REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Highway 99 Northbound CLOSED (Right before Oak Street Bridge) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697697-highway-99-northbound-closed-right-before-oak-street-bridge.html)

Presto 08-26-2014 11:23 AM

Highway 99 Northbound ONE LANE OPEN (Right before Oak Street Bridge)

Heads up for folks who go this way. Hopefully, a quick fix. Otherwise, rush hour is going to be brutal.

EDIT:
UPDATE: One Lane Open
Quote:

RICHMOND (NEWS1130) – A culvert collapse on Highway 99 just before the Oak Street Bridge is causing major traffic delays.

Crews have shut down one lane of northbound traffic near the Bridgeport exit. Traffic will be diverted to Highway 91.

“Looks like a culvert collapsed underneath the highway causing the highway itself to collapse,” says Sergeant Lorne Lecker with the Deas Island RCM.

Richard called our newsroom after managing to avoid the mess in the right-hand lane.

“It starts at about eight to 10 inches low on the grass side and comes up to grade, but it’s about five feet wide by about three feet long,” he describes.

Ministry engineers are on site conducting an assessment. The cause of the culvert failure has yet to be determined.
Quote:

http://www.news1130.com/files/2014/08/pavement.jpg
RICHMOND (NEWS1130) – It was originally reported as a sinkhole, but a section of pavement has buckled on Highway 99 just before the Oak Street Bridge, causing major traffic delays.

Crews are shutting down a portion of the route to northbound traffic near the Bridgeport exit. Traffic will being diverted to Highway 91.

Richard called our newsroom after managing to avoid the mess in the right-hand lane.

“It starts at about eight to 10 inches low on the grass side and comes up to grade, but it’s about five feet wide by about three feet long,” he describes.

There are suggestions a waterline underneath highway near the Cambie Road overpass may be to blame.

The Ministry of Transportation is looking into it.

nsx042003 08-26-2014 11:28 AM

Looks like i'll be going home using No.5 instead

StylinRed 08-26-2014 11:35 AM

hmm wonder if you can get a jump from that or is it too narrow

Roach 08-26-2014 11:37 AM

99 was an absolute mess today.

CRV rear-ended a Yaris sedan at high rate of speed at Ladner trunk overpass.

Semi-trailer tipped and took out the barrier right by counterflow split resulting in hours of cleanup.

Then the buckled pavement by Bridgeport.

All on a sunny day.

Kev

subordinate 08-26-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roach (Post 8521426)
99 was an absolute mess today.

CRV rear-ended a Yaris sedan at high rate of speed at Ladner trunk overpass.

Semi-trailer tipped and took out the barrier right by counterflow split resulting in hours of cleanup.

Then the buckled pavement by Bridgeport.

All on a sunny day.

Kev

agreed, thankfully, I was listening to am730 and took patullo, instead of bc17/99

cdizzle_996 08-26-2014 12:17 PM

And that's why you use concrete pipe and not cheaper steel. It may cost more up front, but shit like this doesn't happen.

Mr.HappySilp 08-26-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 (Post 8521446)
And that's why you use concrete pipe and not cheaper steel. It may cost more up front, but shit like this doesn't happen.

The gov is all about saving money and putting it in their pockets.

Traum 08-26-2014 01:05 PM

This pic gives a better idea of what the sinkhole is like:

Photo from CBC News.

This one seems smaller than the one we had along Marine Drive a couple of years ago...

MG1 08-26-2014 01:28 PM

Okay, then. Imma gonna go Knight Street instead today.

Thanks for the heads up.

melloman 08-26-2014 02:15 PM

Holy FUCK! I thought it was just a dip in the road, not the road fucking caved in..

Welp good game. About to take Knight Street home, probably a shitshow.

multicartual 08-26-2014 02:26 PM

Fuck the traffic in this city is insane

It took me 2 hours to get from Main and Hastings to Affordable Auto Parts just beyond Marine Drive and Boundary road the other day

>wanking motion with hand<

carisear 08-26-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx042003 (Post 8521421)
Looks like i'll be going home using No.5 instead

on a quick glance I thought you said "looks like i'll be going to No. 5 [orange] instead"

StylinRed 08-26-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8521492)
Holy FUCK! I thought it was just a dip in the road, not the road fucking caved in..

Welp good game. About to take Knight Street home, probably a shitshow.

yeah same here that's quite crazy when looked at from the other angle

MG1 08-26-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8521497)
Fuck the traffic in this city is insane

It took me 2 hours to get from Main and Hastings to Affordable Auto Parts just beyond Marine Drive and Boundary road the other day

>wanking motion with hand<

Man, you need to take shortcuts. I used to deliver shit all over lower mainland. I knew all the bottlenecks and shortcuts. Which way did you go and when? Traffic Radio 730 am and do opposite of what they say.

Also, our traffic is nothing compared to Seattle right now with all the construction going on over there. You cannot plan to be anywhere on time.

Ikkaku 08-26-2014 05:20 PM

Traffic was better than usual at 5:00pm northbound on oak lol

Liquid_o2 08-26-2014 05:54 PM

My co-worker just drove northbound across Oak St bridge and she said it was fine. Maybe things will be ok... for now...

SpeedStars 08-26-2014 05:59 PM

Drove past around 6PM today.... Traffic was better than usual :lawl: sink hole had a few news vans around it and the road has more of like a seperation rather than an indent

importfruit79 08-26-2014 07:59 PM

Yea like everyone's been saying drove through there at 5 and better then normal. Usually it's stop and go on the bridge just flew by today

MG1 08-26-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by importfruit79 (Post 8521616)
Yea like everyone's been saying drove through there at 5 and better then normal. Usually it's stop and go on the bridge just flew by today

Thanks to traffic radio, everyone avoided it.

Ever listen to which border crossing to take on 730 AM?

50 minutes northbound Peace Arch, 10 minutes northbound truck crossing. By the time you get there, the opposite is true. Everyone took the truck crossing and avoided the Peace Arch. LOL.

Mike Oxbig 08-26-2014 08:21 PM

I came all the way from Ladner and got stuck for 40 min around noon

twitchyzero 08-26-2014 08:27 PM

would love to see a hellaflushed car drive over that at 100kph :joy:
you probably wont even notice it until it's too late...that first pic perspective :fulloffuck:

multicartual 08-26-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8521557)
I used to deliver shit all over lower mainland. I knew all the bottlenecks and shortcuts.

Me too, when I was 19 I drove a 5 ton and delivered Okanagan 7 to the cold beer and wines around the lower mainland. Problem is none of my shortcuts work anymore!!!

Traffic 17 years ago was... a lot better hahaha

4444 08-26-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8521655)
Me too, when I was 19 I drove a 5 ton and delivered Okanagan 7 to the cold beer and wines around the lower mainland. Problem is none of my shortcuts work anymore!!!

Traffic 17 years ago was... a lot better hahaha

17 years ago had basically the same roads, but 17 years worth less ppl (and more importantly 17 years less of housing construction).

i've said it for years, the road infrastructure in Vancouver (and in most of North America) needs some serious upgrades and redesigns... just not on Gregor's bike lane watch!

MG1 08-27-2014 04:49 AM

The more traffic and construction you have the more important the shortcuts become. The new overpass on Powell is awesome, but there's the traffic you face at Victoria Drive. Turning up Clarke sometimes saves you time. Right now PNE traffic can screw up things, but Hastings is still okay. A lot of people avoid it, so it's all good. It all depends on the time of day, construction, events, accidents, etc. East/West traffic, Broadway is pretty good with three lanes open during rush hour. Willingdon/Lougheed is a bitch, but taking Still Creek from Gilmore to Holdom, now that the stretch behind Costco has opened up, is a good alternative. Sometimes taking Boundary Road up to First Ave or Parker Street can save you some time. I can go on, but you get the idea. I listen to traffic radio all the time. Sometimes they are slow to get news of accidents out. It's still useful information. Bugs the hell out of me when they can't pronounce the names of the roads correctly.

Anyway..............

Mr.HappySilp 08-27-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8521769)
The more traffic and construction you have the more important the shortcuts become. The new overpass on Powell is awesome, but there's the traffic you face at Victoria Drive. Turning up Clarke sometimes saves you time. Right now PNE traffic can screw up things, but Hastings is still okay. A lot of people avoid it, so it's all good. It all depends on the time of day, construction, events, accidents, etc. East/West traffic, Broadway is pretty good with three lanes open during rush hour. Willingdon/Lougheed is a bitch, but taking Still Creek from Gilmore to Holdom, now that the stretch behind Costco has opened up, is a good alternative. Sometimes taking Boundary Road up to First Ave or Parker Street can save you some time. I can go on, but you get the idea. I listen to traffic radio all the time. Sometimes they are slow to get news of accidents out. It's still useful information. Bugs the hell out of me when they can't pronounce the names of the roads correctly.

Anyway..............

I feel like a lot of construction they are doing now is only a band aid solution. Look at Willingdon/Lougheed traffic is already pretty bad during rush hour. They made some changes which made traffic a little better but what happens when all those new apartment goes up? The city knows around that area there are going to be over 14 new high raise in total in the next 10 years yet the changes they made can barely handle the traffic now. We need engineers who can plan far far into the future.

That goes with Metrotown and Lougheed area and oakridge.......and even along cambie.