REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Acura RDX Oil Change

It's about time I change the oil in my Acura RDX ('14), don't want to bring it back to North Shore to get it serviced so I have a few questions:

1. What's a good oil filter? FRAM or Royal Purple good? If anyone works at Acura or knows the answer that'd be great. (Would like to know if 15400-PLM-A01 is the correct part no. for the OEM filter) Can I use any oil filter instead of the OEM one?

2. Mobil 1 or Royal Purple synthetic oil?

3. Do I need a "special" wrench to take off the drain plug?
Advertisement
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
i think anyone should change their own oil at least once in their life.

1. OEM or any high quality filter will do. if in doubt, use OEM

2. i use mobil1 because of the good feedback i have read for all make of cars, want to try royal purple next time but its more expensive and harder to fine than mobil1 i say you would be good with either one

3. Should need a "special" wrench to take off the drain plug the only exception is if its in a awkward position. if you plan to change your own oil a lot look into getting a futomoto valve.
the only "special" tool you may need is possibility an oil filter wrench, OEM often use gorillas to tighten the oil filter. Shouldn't need this again after your have hand tight your new oil filter on.

don't forget to get a oil pan and funnels to pour it back into the bottle for disposal!!!
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Think I'll be getting the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter, anyone have experience with this?

Mobil 1 doesn't have an extended performance version in the 0W-20, only in the advanced fuel economy one... is this any good
Old 08-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
^ just put in 0w20 mobil1 the advanced fuel economy in my frs. i like it so far, engine rans smooth!

editL notice u looking on cambodian tire. walmart is quite a bit cheaper than them on the mobil1. just a heads up, could save you 10-15$ depending how much you need

Last edited by threezero; 08-30-2014 at 05:39 PM.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Will you be able to slide underneath your car without jacking it up seeing that it is a SUV? Perhaps there is enough clearance for you. Otherwise, hope you will have the adequate jack and stands.

I use ramps. but being a scarety cat that I am, I still place jack stands in case my ramps collapse lol. I still feel claustrophobic when sliding underneath my car and still haven't gotten used to it yet.

You may notice your drain bolt and filter are both really tight from the last mechanic who did it. For the bolt, see if you can get an extra long wrench or a cheat bar to give you leverage to break it loose.
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
OEM filters shouldn't be that expensive. Sure, they'll be a couple of bucks more from the local dealership, but if sourcing one online should be equivalent to what you would pay for a non-OEM filter locally. You have a luxury car - spend a few more bucks and get OEM.

Some other tips:
- Get a 17mm socket with a minimum 3/8 drive. If the oil has never been changed, get a 1/2 drive with a 17mm socket for extra leverage.
- Don't forget to put on a new washer after you drain the old oil and replace the drain plug.
- Don't over tighten the drain bolt.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
Thanks for the reply. Think I'll be getting the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter, anyone have experience with this?

Mobil 1 doesn't have an extended performance version in the 0W-20, only in the advanced fuel economy one... is this any good
i use it, love it. They are sometimes on sale too at cambodian tire. So I just buy a whole case of them.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, I want to use purple royal but it cost a little more and at the end of the day engine oil is still engine oil...

You just need a socket to take off the bolt, i dunno what size but you should have the whole kit. Be sure to always change your crush washers everytime. Only hand tighten everything.
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I personally like WIX filters. I use them on all vehicles and I order a shit ton from ROCKAUTO occasionally. Much better bang for buck. Mobil1 filters are overpriced.
c4@urdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #9

Very stupid question but... for the washer I can pick up any type that fits the drain plug right? So I can grab it at Home Depot or whatnot
Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

the washer I get from the dealer is a slightly a softer material. It kind of feels like cardboard, so it is not 100% steel/aluminum like the ones you see at the hardware store. It's designed to crush down, so it is not supposed to be reused.

to be safe just grab one at the parts dept. If you are lucky they probably wont' even charge you. But if they go through the process of writing it up, then you are looking at $1-$1.25 for it.

Quote:
Very stupid question but... for the washer I can pick up any type that fits the drain plug right? So I can grab it at Home Depot or whatnot
Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #11

Amazon.com: K&N PS-1010 Pro Series Oil Filter: Automotive

That or OEM Oil Filter? K & N good brand?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
The washers are usually copper or aluminum. Don't just pick up any washer from Home Depot. You'll end up with a small puddle of oil on your garage floor if you get the wrong kind. It's purpose is to deform slightly when tightened so that it forms a good seal between the oil pan and the drain plug.

As for the filters, OEM Honda filter is made by Filtech or Honeywell. Just go to any Honda or Acura dealer and ask for part 15400-PLM-A01. Should run somewhere around $10 and change. If you're going to shop in the US, then the Purolator Pure One is pretty highly rated.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
The washers are usually copper or aluminum. Don't just pick up any washer from Home Depot. You'll end up with a small puddle of oil on your garage floor if you get the wrong kind. It's purpose is to deform slightly when tightened so that it forms a good seal between the oil pan and the drain plug.

As for the filters, OEM Honda filter is made by Filtech or Honeywell. Just go to any Honda or Acura dealer and ask for part 15400-PLM-A01. Should run somewhere around $10 and change. If you're going to shop in the US, then the Purolator Pure One is pretty highly rated.
What about K&N
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #14

I'd get OEM but been reading some reviews that it's made by FRAM and it isn't that great?? Apparently they only have the 002's now and not 001?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #15

Yeah, the 02's were made by Honeywell which I believe is FRAM.

I usually get my filters from H & A accessories (they are in the US though) because they can guarantee that they'll send you an A01 instead of substituting an A02.

No idea on the K&N's. Can't seem to find much on Google about the K&N Pro Series.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #16

Tried to make an order... got this message:

Currently, we only service purchases made from United States. All purchases must be made from within the US with a US bank issued credit card with matching US billing address.

No other site I can purchase from?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #17

Yeah, they sell only to US.
You can always try eBay. Just look for ones that guarantee that they'll ship you the A01's. Try this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Honda-Oil-Filter-3-Pack-Actual-15400-PLM-A01-Filtech-Filters-/251416369601?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a899559c1&vxp=mtr
Old 09-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #18

How can you tell if your washer on the drain plug needs to be replaced? Been emailing acura to ask if they sell the washer but no reply... is there anywhere else I can buy it from or is it even necessary to change it?
Old 09-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #19

If you're taking off the drain plug then replace it. Acura will have it in stock. They do so many oil changes a day I'd be surprised if they didn't have a bunch lying around.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #20

It's very rare for a washer to be out of stock.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #21
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
If it's a crush washer, I'd replace it. If it's just a standard washer, chances are it'll still be good. They tend to be relatively standard sizes, so if Acura is out of it, you'll be able to buy it from any automotive parts store (Lordco, CT, Wakefield, etc).

As for oil filters, I personally use Purolator brand. Oil is also dependant on the vehicle, though I typically use either Mobile1 synthetic in cars I care about or Wolf Oil synthetic on vehicles on everything else. Though not on topic, I only used Royal Purple in transmissions. Wasn't impressed with their engine oil.

Bobistheoilguy.com is a great website for determining what type of oil is best used for a specific application. Lots of good technical information.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #22

Got the OEM filter but it's a 02... bad reviews but it is OEM... should be ok right I plan to order A01 for next time
Old 09-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #23

so how did it go?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixfwd View Post
so how did it go?
Great! First oil change completed, ended up using OEM filter and Mobil 1 oil