute
resolution asking for a rent reduction.
Page 15: http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/g...ct_english.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Well since contacting her is a hit and miss. Make it so that when she contacts you is also a hit and miss.

For Example ":Sorry my phone was stolen", "sorry i left town for the weekend", "sorry I have no money to pay for the repairs because someone didn't pay me rent". If she wants to play the game, play with her till she pays.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
I don't get it

Thanks guys, I'll give the RTA a call tomorrow.Honestly, I dont want to involve the RTA but shes really not willing to work it out. I am going to try cut my losses short.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Give her a 10 day notice ASAP. it's form RTB-30

Forms & Fees : RTB : Government of British Columbia
Old 08-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
wut he said. 40 days past due wow. if you issue a 10 day notice expect it to take another couple of months before you can actually give her the boot. make sure it's documented some how that you've served notice. pic of notice on their front door, registered mail, whatever

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Well since contacting her is a hit and miss. Make it so that when she contacts you is also a hit and miss.

For Example ":Sorry my phone was stolen", "sorry i left town for the weekend", "sorry I have no money to pay for the repairs because someone didn't pay me rent". If she wants to play the game, play with her till she pays.
I think that's terrible advice. Don't turn in to a shitty land lord just because you have a shitty tenant. Deal with it like an adult.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
danggg man... owners need to get this shit straight.
1) deposit the night of
2) once you get a bank letter, you instantly get tenant to pay cash up front the next day or within 2 business day.
3) you go pick up and they don't have it, you on the spot serve her the 10 day notice.
4) by accepting portion of rent, you are obeying to extend the contact fyi, so beware what you do.
5) you get this shit resolved asap. and start the court order. It's much easier to withdraw and ask them to pay for filing fee than start 40 days into the late payment.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
I don't get it

Called the RTA yesterday and the rep didn't provide much more info than what was said here. I also messaged her last night to arrange a time to replace the stove and collect the payment. She hasn't responded, so she can't say I haven't tried to resolve her stove issue. I will be serving the 10 day notice tonight.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Called the RTA yesterday and the rep didn't provide much more info than what was said here. I also messaged her last night to arrange a time to replace the stove and collect the payment. She hasn't responded, so she can't say I haven't tried to resolve her stove issue. I will be serving the 10 day notice tonight.
Sounds like the right course of action.

Make sure you nail the notice to her forehead.

Fuck shitty tenants suck.

Good luck buddy, keep us posted.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
If you go to the unit and she "isn't home" or isn't answering the door tape the 10 day notice on the door on the front door and take a picture and record a video as well. Also when you do it put today's newspaper next to it fully showing the date on the newspaper. That way there is prof you serve the notice and the day it was serve on.

I have to do this to one of my tenant........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
you don't really need the newspaper but yeah it does help. you just have to file the paper work stating you have served it.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
I don't get it

Rent collected!
The lease ends this November and I wont be renewing it with them. Cant wait.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #16
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
If you don't intend to renew, make sure you serve her the notice at least 60 days (?) prior. You do not want to give her any excuses.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #17
Director of RS Cares

THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE (either you're a tenant or a landlord) always leave yourself a papertrail!!!!!!! This is especially important for any issues that may arise and if for any reason you ever have to go to court for a bad tenant (or landlord).

And in my experience, try to go with a management company to deal with your rental investments. It's an expense, but it will save you the major headache if your tenant ever fucks shit up! It's just so much easier to have someone deal with the issues for you rather than dealing with the tenants directly. I have a few companies that I use personally if you want their contacts.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
I don't get it

So I am back at the situation again. She will be moving out this month but has decided to not to pay this months rent. I've served her the 10 days notice so I can get her out by the 19th. Shes refusing to leave by that time. I know I can't go in there to throw her stuff out but would like to know what are the consequences if I did? I want this b**** out asap. I won't believe another word she says.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #19
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
So I am back at the situation again. She will be moving out this month but has decided to not to pay this months rent. I've served her the 10 days notice so I can get her out by the 19th. Shes refusing to leave by that time. I know I can't go in there to throw her stuff out but would like to know what are the consequences if I did? I want this b**** out asap. I won't believe another word she says.
I don't know but you don't want to go there.
Just go through the process with the Tenancy board. From the sounds of it, they should rule in your favor so let the process do it's job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #20
I don't get it

Fair enough. I'll play nice and trust the residency board on this one then.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
as far as im concerned people who are that late with rent should have no right or say about anything. stupid scum. the RTB is a crock of shit too.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #22
I don't get it

Yup its frustrating. If I hire a property manager next time around, would they have any additional advantages in dealing with these situations than myself?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #23

Going to the tenancy branch is going to take you about 2 months and the person still can say they are not moving.

The cops can't do anything because it is a landlord tenant issue.

Ask her multiple times a day for the rent. Also tell her since she is not paying rent you are no longer her landlord and will not be providing her any services.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #24
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
First off, as a landlord, you need to give the tenant 24 hours notice. By going into the unit without notice and tossing their stuff out, imo, is not the right way to do things, unless you know they are doing something illegal ie grow up, in which case the police need a warrant before they can enter.
I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this, but going into their unit and tossing out their stuff might even land you in trouble with the law.
The RTB has it's uses too as a landlord, but for the most part, their rules gives tenants far too much power.

From what I recall from Grimlock and Dinosaur, even if you go to the RTB because of non-payment, the tenants can live in your unit rent free until the RTB comes out with their decision. Even if they do rule in your favor, do you think those low life dead beats will pay up.
From what I recall, they usually just talk to the tenants and tell them they can move out right away and terminate the rental agreement. You may have to search up their old threads to find their exact post, but I recall it being along this line.
The sooner you get them out, the less damage they can do to your unit. If they know they are on their way out, what's stopping them from ripping open the walls and stealing all the copper and moving out in the middle of the night. Or worse yet, take off and leave behind crappy urine/feces infested furniture that you will have to pay to discard of.

Generally, a property manager isn't going to do shit for you other than what you can do yourself and then get 30% from you. Do your own back ground checks. Ask for references. Heck, google and facebook them. This is stuff a property manager may not do when you use one to rent out your unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #25

A property manager charges around 5%. Also if there stuff ends up on the street when there are not there the police cando nothing about it.