REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Drivers license question

This may be a no brainer but here it goes.

My class 5 license expires Sept.6. I want to get the enhanced but couldn't get an appointment til Sept.9.

I have my class 6N (motorcycle) that doesn't expire til 2015. Are they linked? Do I need to have a valid class 5 for my 6N to be valid?

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on ICBC.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Shouldn't the two licenses have the same expiration date? Mine certainly do..

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #3

Well the motorcycle is only good for 1 year before it expires, because I still have my N

I only have the yellow slip which has nothing about my class 5 expiring on Sept.6
Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
Well the motorcycle is only good for 1 year before it expires, because I still have my N

I only have the yellow slip which has nothing about my class 5 expiring on Sept.6
Oh werd. In that case I have no idea.

Once you have your full license they amalgamate the expiration date of everything to your birthday.

Best bet is to just phone ICBC and ask if you can still ride, without your regular license being valid.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
call in for enhanced appointment, they can sometimes work magic

Ricemond was fully booked for 3 weeks but they sent me to pt grey for an appointment that was in 3 days time.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

I called an sat on hold for half an hour.

My 6N is still valid so I'll be able to ride.

I had no issue with being able to get an an appointment, I just have a conflicting schedule until after my license expires.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

If you're planning to travel to the US frequently, you would be better off just getting a NEXUS card. The fee is about the same, $50 for 5 years, but the NEXUS card allows for the use of those short lines at land borders and expedited transit through customs when travelling by air at select airports (YVR is one of them).

I got an EDL before moving to Vancouver and it saves me exactly zero time when crossing the border.

Getting a NEXUS card does take a while though. Processing time for your initial application is around 2-6 weeks these days, and then you have to reserve an appointment for an in-person interview with CBSA/CBP. Getting an interview slot can take a long time - I think there's like a 3-month wait at YVR - but land borders are much faster. The office at the Pacific crossing is pretty quick I hear.

However, wait until you get your new licence before applying. If any of your supporting documents (passport, drivers' licence) expire during the application wait time I hear it can slow things down a bit.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
If you're planning to travel to the US frequently, you would be better off just getting a NEXUS card. The fee is about the same, $50 for 5 years, but the NEXUS card allows for the use of those short lines at land borders and expedited transit through customs when travelling by air at select airports (YVR is one of them).

I got an EDL before moving to Vancouver and it saves me exactly zero time when crossing the border.

Getting a NEXUS card does take a while though. Processing time for your initial application is around 2-6 weeks these days, and then you have to reserve an appointment for an in-person interview with CBSA/CBP. Getting an interview slot can take a long time - I think there's like a 3-month wait at YVR - but land borders are much faster. The office at the Pacific crossing is pretty quick I hear.

However, wait until you get your new licence before applying. If any of your supporting documents (passport, drivers' licence) expire during the application wait time I hear it can slow things down a bit.
Ive already applied for the nexus card, but have been waiting for my appointment 4 months.

I frequently walk across the border which is why I wanted the EDL. Saves me the hassle of lugging my passport around.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
Benefit of EDL (when you don't have nexus) is that you don't have to have a passport to cross (I believe) Making it easier to "pop" over whenever you like as well.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #10

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
Ive already applied for the nexus card, but have been waiting for my appointment 4 months.

I frequently walk across the border which is why I wanted the EDL. Saves me the hassle of lugging my passport around.
You can check the goes website for cancellations. No point in having an edl if you're going to have a nexus anyway.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

No point getting an EDL now, as you will have to get a new card once you've taken your full Class 6 road test. Why spend the money twice?
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote