REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #101
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Smallest Miata yet is what I'm interested in, combined with even say 160hp and decent torque out of the 2.0L. It doesn't need to be actually fast, it just needs to feel that way

I like that the current gen has the convenience and looks of the power hardtop, but no doubt it's extra heft and complexity in a platform really meant for simplicity, which the upcoming model is a return to.
Advertisement
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:27 AM   #102
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Vancouver Mazda Dealer

@ 1:10 - He says the new MX5 should lose 220 lbs

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #103

still no word on how much heavier 2.0L version will be?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #104
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Yes as I correctly suspected it's heavier:

Quote:
At 2332 pounds, the manual-transmission, U.S.-spec, 2016 Miata isn’t as light as the global version—claimed to be 2200 pounds—but our model comes with a bigger, 2.0-liter engine.
2016 Mazda MX-5 Official Weight Figures Released ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #105
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackGS? View Post
Might be apples and oranges
But say someone was nearing a
midlife crisis. 2016 MX-5 or
a used S2000?
Both great cars and will probably offer equal amounts of fun. Just depends on your budget. I like the Miata but I'd get the S2k since it'll give me more value for the money spent.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #106
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
How much cam, intake and header could you put into the MX-5?

I wonder if the power plant will be a screamer or a dud
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #107
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackGS? View Post
Might be apples and oranges
But say someone was nearing a
midlife crisis. 2016 MX-5 or
a used S2000?
Plenty of people (for whatever reason) don't like buying used cars. Having a sports car with a warranty appeals to a lot of people. Personally I'd get the S2000, but if I didn't know how to work on cars and had to rely on a stealership for everything I'd go with the MX-5.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #108
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
Plenty of people (for whatever reason) don't like buying used cars. Having a sports car with a warranty appeals to a lot of people. Personally I'd get the S2000, but if I didn't know how to work on cars and had to rely on a stealership for everything I'd go with the MX-5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Both great cars and will probably offer equal amounts of fun. Just depends on your budget. I like the Miata but I'd get the S2k since it'll give me more value for the money spent.

i recently am racing an s2000 at autox thanks to a kind friend which i've partnered with on this venture.

i love the way it drives i love the way it handles the power and the delivery

i do not love the s2000 tax on every freaking part and the fact the tops are all bunk and all have issues. if you want to get remotely competitve in an s2000, the good parts bend you over in the pocket book.
there is not necessarily more value for your dollar in an s2000, unless you are driving it completely stock.

the miata will always be cheaper just from sheer volume and aftermarket support.

im entering my late 30's and am not interested in fixing stuff i just want something that is generally problem free. you will not be getting that with a car anywhere from 8-15yrs old.

if you're just gonna daily it and want it cheap, i'd get the ND miata. it wont feel slow, but it will not be s2000 fast in a straightline nor have the same kind of excitement out of the box due to the funny s2000 rear toe curve. but a set of suspension for the nd miata could cure that at half the price a competitive set of s2000 suspension will run you. also if you've driven an NA miata with the 1.8l engine, im sure it will feel vaguely similar, except with 33% more torque and 20% more horsepower and a less flimsy chassis

i'm putting down a deposit on one for daily use, since i have the s2000 i can use for autocross.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #109
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
So, I'm legitimately saving up downpayment for one going to be living the life of a hermit until I have one of these in my driveway.

Looked through so much info and videos and have convinced myself that this is the next car for me.

The only thing that is bugging me a little bit is conflicting reports online about what wheels the USDM Miata will have. Some sites say we'll only get the larger 17-inch standard (which I do not like, ruins the car's proportions), but some say the Sport (base model) will get the 16-inch wheels, which I prefer as the thicker tire look goes better with the ND.

I just hope Mazda offers the LSD with the base Sport model, otherwise I would have to go up to the Club model which I'm sure will not really be worth it in Canada, considering how much the Club model currently costs in Canada which is a ridiculous $36k...
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #110

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
The last Miata gets 2.0 170hp engine, this one gets 155hp. Why?
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
The last Miata gets 2.0 170hp engine, this one gets 155hp. Why?
Because it has CX-5's Skyactive engine. Which is 155hp, 150lb-ft.
For whatever reason(exhaust layout?) they lost 2lb-ft so the new Miata will get 155hp, 148lb-ft.
This engine can run on regular, whereas current Miata requires premium.
You will get 8lb-ft more so I guess it's easy for city drive or highway cruise?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #112

Flatter torque curve I'm assuming?

Also I'm positive that the new Miata will be able to be tuned on 91/92/94, netting more power as a result.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Old 04-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #113
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,177 Times in 200 Posts
2016 Mazda Miata Reveal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Because it has CX-5's Skyactive engine. Which is 155hp, 150lb-ft.
For whatever reason(exhaust layout?) they lost 2lb-ft so the new Miata will get 155hp, 148lb-ft.

Not sure where you are getting that...their 155 hp/148lbft is the 2.0l skyactiv that is in the 2012 and 2013 mazda3. I have one.
tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Flatter torque curve I'm assuming?

Also I'm positive that the new Miata will be able to be tuned on 91/92/94, netting more power as a result.
higher octane number does not mean you will necessarily get more power.

just because 94 is bigger number than 87, or one is labelled as "regular" and the other one is "supreme" or one is more expensive than the other, does not mean you will get more power.

it's a common myth you will get more power or burn cleaner if you put 94 octane into an engine that is designed for 87 octane.

the 87 octane should be labelled "fast" and 94 should be labelled "slow"
or "high spark point gas" or "low spark point gas" or whatever.

94 octane simply means that it's much harder to burn, preventing detonation during sudden compression of air.
Think of it as, higher number = higher combustion point.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-19-2015, 11:43 PM   #115

Quote:
higher octane number does not mean you will necessarily get more power.

just because 94 is bigger number than 87, or one is labelled as "regular" and the other one is "supreme" or one is more expensive than the other, does not mean you will get more power.

it's a common myth you will get more power or burn cleaner if you put 94 octane into an engine that is designed for 87 octane.

the 87 octane should be labelled "fast" and 94 should be labelled "slow"
or "high spark point gas" or "low spark point gas" or whatever.

94 octane simply means that it's much harder to burn, preventing detonation during sudden compression of air.
Think of it as, higher number = higher combustion point.
Failed because cannot read

Quote:
With bolt-ons, intake, exhaust, HFC or test pipe, plus a tune on premium gas, the car should make at least 5-10 more whp.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #116

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
if you want power, then wait until a V8 kit comes.

I've driven a co-worker's stock 1st gen Miata 1.6L, it's fun to drive as is, A to B, open air and fuck around, but it is much more interesting to have V8 and large brakes. 2 personalities it can get.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2015, 05:46 AM   #117

Quote:
Failed because cannot read
Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #118

US official prices and outline of the three trims was released earlier today.

Quote:
IRVINE, Calif., April 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The wait is almost over, as North America-bound 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata production began today, signaling the imminent arrival of the next generation of the world's most popular two-seat roadster at U.S. dealers. Additionally, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) has released pricing for the entire MX-5 range, including the first 1,000 cars earmarked as Launch Edition models.

"The three trim levels available – Sport, Club and Grand Touring – are tailored for three very different types of customers, broadening the MX-5's appeal," said Rod McLaughlin, MX-5 vehicle line manager, MNAO. "Whether customers opt for a Sport, Club, Grand Touring or Launch Edition, we're confident the new MX-5 will deliver the same owner passion, excitement and pride that have made the previous generations among the most beloved cars on the road or racetrack at any price point."

MX-5 Miata Launch Edition Limited Treats Buyers with Creature Comforts, Exclusivity
The 2016 MX-5 Launch Edition will comprise the first 1,000 fourth-generation roadsters sold in the U.S., carrying unique badging and with an MSRP of $30,1951. MX-5 Launch Edition comes equipped with features reserved for the MX-5 Grand Touring trim, in addition to Advanced Keyless entry, which is optional in other trim levels. All 1,000 Launch Editions are painted Soul Red with a Sport Tan leather interior – a combination exclusive to the Launch Edition for 2016.

To purchase an MX-5 Launch Edition, customers can currently preregister at 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Roadster | Mazda USA and will receive a reminder email prior to orders opening on May 5. Customers will then have the opportunity to place a $500 deposit toward the purchase of a 2016 MX-5 Launch Edition, also providing them the opportunity to select a dealership from where they can take delivery. MX-5s are expected arrive in dealers starting late summer.

The Launch Edition's sole option will be the choice of a six-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission or the six-speed automatic, the latter of which carries an MSRP of $31,2702.

"The MX-5 Launch Edition will give enthusiasts the opportunity to take ownership of one of the very first, very exclusive, 2016 MX-5s to arrive in the U.S.," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO, MNAO. "Along with the privilege of exclusivity and being among the first 1,000 to take delivery, owners will be able to enjoy one of the purest expressions of open-top driving exhilaration available today as well as our latest entertainment, safety and luxury technologies – many of which are unique among sports cars."

Customers who take delivery of an MX-5 Launch Edition also will receive a Mazda-branded BOSE® SoundLink® Mini Bluetooth® speaker in a customized gift box, along with select items from Mazda's upcoming Heritage Collection apparel line.

MX-5 Sport to Have More Standard Features Than Previous Generation
At the opposite end of the MX-5 lineup, the 2016 MX-5 Sport has a starting MSRP of $24,9153, riding on 16-inch alloy wheels and carrying a host of new standard features such as a six-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission, cruise control, LED headlights and tail lights, Bluetooth phone pairing and audio streaming, leather-wrapped shift knob, power door locks, single USB input and cruise control.

As in the Launch Edition and all models, an automatic transmission option is available as a $1,075 option. Advanced Keyless entry is available for $130 (standard with automatic transmission).

MX-5 Club and Grand Touring Personalize Roadster Experience
Those who want to step up to a higher level of content will have a choice between distinct trim packages: the distilled, performance-focused MX-5 Club or MX-5 Grand Touring, lavished in premium amenities and technology.

MX-5 Club has a starting MSRP of $28,6004 and adds 17-inch gunmetal alloy wheels wrapped in 205/45R17 tires, front air dam and trunk-mounted rear lip spoiler, piano black seat back bars and exterior mirror caps, MAZDA CONNECT™ with a seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system and commander control knob and an AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM® satellite radio with a nine-speaker BOSE® audio system with headrest speakers – all in addition to MX-5 Sport's standard equipment. A limited-slip rear differential, Bilstein® shocks and shock-tower brace are standard when equipped with the manual transmission.

Additionally, MX-5 Club is available with a package that equips it with forged, lightweight BBS 17-inch wheels, Brembo® front brake rotors and calipers with painted front and rear calipers, functional aerodynamic side sill extensions and rear bumper skirt.

Moving to MX-5 Grand Touring endows the roadster with 17-inch bright alloy wheels, leather-trimmed heated seats, automatic climate control, BOSE® nine-speaker audio system with headrest speakers, AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM® radio, MAZDA CONNECT™ with and seven-inch touchscreen monitor, commander control knob, Homelink® garage door opener, rain-sensing wipers and adaptive headlights in addition to MX-5 Sport's standard equipment. Mazda's i-ACTIVSENSE suite of safety features including blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert and lane-departure warning. MX-5 Grand Touring has an MSRP of $30,0655.

Smaller, lighter and more focused, the 2016 MX-5 is purpose-built with one goal in mind: providing the thrills and wind-in-the-hair driving experience that only the MX-5 can deliver. At 2,332 lbs. when equipped with SKYACTIV-MT (2,381 lbs. with the automatic transmission), MX-5 is approximately 150 lbs. lighter than the vehicle it replaces as a result of Mazda's efficient SKYACTIV®6 TECHNOLOGY. MX-5's lighter weight, enhanced technologies and greater performance should help ensure that the 26th year of the MX-5 will be just as exciting from behind the wheel as the first 25 have been.

Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at Welcome | Mazda USA Media.
So, given that US pricing of the ND Miata has gone up across the board for all three trim levels, particularly the Club that is around $3,000 more than the current NC Club, I think it's safe to assume that given the Canadian starting price of the Club at its current $36,000ish, it's very likely that the Club will be nearly $40,000 before taxes and fees, or very close to that number do not want a $40,000 Miata thanks.

As I predicted, I'm going to be sticking with the base Sport trim that comes w with the 16" wheels, which I actually prefer over the 17" wheels aesthetically, the proportions just seem to work better with the styling of the ND. I'm guessing it'll start at $30,000 here in Canada, a little bit more than the current starting price is for the NC Sport.

Still crossing my fingers for the option to add an LSD onto the base Sport trim, otherwise I'll have to grab an aftermarket one, unless the diff is the same as the NC so I can find a used LSD from an NC

Leaked packaging of the Canadian trims. GX doesn't come in red, that's a deal breaker for me, especially if the GS still costs what it does now which is around $40k after taxes Going to cross my fingers that there's a price drop in the GS to under $35k...

Last edited by Akinari; 04-20-2015 at 04:08 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #119
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Yeah I go back and forth on red cars, but I have to say the red that Mazda has offered on some of its latest 2013+ models is a spectacular looking colour - just dark enough and with enough sparkle to look really premium and stunning, I'm a huge fan of that.

Mark
Old 04-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #120
Need to Seek Professional Help

FRS is still a better deal. But the Mx5 is much lighter and the engine has proven to be quite reliable.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damaxmr2 View Post
FRS is still a better deal. But the Mx5 is much lighter and the engine has proven to be quite reliable.
How is the FRS a better deal, aside from the fact that you get an LSD in the base model because there is only one model , and 200hp? These are two very different cars, hard to compare them together, especially when the a Sport/GX manual ND weighs nearly 430lbs less than a manual FRS. Can't go off the reviews of the JDM/EDM 1.5L model to judge how the US-spec car will be like. I would not be surprised if the ND is quicker than the FRS, even with a horsepower deficit.

Last edited by Akinari; 04-21-2015 at 06:19 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #122

Quote:
How is the FRS a better deal, aside from the fact that you get an LSD in the base model because there is only one model , and 200hp? These are two very different cars, hard to compare them together, especially when the a Sport/GX manual ND weighs nearly 430lbs less than a manual FRS. Can't go off the reviews of the JDM/EDM 1.5L model to judge how the US-spec car will be like. I would not be surprised if the ND is quicker than the FRS, even with a horsepower deficit.
yeah it's not all about how quick or how cheap it is.

Miata has 26 years of proven reputation and history.
Just like Porsche 911, it has not changed a lot.

Whereas Toyota 86(Scion FRS) is kind of a successor to Celica(FWD coupe) and even before that Celica used to be 4WD Turbo. (see how it changed a lot and didn't retain base platform)

If price or bang for buck factor was that important, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky would've killed Miata long time ago.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #123
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Corolla
Old 04-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #124
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Wow! 36MPG for auto on the highway for the ND. that is good. http://wot.motortrend.com/1504_2016_...6_mpg_hwy.html Hopefully the gearing is better than the NC. If I recall, driving my NC at 100KM/hr require around 3500rpm.
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #125
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
If price or bang for buck factor was that important, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky would've killed Miata long time ago.
How do you figure? Both the Solstice and Sky were not much cheaper than the Miata, not as well designed ergonomically and not as well put together and finished, and also not as practical given the 'trunk' that it offers. Neither really handle all that well, and they don't offer any power advantage unless you move up to the 260hp turbo versions which were even more overpriced so that takes the price/bang for buck factor out of the equation
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: