REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Wedding vendors

Hey everyone, I'm hoping you guys can recommend some vendors for a wedding coming up in November in the downtown area. Specifically, we are looking for:
- decoration rentals (ie center pieces, chair covers/sashes)
- florist
- photographer
- dj
- tux rental

Any suggestions, please let me know. Looking for good value and quality!

Thanks
Advertisement
canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Use social media, listen to your future wife, say yes to most things.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
look for moores for tux rental. sometimes they have a promo of rent x get 1 free rental.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,392 Times in 5,087 Posts
I just got married so used a few... for flowers hit up Kathleen at prolinetrading.com she is a wholesaler to all the stores in Vancouver you would normally go to for quotes... just deal directly with her for a huge discount over those places. She's pretty abrupt at times but totally a pro and been doing this for a long time.

For photo booth if you're getting one I used pixelbooth.ca they had a crapload of costumes and masks, super easy to work with!

Please note I have no affiliation with either of these businesses... but I did use them for my wedding a month ago and would recommend both.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

i used proline trading for my dads funeral, and my wedding 2 months ago as well. I will continue to use them as long as they are in business.

my best advice? get a wedding planner. ours hooked us up with massive deals with her vendors. saved us the hassle of looking them up ourselves (some were cheaper than my own vendors I would've sworn were cheaper) if you want to pm me I can let you know who I used.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
^^
Agreed.

I recently got married in January and had 2 months to plan (shotgun wedding). It was on a small scale so we tried doing it ourselves. After hours and hours of research on the internet, calling various places for quotes etc etc we were suddenly only a few weeks away with nothing more than a venue booked. Seeing my wife working hard away I then realized my co-worker does wedding planning as a side gig. I asked her for assistance and within 3 hours she was firing off emails to me with pictures of things she found, quotes etc. She accomplished in 3 hours more than what my wife and I did in 5 weeks. She has the experience, already knew the companies so it was a piece of cake for her. She saved us and it made things so much easier.

Consider it, a wedding planner doesn't have to be expensive. The benefits can be amazing. I'm not sure if it's you Op that's getting married or a friend. If it's you, congrats!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
whatever you do, don't click into the following thread

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69286...-planning.html
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I got married last month

Chairs with Flair
Chairs with Flair | Transforming Vancouver wedding venues with chair covers, since 1994
Petroula is very nice and helpful, and she has good prices, and her quality is great

Flowers: PM me, I have a family friend who did our wedding and it was INCREDIBLE. Everyone loved the flowers. She does centrepieces as well

Photobooth: We went with Flipbook
Vancouver Flipbook
TOTAL HIT, everyone LOVED IT

Tuxedo:
OMG GO HERE:
I lived 2 blocks away from here for 25 freaking years of my life, and never went inside. They have used tuxedos and suits for sale for like $150, it's INSANE. The owner buys out entire wedding shops that go out of business, I'm not kidding they have THOUSANDS of dresses and suits. My wife got a brand new dress that retailed $800 for only $400. I got my 2nd tuxedo (formal one, with tails) for $150 out the door.

If you take one piece of advice from me, go there.

Also, I got my first tuxedo from EXPRESS online, it was 40% off. Got a killer deal
Express | Shop Men's and Women's Clothing

DJ: Mixed my own music

GET A WEDDING PLANNER
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Friend used Mathias Fast for his wedding. Great shots and he was awesome to be around and chat with. I think he was with them from 10am until close to midnight.

https://www.facebook.com/mathiasfastphotography
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
I got married last month

Chairs with Flair
Chairs with Flair | Transforming Vancouver wedding venues with chair covers, since 1994
Petroula is very nice and helpful, and she has good prices, and her quality is great

Flowers: PM me, I have a family friend who did our wedding and it was INCREDIBLE. Everyone loved the flowers. She does centrepieces as well

Photobooth: We went with Flipbook
Vancouver Flipbook
TOTAL HIT, everyone LOVED IT

Tuxedo:
OMG GO HERE:
I lived 2 blocks away from here for 25 freaking years of my life, and never went inside. They have used tuxedos and suits for sale for like $150, it's INSANE. The owner buys out entire wedding shops that go out of business, I'm not kidding they have THOUSANDS of dresses and suits. My wife got a brand new dress that retailed $800 for only $400. I got my 2nd tuxedo (formal one, with tails) for $150 out the door.

If you take one piece of advice from me, go there.

Also, I got my first tuxedo from EXPRESS online, it was 40% off. Got a killer deal
Express | Shop Men's and Women's Clothing

DJ: Mixed my own music

GET A WEDDING PLANNER
I live in that neighborhood there too and in need of a tux too for upcoming wedding. Will definitely check out.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I got married last week and used Smallfry Media Photobooths | Vancouver Photobooth Rentals

Flowers - Just whatever was in my garden and Queen Elizabeth Park.

DJ - I hired an indie rock band.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
all this talk about wedding planners has me curious

i have my wedding planned for 2016 (long ways off so not too much planned out just an overview/rough draft of what we want). I know that putting things together is a pain in the ass but we've always been intimidated by the potential price of hiring a wedding planner.

Roughly how much are wedding planners? I'm not going with a big wedding, budget is $15K give or take $2k. Would it be worth it to get a wedding planner if its for a smaller wedding?
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
DJ - I hired an indie rock band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
are you a hipster or someshit?
congrats, hipster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Roughly how much are wedding planners? I'm not going with a big wedding, budget is $15K give or take $2k. Would it be worth it to get a wedding planner if its for a smaller wedding?
+1 also interested in the response to this.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:

i have my wedding planned for 2016 (long ways off so not too much planned out just an overview/rough draft of what we want). I know that putting things together is a pain in the ass but we've always been intimidated by the potential price of hiring a wedding planner.

The price could vary depending on what you need them to do. Do you need them to only do the planning? Do you need them to be there the day of and run the show? Lots to consider, it could cost you as little $500 or run a couple grand. Again, all varies but it wouldn't hurt to start looking into the cost so at least you know ahead of time.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #15

My wedding planner were church friends of ours, so yea, no help there

If you get friends to be your wedding planner, make sure they're extremely organized and patient and good with followups
Old 08-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:

No. Wedding planners from what I encountered costs around $1000 and up. If your budget is only $15k, don't bother, as your money is better spent elsewhere. (videographer, photographer).

You have lots of time. Did mine with my wife in 8.5 months.

Also, keep extra cash available. Depending on where and how you want to do it, it might cost more than what you think.

That liquidators on Renfrew is cheap but quality is a little off. Some of the men's clothes are very worn out. Dresses? They have lots of choices but you really have to dig deep for it. If your fiancee is the type that doesn't mind, go for it. (props to her being frugal!) If not, you have lots of choices at wedding gown places in New West that sells for $600-$1500.

So for Tux, i went to the tux store. $200 per person, 5th was free. Comes with everything except underwear.

PM me if you have more questions.

A little advice after going to so many weddings. Photographers are usually a must but they are always the first to get hired. A videographer is very important. Just having the videos footage of your big day to look back on to is worth every penny. I've seen some friends who didn't bother and we would talk about how great of a wedding it was but then we only had photos and no videos to watch.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #17

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Try out this place: Natural Image Weddings - Home

One of my friends got the owner to help him with wedding planning and decorations.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Yup, she's frugal (+1 for me!) and doesn't mind too much about dress price and all that so long as its decent.

that tux deal would be great since i'm plannin on having 4 groomsmen

will definitely pm if any specific questions pop up.

videographer never really crossed my mind, for some reason I thought that'd be packaged with the photography.
I do want video footage of the big day.
What kinda of $ figures am I looking at with regards to a photographer/videographer?
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
You know, Go-Pros are really affordable these days, and with whatever a videographer costs, I'd take the money and get a bunch of GPs, and strap them to the wedding party or strap it to guests in exchange for open bar .
Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
I HERP TO YOU DERP

got mananetwork aka tomasz to photograph my wedding cant say enough good things about his work and service for us
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Yup, she's frugal (+1 for me!) and doesn't mind too much about dress price and all that so long as its decent.

videographer never really crossed my mind, for some reason I thought that'd be packaged with the photography.
What kinda of $ figures am I looking at with regards to a photographer/videographer?
Balling man, my sister got married last year and they speant 10k on that alone and that was with a family friends discount already. It was a team of 3 people and they did final editing the day of to include the festivaties from the morning in the video. I must admit, they were awesome, the pictures and video turned out great as well.

I also had 2 other friends who got married and they both speant around 8K on it. I never had any idea how balling it was until I heard these numbers. Spoke to a friend who's a photographer and yup, thousands. Of course it doesn't mean they all cost close to 10K but just giving you an idea that it wouldn't be abnormal if someone quoted you like 7 or 8K

Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:

She's a keeper! Congrats. But just talk to her. See what she likes and all. You know girls talk to other girls and they compare and shit. Just don't want to see you years after you guys got married and one little argument leads to oh my wedding dress was x amount and if I was like her, i can pay x amount more... call the extra money insurance to save your own ass down the road.

rarely do photographers and videographers be packaged.

photographers from my experience including engagement shoots and all. - $3000-$10k. (remember to ask them what time do they leave. I personally hate it when I see the dinner barely half way done and they go oh my time is up. WTF?!?)

videographers - $3000-5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
You know, Go-Pros are really affordable these days, and with whatever a videographer costs, I'd take the money and get a bunch of GPs, and strap them to the wedding party or strap it to guests in exchange for open bar .
Thought of the same idea! lol fyi Gopros can be "returned"...
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #23

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
For added entertainment, give 'em to all the single guys and gals at your wedding and make sure they are nice and drunk at the open bar
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #24
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Thought of the same idea! lol fyi Gopros can be "returned"...
Thanks! Forgot to mention that you can get your money back. Worst case, sell them used. Either way, you're saving $$$ compared to a videographer.

GP Wedding ideas:
Quote:
1. Hide a camera in the flower bouquet of either the Bride or the bridesmaid. Both offer a unique view first person point of view of the wedding day, including getting prepared, the ceremony and the wedding breakfast.
2. Give a camera to the Best Man for the day. This will offer a unique view of the whole day from the grooms side.
3. Place a camera at the end of the top table. This camera will capture all the speeches. Sometimes the best part of a wedding day.
4.Attach a camera to the wedding car. This will capture the arrival of the bride to the wedding. The GoPro is perfect for attaching to anything so try some unique angles.
5. Place a cmaera at the door. You can capture all the guests arriving in their 'Sunday Best' before they enter. (Why not put one by the door as they leave later that night. See the transformation!)
6. Attach a camera to your official photographer. Everyone at some point will have their photo taken by them, so capture this moment with a small video clip
Be creative and you will be able to create yourself a cheap DIY wedding video.

Last edited by Presto; 08-19-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #25

If you're going frugal, I would suggest cutting out unnecessary stuff

Think about it a year later - will people actually remember the chair covers and centerpieces? Probably not! Then cut them out of the budget

I also rented a slushie machine for my wedding, price was pretty reasonable
Vancouver Casino & Event Rentals - Houle Games & Entertainment Rentals
About $170 for a day, but doesn't include the flavor mixes.