REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Burger King in talks to purchase Tim Horton's (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697658-burger-king-talks-purchase-tim-hortons.html)

Presto 08-24-2014 06:41 PM

Burger King in talks to purchase Tim Horton's

Quote:

OAKVILLE, Ont. (NEWS1130) – Burger King is in talks to buy Tim Hortons Inc. (TSX: THI) and form a new publicly listed company that would be based in Canada.

They said in a statement Sunday night that Canada would be the largest market of the combined company.

The statement said 3G Capital, the majority owner of Burger King, would continue to own the majority of the shares of the new company on a pro forma basis, with the remainder held by existing shareholders of Tim Hortons and Burger King.

The companies say Ontario-based Tim Hortons and Miami-based Burger King would operate as standalone brands.

The statement adds that the new corporation would be the world’s third-largest quick service restaurant company, with approximately $22 billion in system sales and over 18,000 restaurants in 100 countries worldwide.

The companies say they will not comment further unless there is a deal.
Anyone have THI stock? ;)

Timpo 08-24-2014 07:23 PM

I'd be tempted to purchase some shares but the thing about stock market is always unpredictable... :(

as we know things like this happen all the time in business world but it doesn't always raise the stock value.

flagella 08-24-2014 08:54 PM

^well no shit.

murd0c 08-24-2014 08:57 PM

I really wonder what would happen with the deal with Wendy's then

Marshall Placid 08-24-2014 10:39 PM

The following are my opinions only:

Not a good idea.

BK, I believe, went public in 2012 for the THIRD time.

This is a bad deal for Tim Hortons, but a solid one for BK if it goes through, pending approval from a lot of stakeholders, and a lot depends on the price and terms.

For Tim Hortons, I believe it should focus on its core food items (coffee, pastries, etc.), and purchase a similar company in the USA (Dunkin Donuts?), rather than merging or having BK takeover.

westopher 08-24-2014 11:03 PM

Ugh, I wish both would just either not exist, or just be better. Such wastes of space.

SkinnyPupp 08-24-2014 11:04 PM

If this increases the chances of there being a Tim Horton's in my location (BK has a presence here and throughout asia), I am all for it :thumbs:

StylinRed 08-24-2014 11:05 PM

isnt bk floundering?

seems like a bad deal for timmies well unless of course theres a nice payday

josayeee 08-24-2014 11:31 PM

I read another article saying BK was going to get some huge tax break in the US by making themselves a Canadian company. I don't think it's a good sign for BK if this is the main reason for the merger.

Tim Budong 08-24-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8520837)
If this increases the chances of there being a Tim Horton's in my location (BK has a presence here and throughout asia), I am all for it :thumbs:

one part of canada a lot of people seem to miss living overseas...no matter how crappy their Coffee is.

Timmys has become a big part of what Canada is

SkinnyPupp 08-24-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthchilli (Post 8520855)
one part of canada a lot of people seem to miss living overseas...no matter how crappy their Coffee is.

Timmys has become a big part of what Canada is

I just miss being able to get decent donuts... Krispy Kreme was here for a white but for some reason they didn't do well enough... This is despite there being consistently huge lineups at all their other locations in Asia, so it's weird...

multicartual 08-24-2014 11:41 PM

Last time I had burger king it was fucking disgusting!!!

Wendy's is basically the best fast food you can get, IMO

Burger King is actually worse than McDonald's. Clown food is already basically poison, but Burger King is like poorly served poison.

Fuck I had a whopper at the Granville street location and I couldn't finish it. I gave it to a drunk who had his head down on a table.

SoNaRWaVe 08-25-2014 12:08 AM

not an expert here, but in my general opinion i think this is a bad move for Tim Hortons.

their branding power is much much superior than BK. i fear that if BK takes on Tim Hortons, Tim Hortons will cease to exist :(

Manic! 08-25-2014 01:04 AM

Tim Hortons is almost maxed out in Canada and wants to expand around the world. Burger King is a way bigger company and has the knowledge man power and connections around the world to help them with that. This might not be a good deal for the customers but is a good deal for the shareholders and that's all that matters.

Timpo 08-25-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8520857)
Last time I had burger king it was fucking disgusting!!!

Wendy's is basically the best fast food you can get, IMO

Burger King is actually worse than McDonald's. Clown food is already basically poison, but Burger King is like poorly served poison.

Fuck I had a whopper at the Granville street location and I couldn't finish it. I gave it to a drunk who had his head down on a table.

Well I think Burger King sells worst coffee.
I think they might have switched to Seattle's Best Coffee by now but it used to be super disgusting thing that didn't even taste like coffee.

Timpo 08-25-2014 01:21 AM

Btw I think Burger King's Burger and fries taste better than McDonald's.

Timpo 08-25-2014 01:23 AM

oh yeah, and A&W sucks.

Their website sucks too.

Difference between Canadian A&W and Japanese A&W.

Canadian: Welcome to A&W Food Services of Canada Inc.
American: A&W Restaurants | A&W® All American Food
JDM: A&W??

Bouncing Bettys 08-25-2014 03:03 AM

I remember when Tim's would actually freshly bake their doughnuts on-site. There was a pleasant bakery smell when you entered. Presently: their food tastes like shit, the ice capps give me instant liquid shits, and they seem to have a policy of hiring unattractive women. Last I read, their food isn't even produced by canadian companies. It can fuck off to the rest of the world, but thanks for the free wifi.

7seven 08-25-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josayeee (Post 8520853)
I read another article saying BK was going to get some huge tax break in the US by making themselves a Canadian company. I don't think it's a good sign for BK if this is the main reason for the merger.

Yup, tax inversion, this is a growing trend in the US lately with a lot of major corporations with non-US operations/revenues, moving their headquarters overseas/offshore, resulting in lower tax revenues for the US on a State and Federal level, it's also costing jobs with major head offices moving offshore. Shifting their head offices offshore removes the companies offshore revenues/profits from the US tax rate when those profits/revenues become repatriated by the US headquartered company. IMO the US has to really lower its corporate tax rates and make it more friendly to do business in the US, as generating jobs I think would be of a greater benefit than the % of tax revenues lost.

Quote:

Business commentator Michael Hlinka said on CBC Toronto's Metro Morning on Monday that Burger King may be making a "tax inversion" play with this move.

The basic U.S. corporate tax rate is about 35 per cent, while Canada's, depending on the province, is around 26 per cent.

"There's that extra nine per cent of value that they're right now giving away," said Hlinka.

By merging with a Canadian company and setting up a head office in Canada, U.S. companies can achieve significant tax savings, Hlinka said.

Tim Hortons, Burger King: What's behind the potential merger - Business - CBC News

GS8 08-25-2014 08:46 AM

I fucking hate Tim Horton's.

I go there very rarely and it's usually just for a quick breakfast. Well it should be quick.

Their new slogan should be

'Always language barrier. Always fucked up order'

Hondaracer 08-25-2014 09:13 AM

Lol you guys got some problems with Tim's

Rarely ever have problems and the one I frequent the most the ladies couldn't be nicer

Also I love the people who hate on Tim's or say that it isn't even coffee yet love Starbucks. Unless your getting fresh beans and grinding them on a daily basis you're drinking shit coffee either way and it comes down to a preferance. Personally I find all of Starbucks roasts disgusting.

Presto 08-25-2014 09:28 AM

Having a Timmy's breakfast sandwich, right now. It is awesome. I wish they still had the Jalapeno version.

StylinRed 08-25-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys (Post 8520885)
I remember when Tim's would actually freshly bake their doughnuts on-site.

you mean they don't anymore?! (havent been inside one in years...decades even)

SoNaRWaVe 08-25-2014 09:47 AM

only thing i like about tim hortons is their crispy chicken, apple fritters, and their double doubles. i rarely order anything else there but every time, the service seems to be fairly good.

coffee is a huge industry and it all comes down to winning people's loyalty. i personally prefer a shop that can be consistent with their coffee. but that has yet to happen. its always different wherever you go no matter what chain you visit.

Tapioca 08-25-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8520922)
Lol you guys got some problems with Tim's

Rarely ever have problems and the one I frequent the most the ladies couldn't be nicer

Also I love the people who hate on Tim's or say that it isn't even coffee yet love Starbucks. Unless your getting fresh beans and grinding them on a daily basis you're drinking shit coffee either way and it comes down to a preferance. Personally I find all of Starbucks roasts disgusting.

Once you make your own coffee, it's hard to go back. I grind the beans every morning and brew them in my French press. I have an insulated mug and I have the best coffee in my office at a fraction of the cost of the swill at Tim Hortons.

Hell, the vaccum packed Lavazza that I use to make Americanos with my manual espresso machine tastes better than 90% coffee sold at coffee shops.

Starbucks blond is palatable without sugar and dairy. Tim Hortons black tastes like shit, but with sugar and cream, it's a sugary drink, like pop.