REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #101
My homepage has been set to RS

bump

for any suggestions for 3 guys to Cabos? Never done an all-inclusive before.
Advertisement
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #102
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I’ve stayed at a few places in Cabo and Riu Palace was my favourite to date. Recently renovated according to travelbestbets.com. Avoid Riu Santa Fe even though it’s cheaper as it’s essentially in the parking lot. Barcelo was a disappointment. Other places I’ve stayed were more family friendly..

Just got home from Cancun last night. Stayed at Iberostar. Beautiful golf course. A la carte restaurants were meh overall but great service so kind of a wash. Would return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
I’ve stayed at a few places in Cabo and Riu Palace was my favourite to date. Recently renovated according to travelbestbets.com. Avoid Riu Santa Fe even though it’s cheaper as it’s essentially in the parking lot. Barcelo was a disappointment. Other places I’ve stayed were more family friendly..

Just got home from Cancun last night. Stayed at Iberostar. Beautiful golf course. A la carte restaurants were meh overall but great service so kind of a wash. Would return.
Thanks.

Is all inclusive the way to go? Buddies and I also like to do activities as well.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #104
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Went to Maya Riviera a few summers ago, and loved the experience. Beaches were filled with a decent crowd, but weren't packed like Cancun might be. They have a good gym there, and lots of great restaurants. Also had great packages for seeing the cenotes, theme parks with zip-lining, etc.

I really enjoyed the vibe of the resort, which was more laid-back and perfect for a relaxing vacation.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #105
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
yvr deals has 1000$ all in right now for one week.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #106
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Thanks.

Is all inclusive the way to go? Buddies and I also like to do activities as well.
Guess that depends on how often and how long you plan to be offsite doing activities. I’ve only ever done all inclusive but I’m normally on the resort for 3-4 full days out of 7 and will still typically eat breaky and dinner at the resort so would only need a bit of food while out on a day excursion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #107
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

I hate all inclusives, so I'd say no. Way prefer to rent an airbnb or random hotel and move around. But it all depends on the people you're traveling with.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #108

Quote:
I hate all inclusives, so I'd say no. Way prefer to rent an airbnb or random hotel and move around. But it all depends on the people you're traveling with.
I hear ya. I keep hearing its either you hate it or love it.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #109
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

I really like all inclusive resorts. Reason being, you're not tied down to the resort like a lot of people say. When I was in Cabo I stayed at Villa del Palmar and really enjoyed it, was in a great location and I spent over 50% of my time away from the resort. Easily within walking distance of the town and many stores / huts / bars / nightclubs etc. What I love about being at an all inclusive is when you meander back to the resort you can just walk up and get food or drinks or whatever and not have to pull out cash (other than tip).

If you guys are low on money, you can do it cheaper not in an all inclusive resort. If you have a little money to burn, I'd suggest staying at an all inclusive and do activities off resort and on for the best experience.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #110
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
I think one of the issues with vacationing outside the confinements of a resort is that it can be a bit more dangerous with certain cities in mexico. When I went outside my resort in riviera maya, the local police had ak’s casually slung across their backs. Not saying you shouldn’t go, but just exercise precaution

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #111
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
bump

for any suggestions for 3 guys to Cabos? Never done an all-inclusive before.
+1 for the Riu Palace if you're looking for an all inclusive.

The girlfriend and I got back about two weeks ago, and we had a tough decision deciding between the Santa Fe or the Palace, since it was about a $400 difference per person.

No regrets spending the extra money on the Palace, the property is spotless and everything is an ocean view from the bars to your room balcony.

If I was doing a boys trip though, I'd probably look into an airbnb. Lots of cheap food/drink options downtown. There's also a Walmart, Sam's Club, and Costco nearby if you plan to cook.
Oscar_Binswood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Binswood View Post
+1 for the Riu Palace if you're looking for an all inclusive.

The girlfriend and I got back about two weeks ago, and we had a tough decision deciding between the Santa Fe or the Palace, since it was about a $400 difference per person.

No regrets spending the extra money on the Palace, the property is spotless and everything is an ocean view from the bars to your room balcony.

