REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Main Street Massacre

So this new game has been all over the news today and its kinda fun!!

Online game shows Skytrain rider gun down people on platform | News1130

http://msm.wildmanindustrie.netdna-cdn.com/

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Someone is playing on all the frustrations caused by the recent service disruptions on SkyTrain by letting you play a disgruntled passenger mowing down people on the platform.

The game is called Main Street Massacre and it’s not going over very well with transit users in Vancouver. It stars a character named “Mack,” a construction worker who’s having a bad day. The cheque cashing store is about to close, and the SkyTrain keeps stopping and starting. Face flushing with anger, he pulls out a gun and that’s when you can start shooting.

Despite a lot of smiles, chuckles and eye-rolls from people along the Broadway corridor, no one really approved.

Brenda doesn’t think it is an appropriate way to vent frustrations about SkyTrain service.

“I’m not a big fan of gory games and this is along the same lines. Any sort of bloodletting or anything like that… I’m not a big fan,” she tells News1130.

“Entertainers, game designers and all these different people should be responsible for what they create and do,” adds Philip. “They’re telling people that it’s okay to do this, and it’s not. It should be against the rules of our society.”

Wildman Industries is listed as the game’s producer, though it’s not clear if it’s a real company.

The game has surfaced several weeks after two major glitches on the SkyTrain left people stranded for a couple of hours.

Transit Police says it is aware of the game and it’s in the process of reviewing it to determine if any “police-related issues come to light.”

TransLink says the game isn’t in the “public interest.”

Expert weighs in

While the game will be criticized by many people, the host of the technology and entertainment show The Electric Playground says it deserves to have the same creative freedom that society grants for violent movies and even ancient plays.

“They’re interactive and yes they let you ‘live’ through some dark stuff,” Victor Lucas says of violent video games. “Some of it’s fantasy, some of it can be hyper real. But I also feel like it’s an art form. Like any art that’s out there in the world, there needs to be an amount of freedom of expression.”

Lucas reference’s Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver and even ancient plays like Oedipus Rex, both of which are largely celebrated in popular culture, despite depicting incredible violence.
Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
was expecting smth better...

Felt like I was back on newgrounds.com

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I'm just surprised the game is gunning down random passengers instead of Translink board and transit workers lol.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
“Entertainers, game designers and all these different people should be responsible for what they create and do,” adds Philip. “They’re telling people that it’s okay to do this, and it’s not. It should be against the rules of our society.”

Uhhh
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
yeah its not bad lol. but as usual the squares are blowing this way out of proportion.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #6

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post

Uhhh
some people are idiots. i didn't read the article, so not sure who this philip fella is, but what a spastic.

just as idiotic as the person that made this game. it would have been good, in 1982 on a commodore 64.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
This reminds me of that Columbine Massacre game from a few years ago. The lack of any factual links between video games and violence in the real world makes me love stories like these. They seem to bring out all the decrying idiots for me to laugh at.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
yeah its not bad lol. but as usual the squares are blowing this way out of proportion.

Also the media is giving this game massive free publicity
Old 08-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #9

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
thats the best part. bet the creator is just sitting back and laughing his face off with all the traffic his site is getting.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
thats the best part. bet the creator is just sitting back and laughing his face off with all the traffic his site is getting.

I should write a book about date rape and make it sound as realistic as possible, if I can get mentioned by the media it will help me get established as a writer

Writing about non-controversial stuff means you have to pay for ads, reviews and basically buy your way into the public consciousness, same thing with games I'd imagine

Skytrain Shooter has probably been seen by at LEAST 10,000 people already today.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
^
Except the game is called Main Street Massacre.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
People caring too much about random shit that they are not obliged to expose themselves to / does not matter in their lives.

This theme of being a moral superhero is getting really fucking tiring, Vancouver, just deal with it.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
People caring too much about random shit that they are not obliged to expose themselves to / does not matter in their lives.

This theme of being a moral superhero is getting really fucking tiring, Vancouver, just deal with it.

Yes but the marketers, advertisers, anyone who makes their living in the media are helping to perpetuate the moral outrage publicity engine because they can use it to help clients.

Transgenderism is fucking hot right now. If I were transgender and wrote a book about discrimination I faced, I bet it would be a hot seller.

Manipulating large groups of people is what anyone in media WANTS to have the power to do.

The designer of this game is brilliant and I'm sure they've made a ton of cash today.

HOLY FUCK:

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...sacre&safe=off

LOOK AT THIS PUBLICITY!!!

Fuck I have to write a book about date raping women, I bet it would outrage people and get coverage
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
blaming video game for violence, if so then wtf was everyone playing before video games were invented

sorry didnt bother to read the article & i assume its just a bunch of idiots blaming video games for everything again

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

of course the main character represents a Surrey Jack
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
blaming video game for violence, if so then wtf was everyone playing before video games were invented
It's funny that this is now the norm.. to blame video games for the youths violence..

Yet I remember my parents always talking about "the days before TV" where they played games... outside Yknow, like with sticks & stones.. Because there was no violence playing games with actual "weapons."
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #17
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Don't forget the big game of our parents generation was Cowboys and Indians... People just like to bitch and complain about every little thing these days and of course the News stations have to get all over it right away since they love to start controversy
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #18
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Fucking naggers

With social media, So many seem to think they're a Guardian of the Galaxy now.

Well they have the social degenerate outcast misfit part right...
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Great job CTV on giving publicity to the game. I really would have never played it if I had not seen it on the news. One thing that disappointed me was how on CTV they said I could start out with hammers and upgrade to crowbars and drills before using guns. Very disappointing. The game wasn't done that well, but it was interesting.

Mack's boots did not look like they were CSA approved steel toes. This game promotes inappropriate footwear on construction sites.

This is just like how the Surrey T-shirt guy made a bunch of "offensive" shirts and the news just gave him a ton of publicity saying how his t-shirts were offensive and bad or whatever. I bet you he sold 10x more shirts after it went on the news.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
classic example of bad publicity is still publicity

pretty shitty game tbh lol i can see why they needed it to be controversial.
no way in hell i would've given this a second thought if it wasn't all over the news
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote