REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   ICBC Transfer of Ownership PST rate and being overcharged. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697518-icbc-transfer-ownership-pst-rate-being-overcharged.html)

Kalize 04-09-2015 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8621007)
When I bought my Husky, I claimed I only paid $500. They asked why, and I said it needed work. They said okay, no major justification needed.

My bike didn't need any work and then I declared its value at $4K when I insured it. I did get a new paint job but it was like a $300 job.

Lol. Hopefully the government hasn't read what you just typed. They do check everything you declare. Wait for the letter in the mail.

lowside67 04-10-2015 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theurgy1 (Post 8520321)
You evidently haven't read my latest post.
I got a retraction from the MoF and as such have to settle the difference by submitting a casual remittance to pay the outstanding taxes.

It was a fluke and sadly I lost.

I still think that paying 12% taxes on any used vehicle is a load of crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8621333)
any updates? is ICBC paying back overcharged tax?

Maybe you should actually read the whole thread before posting.

Zordon 04-10-2015 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 8620959)
Oh man ... am considering buying a used car and just found out that there is no tax advantage if you buy through personal or dealer. This was a quiet thing when we went through the GST PST kerfuffle. 12% on used car is really BS!

Besides the tax, an advantage of going through private is that you don't have to pay the used car dealer's documentation fee. I was dinged $500 when i bought my Cube.

whitev70r 04-10-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zordon (Post 8621907)
Besides the tax, an advantage of going through private is that you don't have to pay the used car dealer's documentation fee. I was dinged $500 when i bought my Cube.

Isn't that negotiable into the final price? What exactly is documentation fee? Carfax, Lien search, etc.? I've seen it from $399-$500. Or is it to cover the paperwork? At one time, the profit margin covered the salesperson's precious time to do this. Can someone who sells cars school me and convince me why this is worth it going through a dealer.

Dragon-88 04-10-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalize (Post 8621847)
Lol. Hopefully the government hasn't read what you just typed. They do check everything you declare. Wait for the letter in the mail.

You can't trace cash deals.. :toot:

und3f3at3d 04-10-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8622037)
You can't trace cash deals.. :toot:

Only if both parties are careful about it, if they see the buyer withdraw 10,000 then the seller deposits 10,000 within a short time frame of the transfer papers then youre gonna hvae a hard time explaining

But of course if you space the withdrawals and deposits apart then it would be much more difficult...