If I was doing a boys trip though, I'd probably look into an airbnb. Lots of cheap food/drink options downtown. There's also a Walmart, Sam's Club, and Costco nearby if you plan to cook.
Thanks, we booked barcelo. Yeah, I was thinking of Airbnbin it, but buddies aren't incredibly adventurous atm with the shit that's been going on in Mexico.

Good stuff, do any tours, adventures?
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #113
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Riu sante fe is pretty wack tbh.. definately not as upscale as i wanted/expected, wouldnt hesitate to pay the extra for palace.

Cabo sucks though all together.. dont think id go back even for a sub 1000 price.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #114
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Riu sante fe is pretty wack tbh.. definately not as upscale as i wanted/expected, wouldnt hesitate to pay the extra for palace.

Cabo sucks though all together.. dont think id go back even for a sub 1000 price.
I agree. I stayed at the Santa Fe last summer and it was horrible. The booze was so watered down. I tried to get drunk but just couldn't. Definitely spend the extra $$ and stay at the Palace.

Cabo was beautiful though.
ijaz_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #115
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

heading to Cabo next month, it's the launch point for a diving liveaboard, then we're back and staying two extra nights.

we get back in saturday morning. so depending who's playing at Omnia that night we might go there but we'll most likely go to the pool party at Breathless on the sunday
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #116
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Thanks, we booked barcelo. Yeah, I was thinking of Airbnbin it, but buddies aren't incredibly adventurous atm with the shit that's been going on in Mexico.

Good stuff, do any tours, adventures?
I don't blame them, I felt the same way before going. Once we got there though, I felt like there were more Canadians/Americans than locals. Never really felt unsafe at all leaving the resort. We even used public transit to get around... the white, old retired school buses.

For tours, there's a bunch just depends on what you and your buddies are into. Dune buggies, tequila tours, zip lining, whale watching, fishing, wave runner rentals, etc.

If you go downtown around the marina area, there's a ton of tour operators most of which were negotiable on pricing.
Oscar_Binswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #117

Trip report,

Stayed at Barcelo Gran Faro - Cabos in San Jose del Cabo. 2.5/5?

Not bad, wouldn't stay again. Resort wasn't bad, food was typical buffet food, a la carte were disappointing.

No free wifi. And I feel San Jose Del Cabos is more for artsy/slow/older/families that pretty much want to stay within the resorts.

Cabos San Lucas - younger, walk alot, want the option to party or check out more excursions/Bargain.

hmmm, either if you're with your GF or Boys, I say stay near downtown Cabos San Lucas. San Jose Del Cabo was 20-30 minutes by bus, 37 peso or 30-40 USD by taxi (depending on your bargaining skills).

The last bus to CSL was 11pm? so if you're partying late, only option is Taxi.

Next time, I'd definitely just do an Airbnb near the Marina.

Places to party.check out = happy ending, squid roe, Wabo Cabo.

Highlight was chileno beach - snorkeling. You could also bus near to Santa Maria reefs.

Overall, I had fun, but definitely would have been more so staying downtown.

Anyways, Cabos is HOT HOT HOT. A hat and shit ton of sunscreen is necessary.

--------

Ultimately, I think all inclusives aren't my thing. And the sheer wastefulness. Plastic bottles and cups for all the drinks. I know being a bit hypocritical, as I'm not the most resourceful.

Just reflecting on plastics being on the news, got me thinking about all those coffee pods, plastic bottles, plastic cups, from Asia to Mexico. Man... we dump alot of crap.

Last edited by subordinate; 04-27-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #118
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Chileano beach is pretty nice, great snorkelling

again however if you're a weak swimmer it can get dicey. Not as dicey as by the downtown resorts where the rip tide is deadly but it can definitely start pulling ya
Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Chileano beach is pretty nice, great snorkelling

again however if you're a weak swimmer it can get dicey. Not as dicey as by the downtown resorts where the rip tide is deadly but it can definitely start pulling ya
Oh man, I'm a weak swimmer and yeah, those waves.

And very good point. Downtown Cabos where all the people are with the confined swimming areas by nets - I even noticed a couple teenagers needed saving as they were caught by a rip tide. It's crazy. They were likely weak swimmers as I noticed kids nearby doing okay.

It's interesting to point out, I was on the rocks and thought those teenagers were just having fun, until a dude runs in with a life floater/string. Definitely hard to see/spot if someone is in trouble
Old 05-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #120
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
A friend wanted to go on a trip in Mid to End of May for about a week. Mostly to relax. I give her a suggestions like we could go to the interior or harrison hot spring to relax. Then as we discuss more she doesn't really want to drive at all and doesn't really want the hassle to plan what to do, getting tickets, booking hotels. So we can either go with a tour group or maybe Mexico.

Just wondering how much is it generally for a Inclusive Resort at Mexico with tickets? Do you need to get a Visa to visit Mexcio. I mean if it works out to be around 500 to 600 per person it might better better then joining a tour. Los Vegas works too I guess but there will be driving. I been trying to date this girl last year but she never give any signal or signs so I just haven't chat with her for like 8 to 10 months. Then all of a sudden she asked to go out for drinks and stuff and she even suggested this trip so maybe she is hinting something? But it could be just a friend thing. We are meeting up tomorrow for drinks so I just want to have some options out there for her to decide.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:01 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
A friend wanted to go on a trip in Mid to End of May for about a week. Mostly to relax. I give her a suggestions like we could go to the interior or harrison hot spring to relax. Then as we discuss more she doesn't really want to drive at all and doesn't really want the hassle to plan what to do, getting tickets, booking hotels. So we can either go with a tour group or maybe Mexico.

Just wondering how much is it generally for a Inclusive Resort at Mexico with tickets? Do you need to get a Visa to visit Mexcio. I mean if it works out to be around 500 to 600 per person it might better better then joining a tour. Los Vegas works too I guess but there will be driving. I been trying to date this girl last year but she never give any signal or signs so I just haven't chat with her for like 8 to 10 months. Then all of a sudden she asked to go out for drinks and stuff and she even suggested this trip so maybe she is hinting something? But it could be just a friend thing. We are meeting up tomorrow for drinks so I just want to have some options out there for her to decide.

All inclusive with tickets, depends on the resort style and planning. We didn't plan, and with tickets/return, 1280 each.

I've seen it down to 800-1000.

All you gotta do is bring tips and maybe side cash for tours. If you guys want to save money. Airbnb in Cabos san lucas. Rent a car for a Costco Run (make sure the Airbnb has a BBQ - and save $$$$)
Snorkel/Swim with her, walks along the beach at night is fantastic. Cheap rock tours - 10-15 USD.
Mexican food. And chill beside the water?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:08 AM   #122
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
All inclusive with tickets, depends on the resort style and planning. We didn't plan, and with tickets/return, 1280 each.

I've seen it down to 800-1000.

All you gotta do is bring tips and maybe side cash for tours. If you guys want to save money. Airbnb in Cabos san lucas. Rent a car for a Costco Run (make sure the Airbnb has a BBQ - and save $$$$)
Snorkel/Swim with her, walks along the beach at night is fantastic. Cheap rock tours - 10-15 USD.
Mexican food. And chill beside the water?
Yea that's not too bad. Just waiting for what she wants. I think she is more into hot spring though. It will be weird too if she just wants to go as a friend or one night stand? IDK girls are weird lol. I let her decide.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:28 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Yea that's not too bad. Just waiting for what she wants. I think she is more into hot spring though. It will be weird too if she just wants to go as a friend or one night stand? IDK girls are weird lol. I let her decide.
Get some liquor in her and show her a good time. That' might make her want a relationship.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:46 AM   #124
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Anyone else feel that's kinda fishy how she randomly decides to ask you out to a trip after no communication for almost a year?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #125
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Anyone else feel that's kinda fishy how she randomly decides to ask you out to a trip after no communication for almost a year?
some ladies are strange like that tho,i've heard of women in their mid 20s turn down a guy 3 times and "friend zone" him the entire time Than she trusts him and dates later on....