REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwg View Post
If the ring is good condition and from well known brand, you might try an auction house in Canada. Rings in the 5 figure range sell for decent prices while rings in the 6 figure range sell for significant discount in Canada as most buyers are dealers and resellers so best to contact Sotheby or Christies auction in US to sell those.

If you can provide more info, that would allow us to help you. E.g. What is the size, clarity, cut of the diamond? Is there a GIA certificate for it? A princess cut diamond is much easier to sell than a pear shaped one. A top quality diamond is easier to sell than ones with high incisions and color typically found in mall jewelry stores.
I don't...unless it's in absolute mind condition, not many guys would want to give their women used Harry Winston rings..
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #27
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 8,232 Times in 3,265 Posts
I cringe every time I hear those dumbass Spence Diamonds ads. Want to punt that weirdo clear into yesterday.

Some girls are just glad to be with their man and the diamond doesn't have to shine. Twinkle in a happy woman's eye is worth more than any diamond. Then again there are those who measure shit with what they wear, drive, etc. Nuff said. Also, live within means - money problems always lead to unhappiness. Find a woman that is level headed and down to earth.

Yeah, pretty off topic, but those Spence Diamonds ads just piss me off so much, lol.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #28
VLS Head Mod

If whoever I decided to marry was able to get a smokin deal on an awesome ring I would be stoked, who cares if its previously owned. The bad luck you perceive it to have is in your own mind and that may cause the bad luck to follow you. Just see it as a beautiful thing for a great deal and the money saved can go towards a number of other things.

Think about it, spend $1000 for a smaller less fancy ring (I'd be fine with that too as its about the marriage, not the bling) or spend $1000 for a previously owned ring that's worth $2000.

Then again I'm not like a lot of women and don't care about the material things when picking a partner lol
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I cringe every time I hear those dumbass Spence Diamonds ads. Want to punt that weirdo clear into yesterday.
Went ring shopping there before with my brother in law. Looking at replica diamonds instead of the real thing absolutely spoiled the whole experience.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,665 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Find a woman that is level headed and down to earth.

I had to date a woman 12 years older than me to find this
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #31
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,162 Posts
Quote:

Some girls are just glad to be with their man and the diamond doesn't have to shine. Twinkle in a happy woman's eye is worth more than any diamond. Then again there are those who measure shit with what they wear, drive, etc. Nuff said. Also, live within means - money problems always lead to unhappiness. Find a woman that is level headed and down to earth.

Yeah, pretty off topic, but those Spence Diamonds ads just piss me off so much, lol.
My girlfriend would be more likely to break up with me than say yes if I spent a pile of money on a stupid rock (strange as it may sound I already know what she wants, no diamonds and it's sub $1k). It really shouldn't matter what you buy, back in the day people used to get engaged with basically anything, the whole diamond ring thing was just some bullshit ad 100 years ago that stuck. So is the 3 months salary thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
Rs has made me the man i am today!

why sell it? just give it to the next one
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,665 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
the whole diamond ring thing was just some bullshit ad 100 years ago that stuck. So is the 3 months salary thing.
Well no...

Marriage used to be more of a partnership for survival, providing children that would take care of the parents yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah

The 3 month salary thing was to help the woman support herself if the husband died, she could sell the ring and feed kids, etc etc blah blah
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #34

ok so out of 7 billion people on this planet, how many percent of people actually have the notion of engagement ring with platinum/diamond?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Well no...

Marriage used to be more of a partnership for survival, providing children that would take care of the parents yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah

The 3 month salary thing was to help the woman support herself if the husband died, she could sell the ring and feed kids, etc etc blah blah
ok fuck that shit, 3 month thing was probably jewelry companies trying to sell more expensive jewelries.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #36
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,408 Times in 668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
ok fuck that shit, 3 month thing was probably jewelry companies trying to sell more expensive jewelries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #37
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Well no...

Diamonds Are Bullshit

Just gonna leave this here
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Well no...

Nope, it was a De Beers ad from the 30's. The children caring for the parents I think is more of an Asian culture thing (but I could be wrong).

BBC News - De Beers myth: Do people spend a month's salary on a diamond engagement ring?

Quote:
The idea was embedded in popular culture in the West by an advertising drive from the De Beers diamond cartel that started in the lean years of the 1930s. The Depression was a disaster for De Beers, which controlled 60% of rough diamond output. De Beers embarked on what it now describes as a "substantial" campaign, linking diamonds with engagement.

Prior to the 1930s, presenting a woman with a diamond engagement ring was not the norm. Even on the eve of World War Two, a mere 10% of engagement rings contained diamonds. By the end of the 20th Century, 80% did.

In the 1930s, at the start of the De Beers campaign, a single month's salary was the suggested ring spend. In the 1980s in the US, it became two months. One advert featured a pouting woman, a scarf, a finger, a diamond ring and the words: "Two months' salary showed the future Mrs Smith what the future would be like."

Another did away with the woman, the pout and the finger, leaving only a diamond ring against a black background and the question: "How can you make two months' salary last forever?"

Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #39
VLS Head Mod

^^ that's what I posted

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #40
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,408 Times in 668 Posts
It's also in the video I posted lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 AM   #41

Who started this engagement ring culture?

I know that engagement ring doesn't exist in Asia and Africa. I know in Japan they go give their wives engagement rings because they're very Westernized, but traditionally there wasn't engagement ring.

What about South America? probably not? Maybe somewhere in Europe?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 AM   #42

oh fuck looks like Egyptians and Greeks are to blame for starting this trend.
Engagement ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #43

The Irish are the ones that got this shit right (never thought I'd say that about the Irish), with the Claddagh Ring

Quote:
The way that a Claddagh ring is worn on the hand is usually intended to convey the wearer's romantic availability, or lack thereof.
Traditionally, if the ring is on the right hand with the heart facing outward and away from the body, this indicates that the person wearing the ring is not in any serious relationship, and may in fact be single and looking for a relationship: "their heart is open."
When worn on the right hand but with the heart facing inward toward the body, this indicates the person wearing the ring is in a relationship, or that "someone has captured their heart".
A Claddagh worn on the left hand ring finger facing outward away from the body generally indicates that the wearer is engaged.
When the ring is on the left hand ring finger and facing inward toward the body, it generally means that the person wearing the ring is married.
One ring takes care of the ladies from when they start dating through the rest of their lives. A friend of mine who dropped $10k on an engagement ring couldn't believe it when he heard of this.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #44
VLS Head Mod

Maybe that's why I'm not too concerned about flashing a big rock; my Irish roots come through

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #45
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 8,232 Times in 3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The Irish are the ones that got this shit right (never thought I'd say that about the Irish), with the Claddagh Ring

One ring takes care of the ladies from when they start dating through the rest of their lives. A friend of mine who dropped $10k on an engagement ring couldn't believe it when he heard of this.
That explains the song, "When Irish Eyes are Smiling."

So what's the scoop with the dot on the forehead of South Asian women? Is that a similar thing?
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #46
...in the world.

Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
Quote:
And there's no way that that dude with that voice and is that excited about engagement rings is proposing to his "girlfriend".
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote