REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #151
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,067 Times in 828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Rick Rubin just owned everyone in this challenge...

Rick Rubin ALS Ice Bucket Challenge - YouTube
Gary Roberts and James Harrison already did something similiar

Advertisement

13 Range Rover SC
11 Yukon Hybrid
13 Accord V6 Coupe
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #152
In RS I Trust

Thanked 16,829 Times in 3,951 Posts
Best video I have seen
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #153
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So how does that idiot expect the ALS organization to work? Or any non-profit organization? Someone has to run the damn things, and those people need to get paid for their work. It's not like they're just taking the money and running away with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Some organizations run much more efficiently then others. 7% is a shockingly low number.

I don't know if the numbers he found are tabulated differently then how some sites like charity watch, or charity rating sites add up values.
Of course, there are several of these things circulating the 'net now, claiming all sorts of different small percentages of donations "actually going to research" and stating "we've been duped" and "I've done my own research"... and you nail the problem right here: most people DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE NUMBERS ACTUALLY MEAN.

Snopsing these claims, we find this:
Quote:
Charity Navigator's breakdown of the ALS Association's finances for the fiscal year ending January 2013 shows that 72.4% of the ALS Association's budget during that period was used for program expenses — that is, the programs and services the ALS Association delivers to the ALS community according to its mission, such as professional and public education, research into ALS treatments and cures, and patient and commmunity services. Of the remaining budget, 11% went to administrative expenses and 16.5% to fundraising expenses. It appears that someone confused the term "program expenses" with "overhead" and mistakenly assumed the former represented money spent on bureaucracy rather than the vital ALS-related services provided by the ALS Association.
Read more at snopes.com: Where Do ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Donations Go?
I love how all of these say "do your own research, it's easy to find the truth!" - well apparently not, because YOU'VE managed to miss it:
Charity Navigator Rating - The ALS Association
Quote:
Program Expenses (Percent of the charity’s budget spent on the programs and services it delivers) 72.4%
The ALS Association Debunks Fake News Article that Went Viral - The ALS Association
Quote:
The ALS Association spent 79% of our annual budget on programs and services last year, which includes 28% on research, ONE of three main pillars of our charitable work (see below for breakdown).
Not sure where Assclown there gets 7%... But here's something even more interesting people would find, if they bothered to do a little easy research beyond just finding random internet articles that support their own prejudices:

Quote:
If a donor would like 100% of their donation to go to research, he/she can simply check a box on our online donation form here. If a donor already donated and would like to redirect their donation, please email us at donations@alsa-national.org.
Quote:
Should have known, this is what you get when you try and defend the point of some dumbass who posted a video on worldstar for christ sake.
That's the only clue you need.

Quote:
The guy mentions 7% because that is all that went directly to research. What this clown ass guy neglected to mention how another 63% went towards actually helping communities affected by ALS, and those who have the disease.
I doubt he neglected to mention this... so much as he neglected to consider it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
She'll probably kill me for putting it up on here, but I think my friend has all you beat.
More pics of friend!

On a cheerier note:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=808791272474319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #154
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I think I already made the best argument... This is Harlem Shuffle 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #155
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,514 Times in 700 Posts
Old 09-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #156
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 17,631 Times in 5,339 Posts
Here's a good post about the subject, bringing up some things I hadn't even considered (I'll highlight them below): StormWrestling.com - Commentary

Quote:
I've finally been challenged to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge (IBC). Well actually I've been "Nominated" twice in fact, by people who apparently don't understand the difference between a Challenge vs. a Nomination. That may be a silly point but considering "Challenge" is right there in the name it drives me nuts that most people seem to get this concept wrong.

Enough picking of nits, there is some serious business afoot that needs to be addressed. Until I was challenged personally I've been content to sit on the side lines biting my tongue happy to stay out of this whole deal. I'm not a fan of beating my head against the wall, and I fear what I am about to say will amount to little more. Like many of you I have clicked on and watched many of the IBC videos. We have done so no doubt because they are very entertaining, and in there lays the rub.

These videos are, for the most part just entertainment. They entertain those who watch, offer a placebo effect of doing good to the person who does them, and generates a whole bunch of money for people who don't suffer from ALS. I know this won't be a popular view, which is why I've stayed out of it as long as I could, but now that I've been called out, I'm going to speak my mind. Anyone who knows me knows I'd rather be right than popular any day, which may explain my rather small circle of friends, so here I go.

There are three basic flaws in this IBC (Or the upcoming Pink-Tober & Mo-Vember campaigns) and it is not until you get to that final third fatal flaw that this whole thing falls apart. This is probably by design because as long as no one looks too deeply everyone can live in denial and just feel good about themselves. Yes I realize that most people involved in this mean well and have good intentions, but a lot of false hope was built on good intentions and when people are suffering from diseases and people are giving away their hard earned money, false hope and good intentions don't really amount to much.

The first flaw is that a lot of people taking up this challenge are just doing creative videos of themselves dumping water on their heads as a vanity project to get attention and pat themselves on the back for all the good they are doing, despite not donating a single penny. The excuse or denial here is "Well at least we are creating awareness, look at the national donations, they are way up". Way to pass the buck. I'm sure you're individual video was the one that made the difference. For those who did in fact donate or are pacified with the "I've created awareness" we then have the second flaw.

What is the ALSA doing with all of this money? The truth is the vast majority of the money you are donating is not going towards research and finding a cure for ALS. The numbers are disputed somewhat. I've heard people claim as low as 7% is going towards research and the ALSA claims that number is closer to 27%. Lets for the sake of convenience and benefit of the doubt, use 25%. Three quarters of the money you donate to help find a cure isn't going where you want it to. Most of it is going towards "Awareness and Education", which could be translated to be read "Advertising and Promotions" to ensure more money gets donated so they can again put only one quarter of it towards what they are claiming it's for in their promotion and advertising. It is a deceitful cycle that keeps a lot of people employed earning great livings while delivering very little of the money donated to the cause they are promoting. To this we offer ourselves the excuse, "Well 25% is better than nothing, that is still a lot of money, and someone has to run these charities" To this I offer you the popular concept of cutting out the middle man. Why are we donating to these Charity groups that only deliver a small percentage of our donations to the research groups? Why not donate directly to the people that are actually doing the work, the people trying to discover treatments and cures?

This is the third and final flaw. The reason we don't donate directly is because then we would discover that the portion of our donation that isn't going towards salaries and advertising, that 25% that we think is actually doing good, is going into the pockets of Big Pharma. Yes the pharmaceutical companies are getting your money. You are giving your money to some of the biggest, richest, most profitable companies in the world. You are helping cover the cost of their research and development programs to allow them to make higher profits. You are not financing new research, this is research they are already doing. This is how they make their money after all. They create new drugs to treat diseases, and when they find a new treatment they patent it and sell it back to you at a huge profit.

Think about that for a minute. Millions upon millions of dollars are being GIVEN to a company to help find a cure or treatment of a disease and if they find a cure/treatment, the people you GAVE that money to will then patent that cure and sell it back to you at a huge profit. Wait...What...profit? I thought we donated to Charity, a non-profit organization. Oh right that's another reason why we don't donate directly to the people doing the research if we did they wouldn't be able to claim it as a non-profit or a charity, and they are creating these drugs with the sole intention of making profits, hundreds or millions of dollars in profits. Yes your good intentioned donations, or at least the part that isn't going towards salaries and advertising, that huge 25% of it, is going towards increasing the profit margins of some of the richest most profitable companies in the world. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think I will end my rant here because I don't want to get started on all of the harm Big Pharma is doing to our medical system. If you've been to the doctor in the last decade you've no doubt already discovered that doctors no longer treat patients, they prescribe drugs to them. If you go to a doctor because you are experiencing severe back pain, the first course of action is to prescribe painkillers. A good Dr. if you are lucky enough to find one of the good ones, will also advice you that weight loss and exercise to reduce the strain on your back and strengthen your core would probably solve your problems completely, but unfortunately most people are too lazy for that and would rather just fill their prescriptions.

And with that we've come full circle and found the root of the problem, laziness; one of the original seven deadly sins: Sloth. It's far easier to just dump a bucket of ice water on your head, wear a pink ribbon in October, or grow a silly moustache in November, than it is to look a little closer and find out that there is a huge problem with the system. While I have not looked as closely as I probably should have, thanks to my friend Paul Lazenby, my eyes are at least open. I will not be accepting the Ice Bucket Challenge, because I do not wish to give my money to Big Pharma and since I have no need to stroke my ego by doing a fun video to illustrate what a great guy I am, I don't see the point.

That said I will be looking into finding an ALS related charity that actually helps those suffering from the disease and donate my $100 to them. If that proves too hard a task I will just go out and find someone who is suffering from the disease and give them my $100.

In closing I would just like to clarify that my intent was not to damn those who have taken part in the IBC or other charity fund raisers. Most of you, as I stated earlier, mean well, I'm just suggesting that if you really want to make a difference, good intentions alone don't really accomplish much.

I look forward to your letters and email,
Lance
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #157
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,573 Posts
sitting in a bucket of fresh ice might be a little colder, but along the same lines as i never accepted it as a "challenge" lol :

Old 09-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #158
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

This chemist used liquid nitrogen. Educational because he explained how he survived lol.

Chemist uses liquid nitrogen instead of ice in ALS bucket challenge
NikLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #159
Banned (ABWS)

Only in America

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=732346336812739
Shark Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #160
GS8
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,103 Posts
No ice bucket challenge for Ebola?

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #161
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,028 Times in 287 Posts
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #162
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 8,232 Times in 3,265 Posts
Looks like this ice bucket thing may have led to a death. No proof, just my suspicion, but Joan Rivers dies after a heart attack during a surgical procedure. She's 81 years old. Sheesh............. why court death?

Joan Rivers Completes Ice Bucket Challenge with Help From.... Tara Reid? - BWWTVWorld

RIP, Rivers. Lived a full life. Pissed off many people and eventually it took its toll. Lesson number one.......... don't piss off Johnny Carson.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #163
MG1

Don't know why the fail, but she was having surgury done on her vocal chords when she suffered the heart attack.

I don't know about you guys, but ice bucket thing can't be good for anyone. Coaches have always hated gatorade showers. George Allen, football coach may have died from the result of a gatorade shower.

Quote:
Allen's death may have been indirectly caused by a Gatorade shower. He died on December 31, 1990, from ventricular fibrillation in his home in Palos Verdes Estates, California, at the age of 72. Shortly before his death, Allen noted that he had not been feeling well since some of his Long Beach State players dumped a Gatorade bucket filled with ice water on him following a season-ending victory over the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on November 17, 1990 (he remarked that the university couldn't afford actual Gatorade).
Old 09-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #164
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Looks like this ice bucket thing may have led to a death. No proof, just my suspicion, but Joan Rivers dies after a heart attack during a surgical procedure. She's 81 years old. Sheesh............. why court death?

Joan Rivers Completes Ice Bucket Challenge with Help From.... Tara Reid? - BWWTVWorld

RIP, Rivers. Lived a full life. Pissed off many people and eventually it took its toll. Lesson number one.......... don't piss off Johnny Carson.
heard she was having more plastic surgery done when a complication occurred

who cares? bitch was evil...she said palestinian children were stupid and deserved to be bombed to death...wtf? wth says that? or even believes kids deserve to be killed? that was her last public outing that i heard of before she died...karma
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #165
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 17,631 Times in 5,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Don't know why the fail, but she was having surgury done on her vocal chords when she suffered the heart attack.

I don't know about you guys, but ice bucket thing can't be good for anyone. Coaches have always hated gatorade showers. George Allen, football coach may have died from the result of a gatorade shower.
Fail was for saying her death was caused by the ice bucket challenge...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #166
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,467 Times in 559 Posts
Dies rich at 81. Yup karma sure told her.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Dies rich at 81. Yup karma sure told her.
karma as in she died like 2? weeks after saying that

but i guess her comments are expected for the entertainment industries first troll

back on topic this is making the waves

Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #168
MG1

^sapphire crystal display, yo............

Does the iPhone 6 have an IP rating? Nvm, it's just tough and scratch resistant. Not water or dust proof. Although, my iPhone survived a drop into the toilet, lol.

Last edited by MG1; 09-05-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #169

thought this was cool for any Karate Kid fans well... Cobra Kai fans

This post thanked by: